Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-07-2015, 12:23 PM   #57

Thanks. As usual good info on this forum. I'm headed to DMV in a few days. Travel safe.

2005 Country Coach Inspire, C9 CAT

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-07-2015, 01:07 PM   #58

Entegra Owners Club
Just Driver License
Class B under it.
Some offices don't know which tests to give.
One test, 20 questions, no backing up.

navychop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 01:08 PM   #59

Entegra Owners Club
Not needed for Non CDL change of class, just the one chapter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harricat55 View Post
Found this site while prepping for written test.

Free CDL Practice Tests - Online Permit Questions & Answers

Has knowledge practice test that could be useful in passing the Texas non-CDL Class A/B test and pass the skills test.
Old 05-07-2015, 01:55 PM   #60

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawgguy View Post
Above the expiration date it lists the classes (B&M for me for class B and for motorcycle).
Mine says Class A. Funny thing, I had to get a CLASS A to tow my previous 18K 5th wheel, which automatically qualifies me to drive any Motorhome, pulling any size trailer. I have never actually taken a driving test in a DP.
Roadmaster Blackhawk 2, RVI2 Brake System
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 01:52 PM   #61

Entegra Owners Club
Tow anything over 10K lbs, that's Class A.
Old 05-08-2015, 01:56 PM   #62

Entegra Owners Club
How did it go in Marble Falls?
Old 05-08-2015, 11:01 PM   #63

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Things seem to be stabilizing...

I went to Granbury to take my written test. This was after I went in to get the proper forms and learn about what chapters the test was from. I was assuming I would have to take the CDL written test and the forms I was given was for a CDL.

When I got there to take the test, the supervisor was at the desk and she apologized and said that I had been given the wrong forms... I simply needed a Class B license, not a CDL B...and the test would only be from the one chapter (as identified above in earlier posts). So I went to the back and completed the new forms and then immediately took the test...there were the 20 questions and I passed. The questions seemed dumb to me....why do they ask me how high above the road surface the marker lights must be (24" or 30")?....since the manufacturer built the coach, and I promise I'm not going to modify them! Many of the other questions was equally silly...but learn the chapter and you will pass. Now I'm off to Waxahachie to take my drivers test...in 30 days! That's the soonest date I could find around here....oh well. Should be legal soon. If I had just kept my last coach...she was less than 26,000 lbs!
Old 05-09-2015, 01:04 AM   #64

Forest River Owners Club
I also have been told more than once that it's not a requirement UNLESS YOU ARE FOR HIRE...,
Old 05-10-2015, 04:23 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by navychop View Post
Tow anything over 10K lbs, that's Class A.
Class A license in Texas is required to drive a combination over 26,000 pounds and the trailer is over 10,000 pounds. The weights used to determine what class of license is needed are taken from the vehicle manufacturer's GVWR. If the manufacturer's GVWR assigned to the particular vehicle cannot be found printed on a tag or sticker on the vehicle, then, and only then, can actual or registered (whichever is greater) can be used.

Class B license in Texas is required to operate any vehicle, or combination of vehicles, over 26,000 pounds. If a combination is over 26,000 pounds the trailer must be rated at 10,000 pounds or less.

So as a pratical matter, you can tow a 12,000 pound fifth wheel with a pick up rated at 14,000 GVWR and you only need a class C license. The combination does not add up to exceed 26,000 pounds so the trailer weight is not relevant.

Texas licensing is a separate issue from determining whether a vehicle is engaged in either interstate or intrastate commerce, so you can write whatever you want on the outside of your motorhome about being for hire or not and it has no relevance to Texas license requirements. In fact it doesn't have any impact on whether you are engaged in commerce for the purposes of applying Federal Motor Carrier requirements.
Old 05-10-2015, 04:43 PM   #66

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by B52Guy View Post
I went to Granbury to take my written test. This was after I went in to get the proper forms and learn about what chapters the test was from. I was assuming I would have to take the CDL written test and the forms I was given was for a CDL.

When I got there to take the test, the supervisor was at the desk and she apologized and said that I had been given the wrong forms... I simply needed a Class B license, not a CDL B...and the test would only be from the one chapter (as identified above in earlier posts). So I went to the back and completed the new forms and then immediately took the test...there were the 20 questions and I passed. The questions seemed dumb to me....why do they ask me how high above the road surface the marker lights must be (24" or 30")?....since the manufacturer built the coach, and I promise I'm not going to modify them! Many of the other questions was equally silly...but learn the chapter and you will pass. Now I'm off to Waxahachie to take my drivers test...in 30 days! That's the soonest date I could find around here....oh well. Should be legal soon. If I had just kept my last coach...she was less than 26,000 lbs!
You may want to check with Hillsboro to see if you can get an appointment to take the driving test. Very knowledgeable, professional people there, and not crowded.
gfs1943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 04:45 PM   #67

B52, at least Granbury has a clue. In Garland I jumped thru all the hoops and ended up with a commercial B with a restriction to carry private property. I should have gone elsewhere. All I wanted was the B endorsement on a standard license-just like the M for my motorcycle.

2005 Country Coach Inspire, C9 CAT
Old 05-10-2015, 04:50 PM   #68

Country Coach Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
In Texas any vehicle or combination over 26,001# requires a license. Class A for trailer/5er. Class B for motorhome/bus.

Something to remember if you are full-time or travel extensively. The license cannot be renewed online like your class C can. You must appear in person for renewal.
Jurhee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 07:21 PM   #69

Tested for Class B in Hempstead

I took my written test in Spring, TX. I studied only Chapter 14 and did well on the test, only missing one item. Then a friend and I both made appointments for the driving test in Hempstead. When he made his appointment, he was told there would be no air brake test during the driving portion of the test. When I made my appointment, at the same place, I was told there would be an air brake test requirement. Funny thing was, when he took his test, he was required to do the air brake test, but when I went for my driving test, I wasn't asked to do the air brake test. The driving test in Hempstead was an easy straightforward test course. Nothing hard, not too much traffic. I had no problems and no point deductions.

I did find through the whole effort of getting ready to test, there was a lot of confusion among the DPS Test Center personnel. Be sure to know what the requirements are and ensure you find someone that understands what you need to be tested on.
John219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 09:12 PM   #70

I'm still a bit unclear about the requirements for class A towing a toad. It seems a lot of class A gassers have a GVWR of 26000 lbs and a GCWR of 30000 lbs.

Does that mean I can drive the MH with my class C license but if I wan't to tow a toad I have to get a class B?

Tags
driver