Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-10-2015, 08:30 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxg0001 View Post
I'm still a bit unclear about the requirements for class A towing a toad. It seems a lot of class A gassers have a GVWR of 26000 lbs and a GCWR of 30000 lbs.

Does that mean I can drive the MH with my class C license but if I wan't to tow a toad I have to get a class B?
Yes. you are correct. A motorhome (gas or diesel) with a manufacturer's GVWR of 26,000 would only require a Texas resident to possess a standard class C Driver's License. Any trailer rated at one pound or more added to your motorhome would put your combination at 26,001- the magic number for a class B or A. The GVWR on your trailer of 10,000 and under would require a class B, and 10,001 GVWR trailer would require a class A. And TOAD is a trailer (technically a "full trailer" if towed four down).

So here is a fun scenario: Take a motorhome with a manufacturer's GVWR of 20,000 pounds (so a class C so far) and then say you want to tow a 7,500 pound GVWR pick up behind it and now you are over 26,000 pounds in combination so you need a class B. But now go and get a tow dolly with a GVWR of 6,000 pounds and put your 7,500 pound pick up on the tow dolly and, poof, you only need a class C (because the tow dolly of 6,000 pounds added to the 20,000 pound motorhome is not more than 26,000 pounds!
PatrickJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-10-2015, 08:37 PM   #72

Newmar Owners Club
Do I also then have to assume that when I go for the driving test with my 26000 lbs MH I will have to have my toad in tow since otherwise I wouldn't require a class B license?
dxg0001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 08:52 PM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxg0001 View Post
Do I also then have to assume that when I go for the driving test with my 26000 lbs MH I will have to have my toad in tow since otherwise I wouldn't require a class B license?
My understanding is that you have to have the class of vehicle for which you are testing. So a 26,000 GVWR motorhome with no toad doesn't count for a class B license. You could attach your TOAD, or use a different motorhome with a GVWR over 26,000 (if you happen to have access to one).

I have not tested for a B or A and I don't have experience in issuing the licenses so you would be best to check with your DPS testing office to be certain what you would need to bring for your test.
Old 05-10-2015, 10:17 PM   #74

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickJ View Post
Yes. you are correct. A motorhome (gas or diesel) with a manufacturer's GVWR of 26,000 would only require a Texas resident to possess a standard class C Driver's License. Any trailer rated at one pound or more added to your motorhome would put your combination at 26,001- the magic number for a class B or A. The GVWR on your trailer of 10,000 and under would require a class B, and 10,001 GVWR trailer would require a class A. And TOAD is a trailer (technically a "full trailer" if towed four down).
You are correct to the letter of the law, but that sure opened up a new can of worms. That would mean that almost nobody's legal to drive any size Class A and tow a vehicle with a Class C license
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 05:31 AM   #75

Quote:

So here is a fun scenario: Take a motorhome with a manufacturer's GVWR of 20,000 pounds (so a class C so far) and then say you want to tow a 7,500 pound GVWR pick up behind it and now you are over 26,000 pounds in combination so you need a class B. But now go and get a tow dolly with a GVWR of 6,000 pounds and put your 7,500 pound pick up on the tow dolly and, poof, you only need a class C (because the tow dolly of 6,000 pounds added to the 20,000 pound motorhome is not more than 26,000 pounds!
I have to disagree. The class of license is dictated by the vehicle you are driving, and its GVWR, not the combined weight of the caravan. So if your pickup is 26,000 pounds or under by itself, then only a class C license is required regardless of the combined vehicle weight. I was in Marble Falls taking the driving test (from a grumpy old man by the way) and there was a discussion with a gentleman wanting to take the Class A non-CDL license and the examiner was telling him it wasn't needed regardless of the weight of the trailer (fiver > 10,000).

Given the state of confusion in Texas DPS licensing on this kind of issue, you may well get a different answer from different people. But the written language is clear about it being the weight of the vehicle (26,001# or more requires a class B or A license) the weight of the trailer determines if it is a B or C license). No where is the combined weight mentioned.

P.S., I passed the driving test so now I am completely legal, I hope.
jrusselltx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 08:45 AM   #76

Entegra Owners Club
Congratulations, nice to be legal.
navychop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 10:30 PM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrusselltx View Post
I have to disagree. The class of license is dictated by the vehicle you are driving, and its GVWR, not the combined weight of the caravan. So if your pickup is 26,000 pounds or under by itself, then only a class C license is required regardless of the combined vehicle weight. I was in Marble Falls taking the driving test (from a grumpy old man by the way) and there was a discussion with a gentleman wanting to take the Class A non-CDL license and the examiner was telling him it wasn't needed regardless of the weight of the trailer (fiver > 10,000).

Given the state of confusion in Texas DPS licensing on this kind of issue, you may well get a different answer from different people. But the written language is clear about it being the weight of the vehicle (26,001# or more requires a class B or A license) the weight of the trailer determines if it is a B or C license). No where is the combined weight mentioned.

P.S., I passed the driving test so now I am completely legal, I hope.

Congratulations on passing!

The class B license in Texas for Texas residents is required for:
-A vehicle with a GVWR of MORE than 26,000 pounds;
-A vehicle with a GVWR of 26,000 pounds or more towing a vehicle with a GVWR of not more than 10,000.

There is widespread misunderstanding on these issues. The law is as clear as the law is - and it's pretty clear. If you get an opinion contrary to the law from a DPS worker then the worker is wrong.

Please feel free to check the license requirements in the law for yourself. It can be found in Texas Transportation Code Section 521.081- for Class A and 521.082 for class B (non-CDL license law).

Happy Motoring!

Edit- Since I read the law my happy little fun scenario I posted on the truck with a GVWR of 20,000 is wrong- the trailer weight doesn't matter unless the power unit has a GVWR of 26,000 pounds- sorry for the misleading example. Please check the Transportation code sections quoted above so you can understand what the law requires if you are interested. Thanks.
Old 05-12-2015, 06:35 AM   #78

Quote:
Congratulations on passing!

The class B license in Texas for Texas residents is required for:
-A vehicle with a GVWR of MORE than 26,000 pounds;
-A vehicle with a GVWR of 26,000 pounds or more towing a vehicle with a GVWR of not more than 10,000.

There is widespread misunderstanding on these issues. The law is as clear as the law is - and it's pretty clear. If you get an opinion contrary to the law from a DPS worker then the worker is wrong.

Please feel free to check the license requirements in the law for yourself. It can be found in Texas Transportation Code Section 521.081- for Class A and 521.082 for class B (non-CDL license law).

Happy Motoring!

Edit- Since I read the law my happy little fun scenario I posted on the truck with a GVWR of 20,000 is wrong- the trailer weight doesn't matter unless the power unit has a GVWR of 26,000 pounds- sorry for the misleading example. Please check the Transportation code sections quoted above so you can understand what the law requires if you are interested. Thanks.
Agreed. Just for grins I checked the 2015 F350 Super Duty. It's maximum GVWR is 14,000 pounds. Other HD trucks may be different but I doubt any of them would reach 26,000 pounds. It can tow up to 19,000 pounds. The F450 can tow up to 31,200 pounds in a fifth wheel configuration. All of that is perfectly legal with a Class C license.
jrusselltx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 08:48 AM   #79

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrusselltx View Post
Agreed. Just for grins I checked the 2015 F350 Super Duty. It's maximum GVWR is 14,000 pounds. Other HD trucks may be different but I doubt any of them would reach 26,000 pounds. It can tow up to 19,000 pounds. The F450 can tow up to 31,200 pounds in a fifth wheel configuration. All of that is perfectly legal with a Class C license.
Not sure how you come to that conclusion. This is straight out of the Texas Traffic Code.

Quote:
SUBCHAPTER D. CLASSIFICATION OF DRIVER'S LICENSES

Sec. 521.081. CLASS A LICENSE. A Class A driver's license authorizes the holder of the license to operate:
(1) a vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating of 26,001 pounds or more; or
(2) a combination of vehicles that has a gross combination weight rating of 26,001 pounds or more, if the gross vehicle weight rating of any vehicle or vehicles in tow is more than 10,000 pounds.

Acts 1995, 74th Leg., ch. 165, Sec. 1, eff. Sept. 1, 1995.

Sec. 521.082. CLASS B LICENSE. (a) A Class B driver's license authorizes the holder of the license to operate:
(1) a vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating that is more than 26,000 pounds;
(2) a vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating of 26,000 pounds or more towing:
(A) a vehicle, other than a farm trailer, with a gross vehicle weight rating that is not more than 10,000 pounds; or
(B) a farm trailer with a gross vehicle weight rating that is not more than 20,000 pounds; and
(3) a bus with a seating capacity of 24 passengers or more.
(b) For the purposes of Subsection (a)(3), seating capacity is computed in accordance with Section 502.253, except that the operator's seat is included in the computation.

Acts 1995, 74th Leg., ch. 165, Sec. 1, eff. Sept. 1, 1995.
Amended by:
Acts 2013, 83rd Leg., R.S., Ch. 161 (S.B. 1093), Sec. 20.017, eff. September 1, 2013.

Sec. 521.083. CLASS C LICENSE. A Class C driver's license authorizes the holder of the license to operate:
(1) a vehicle or combination of vehicles not described by Section 521.081 or 521.082; and
(2) a vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating of less than 26,001 pounds towing a farm trailer with a gross vehicle weight rating that is not more than 20,000 pounds.
Old 05-12-2015, 08:57 AM   #80

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
(4) "Gross combination weight rating" has the meaning assigned by Section 522.003.
Quote:
522.003.(17) "Gross combination weight rating" means the value specified by the manufacturer as the loaded weight of a combination or articulated vehicle or, if the manufacturer has not specified a value, the sum of the gross vehicle weight rating of the power unit and the total weight of the towed unit or units and any load on a towed unit.
My previous F350 had a GCWR of 30500. Or 14K GVWR + 18K for the 5th wheel, since it was certified by the manufacturer. I have a Class A.
Old 05-12-2015, 10:02 AM   #81

Country Coach Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
One thing that I have not seen mentioned----The class A or B license must be renewed in person. It cannot be done on-line like the class C. I did not realize this and had to make a quick trip from CA one year and got back on the last day to renew.
Old 05-12-2015, 10:13 AM   #82

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurhee View Post
One thing that I have not seen mentioned----The class A or B license must be renewed in person. It cannot be done on-line like the class C. I did not realize this and had to make a quick trip from CA one year and got back on the last day to renew.
I was not aware of this either. Not a problem for me at this time, but it would require some advance planning if you were out of state.
Old 05-12-2015, 03:22 PM   #83

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
OP, driving test.

Got earlier date to take driving test. Boy 2 days earlier!
I went first. Only did a "fair" job doing parallel parking. I Passed this test first time again. Knowing Air Brake Tests are a must
Female tester wanted to know more about our new RV than anything else. Was a little distracted almost missed a turn.
Wife went second. Very last turn hit a curb. Automatic failure. Told to come back in AM to retake.
1. Avoid distractions
2. Stay relaxed
3. Turn signal every lane change
4. Seat belt as soon as you sit down.
5. Bring your own chalks.
6. Ask if you don't understand anything.

Good driving habits will make a big difference.
Old 05-13-2015, 06:43 AM   #84

Entegra Owners Club
Odd how it differs. I had no chocks, no backing up, no air brake test.
navychop is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
driver