Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-04-2015, 10:24 AM   #99

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanso View Post
Jimmy was talking about California requirements. CA does require a medical exam every 2 yrs.
Sorry I missed the "Cali" reference. With that in mind, I'm not surprised.

Roadmaster Blackhawk 2, RVI2 Brake System
Scottybdivin is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-04-2015, 10:38 AM   #100

CA only requires the medical for a CDL. You do need a non CDL class B for anything over 40ft. Personally I just kept my Class A CDL.

Old 06-04-2015, 10:58 AM   #101

Quote:
Originally Posted by slemnah View Post
CA only requires the medical for a CDL. You do need a non CDL class B for anything over 40ft. Personally I just kept my Class A CDL.
Not correct, CA requires a simplified Health Questionnaire for a non commercial Class A or B.

Old 06-04-2015, 11:22 AM   #102

What chapters in the CDL manual are for RV operators looking to obtain a non-CDL A/B ?
Old 06-04-2015, 01:53 PM   #103

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by fooler View Post
What chapters in the CDL manual are for RV operators looking to obtain a non-CDL A/B ?
They are primarily from Chapter 14 and the air brake test procedure. The test has such inane questions as "Since 1972 a farm tractor is required to have what type of lighting", "What is the minimum and maximum height of tail lights and brake lights on a trailer?", "What is the maximum front overhang allowed on a pole trailer?", "What is the maximum length of a tow rope allowed and what color flag has to be tied to it?"

Those are just a few of the examples of questions that had nothing to do with the operation of a motor home. There are 20 questions and you can miss 6 and still pass. It's not difficult, but straight from the CDL book.

I just took the driving test (and passed) yesterday in Hurst. The examiner was very professional and the test was a pretty much by the book CDL test as they do a lot of CDL examinations every day. The driving test included full equipment check, air brake test, a number of right and left turns, a freeway entrance and exit, 100 foot straight backing and right side parallel parking. The examiner did warn that if you run over a curb, the test stops there and you can try again later. I was only marked down for stopping too close behind traffic one time and failing to fully turn my head and look at one stop sign.
'12 Jeep Wrangler Sport and/or '08 Honda Goldwing
Lt Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 02:40 PM   #104

^^ great info right there ^^ thanks.
Old 06-05-2015, 08:52 AM   #105

This has been an interesting thread. Thanks for all the great posts.

In Arkansas you just have to fog the mirror for the passenger license and pay the taxes.
Old 06-05-2015, 11:45 AM   #106

I finally took my written test for the non-CDL class B passed now I have to go back next week and compete with HS kids to take the road test. The written test was okay I did miss some of the questions that seem to pertain more to semi trucks but the rest seemed to cover Chapter 14.
Old 06-05-2015, 12:37 PM   #107

Fleetwood Owners Club
Went and took the written part of my test today, it was all straight out of Chap 14. Walked right into MF, not a single person there, was able to get everything done in just a couple minutes. By the time I left, there must have been 30 people waiting, tons of High School kids since today is first day with no school.

Crazy part is, there is no way to pre-book the driving test, guy told me I have to show up every morning at 6am and wait in line for a slot, and hope there is not too many ahead of me so I get a slot. Guy said "its kind of weird, were getting a lot of people from Houston, San Antonio, Austin, Waco, etc., not sure why they are all coming to MF to do these Non-commercial tests here. Most of these people probably drove by a dozen DPS offices to get here."
Old 06-05-2015, 12:46 PM   #108

Monaco Owners Club
^ the secret is out!
Thunderfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 01:55 PM   #109

Ford Super Duty Owner
So I just did the written Class-A test (5th wheel) in Austin (Lamar location). They did not know what to test me on and eventually called DPS "commercial office". As a result they tested me over 3 different chapters.

I passed Chapter 14 no problems.
Chapter 6 I failed. This chapter is airbrakes, and truck/trailer stuff.
And there was a "General commercial" that I failed also.

I was insistent and pointed out on the CDL-2 form which written test is required (only one).

They wouldn't issue a permit, so I drove over to the "CDL" location around the corner on Denson Dr.

What I was told was that DPS now requires passing chapter 6 and Chapter 14 as part of non-CDL class-A (and perhaps Class-B). I asked her to show me where it said that in writing and again pointed out the CDL-2 form, where only one test is required. She said it was a policy change in-force as of 2015 and that docs had not been updated.

So I studied Chapter 6, re-took that portion, and they issued a "learners permit" for Class-A.

I don't know if this is right or wrong. Documents do NOT match the policy that I ran into, but this is the office that the others are calling for clarification.

Point of contact:
512-424-2719 / 512-424-2490 / 512-424-2491

DPS offices may or may not answer the phone, but that's the *most* direct number I can find to people who know Class-A and Class-B. I'd highly recommend that you call and figure out what to expect before you waste a few hours (like me).
Old 06-05-2015, 02:22 PM   #110

I also highly recommend the Austin CDL facility for both written and driving. When I took my class B driving there they talked you through a "mock" air brake test then away you go. Easy peasy and they are the experts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb1000rider View Post
So I just did the written Class-A test (5th wheel) in Austin (Lamar location). They did not know what to test me on and eventually called DPS "commercial office". As a result they tested me over 3 different chapters.

I passed Chapter 14 no problems.
Chapter 6 I failed. This chapter is airbrakes, and truck/trailer stuff.
And there was a "General commercial" that I failed also.

I was insistent and pointed out on the CDL-2 form which written test is required (only one).

They wouldn't issue a permit, so I drove over to the "CDL" location around the corner on Denson Dr.

What I was told was that DPS now requires passing chapter 6 and Chapter 14 as part of non-CDL class-A (and perhaps Class-B). I asked her to show me where it said that in writing and again pointed out the CDL-2 form, where only one test is required. She said it was a policy change in-force as of 2015 and that docs had not been updated.

So I studied Chapter 6, re-took that portion, and they issued a "learners permit" for Class-A.

I don't know if this is right or wrong. Documents do NOT match the policy that I ran into, but this is the office that the others are calling for clarification.

Point of contact:
512-424-2719 / 512-424-2490 / 512-424-2491

DPS offices may or may not answer the phone, but that's the *most* direct number I can find to people who know Class-A and Class-B. I'd highly recommend that you call and figure out what to expect before you waste a few hours (like me).
Old 06-05-2015, 03:00 PM   #111

I currently live in CA and have a Class B non cml license for my 43 ft RV. I am planning to move back to Texas later this year. Probably the Austin/Lake Travis area.

Will the Texas DMV honor the reciprocity agreement and issue me a Class B non cml based on my current CA license..... or will I have to go through another pita testing process?
Bill-MACV21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 03:08 PM   #112

Fleetwood Owners Club
Texas will swap you straight across, no testing needed.

Tags
driver