Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-05-2015, 03:10 PM   #113

I would call the number for the Austin CDL center and ask them. That way you will get a straight answer and then can go there for license exchange. Good luck!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-05-2015, 03:48 PM   #114

Cb1000 I went thru the same goat rope in Garland. After all was said & done I got the commercial B with restriction that I could only transport my own stuff. I found out many places in Texas you can get a class B (& likely A) endorsement for a regular non commercial license. Most DPS offices have not a clue. Livingston does and I've heard Marble Falls does as well. Good luck!

2005 Country Coach Inspire, C9 CAT

Old 06-06-2015, 08:06 AM   #115

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DegoRed View Post
Crazy part is, there is no way to pre-book the driving test, guy told me I have to show up every morning at 6am and wait in line for a slot, and hope there is not too many ahead of me so I get a slot. Guy said "its kind of weird, were getting a lot of people from Houston, San Antonio, Austin, Waco, etc., not sure why they are all coming to MF to do these Non-commercial tests here. Most of these people probably drove by a dozen DPS offices to get here."
Wow! When I took mine there 3 years ago, I called the day before and was told to be there to sign up at 8 AM. There was only one person ahead of me, and I was told to come back at 9. I drove down to the Bluebonnet Cafe and had breakfast, went back, and took the test.
Roadmaster Blackhawk 2, RVI2 Brake System
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 10:38 AM   #116

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottybdivin View Post
Call in advance because they only do them on certain days of the week.
I've tried that a few times, but they don't answer the phone... PM me if you've got a better number or know which days.
Old 06-08-2015, 02:44 PM   #117

Ford Super Duty Owner
Note, I complained to DPS after taking 3 tests. Got a call back today. Apparently there was no internal policy or memo and I should have only been given the Class-A "commercial rules" test....

My advice is to write (email) and ask for clarification prior to taking the test, as well as a point of contact. That email form is here:
https://www.txdps.state.tx.us/Driver...ice/Other.aspx

I mentioned that other people were having problems and I received the "first time we've heard about it...."
Old 06-09-2015, 03:02 PM   #118

Ford Super Duty Owner
Example test questions attached for Chapter 14 - "Commercial Rules".
The "study" book is here: http://www.e-gears.com/manuals/TX_CDL_Manual.pdf
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Commercial_rules_test_questions_TX.pdf (881.7 KB, 64 views)
Old 06-10-2015, 01:52 PM   #119

slemnah, CA now requires a medical for the non-commercial class B also. It used to be that the form for the non-commercial license was a self-certify deal, but it has been replaced with one that contains the same questions, except they have been reworded to be filled out by a physician. I had to get a doctor to fill it out and sign it. It was the first one he had seen.
Old 06-10-2015, 07:00 PM   #120

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeGee View Post
slemnah, CA now requires a medical for the non-commercial class B also. It used to be that the form for the non-commercial license was a self-certify deal, but it has been replaced with one that contains the same questions, except they have been reworded to be filled out by a physician. I had to get a doctor to fill it out and sign it. It was the first one he had seen.
What is the form number?
Old 06-12-2015, 02:16 PM   #121

The old form is called the DL 546 "Health Questionaire" and the new one is DL 546A "Physician's Health Report". Parts of the DMV website still reference the old form and parts of it reference the new one. From https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/?1...orms/dl/dl546a

A new medical form has been developed for drivers requesting a 45-foot housecar endorsement and individuals applying for a driving instructor license. The Physicians Health Report, DL 546A will now be required for these individuals.

All original applicants must submit, at the time of the application and every two years thereafter, a Physicians Health Report for DL 546A completed and signed by a licensed physician. An applicant who has a Health Questionnaire DL 546 on file must also submit a Physician's Health Report, DL 546A. Exception: An applicant who is required to have and maintains a current Medical Examination Report for DL 51, will be excluded from this requirement. The following license classes are exempt from obtaining the 45-foot housecar endorsement:

Commercial Classes A and B
Noncommercial A
All firefighter licenses
Old 06-12-2015, 05:08 PM   #122

Fleetwood Owners Club
Went back to MF today and did my driving test. Was a brutal adventure, that ended in success.

The driving test was easy, even though I got a lot of demerits. All ticky tack stuff such as: turning my turn signal on too early before I made my turn; or at a stop light, getting too close to the car in front of me, and yes 7 ft spacing is too close I am told; or not having my hands at 10 & 2 on steering wheel, 4 & 8 is bad I was told.

Glad its done with.
Old 06-12-2015, 05:11 PM   #123

Ford Super Duty Owner
Interesting.. I'm going to PM you. I called DPS to see if I could arrange a driving test at MF (Marble Falls) - they don't me that DPS didn't do the tests.. At all...

Marble Falls (direct number) - they don't answer and you can't leave a message.

DPS = an exercise in frustration.
Old 06-13-2015, 08:43 AM   #124

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Went back to MF today and did my driving test. Was a brutal adventure, that ended in success.

The driving test was easy, even though I got a lot of demerits. All ticky tack stuff such as: turning my turn signal on too early before I made my turn; or at a stop light, getting too close to the car in front of me, and yes 7 ft spacing is too close I am told; or not having my hands at 10 & 2 on steering wheel, 4 & 8 is bad I was told.

Glad its done with.
Good job. At least the streets are nice and wide in that business pak. Beats driving down to North Lamar.
Roadmaster Blackhawk 2, RVI2 Brake System
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 09:40 AM   #125

Quote:

Glad its done with.
If you have airbags I though they want you to NOT have your hands at 10 & 2. Then this would only come into play with a RV that had airbags which not of the Class As do.
Old 06-14-2015, 09:29 AM   #126

I took the written test and road test in Marble Falls the written test covered chapters 5, 11 and 14 in the Texas Commercial Motor Vehicle Drivers Handbook. The road test consisted of a walk around to check that all lights worked the road test was a series of right and left turns on residential streets and highway 281. What they looked for was use of turn/signal indicators, checking mirrors constantly, distance from stop lights/signs, if your turns were clean or sloppy, speed to slow or fast and of course check mirrors and fasten seatbelt before starting. No backing, no parallel parking other than finishing the test but it was pull in not back in and no air brake test.

After reading all of the threads on here Texas really needs to clean up the testing for non-CDL A&B. The state should get some of the testers together and standardize the written test and road test so no matter where you take them it would be the same.

Tags
driver