Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-30-2012, 05:28 PM   #15

Thanks for advice on Parallel parking in TX driving exam

Thanks to each and every one who replied to my question about parallel parking. Took my driving test, did not need to p. park, passed the test after parallel parking my motorhome myself (before the test) next to the curb in front of the examiner's office in Boerne, TX.
rwbed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-30-2012, 10:23 PM   #16

Thor Owners Club
see it was easy wasnt it? Congrads
Fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 06:23 AM   #17

Entegra Owners Club
I took the B non CDL driving test in Lubbock last Friday. Girl that gave the test was real nice. She started off by pointing out that if I hit a curb it was an automatic failure. Then we proceeded to leave the parking lot from an approach that couldn't have been more than 2 feet wider than our RV onto a narrow downtown street! Yikes, but I made it. Drove about a one mile course thru downtown and then had to parallel park in the same parking lot with the skinny approach. Hit my park spot dead on but got docked 2 points because when I pulled forward my wheels made more than 2 rotations? Oh well, you're allowed to miss 30 points total so only missing 2 points was a victory!
TerryO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 07:07 AM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Returning from South Texas, took my test in Uvalde. No driving test required.
mikelm48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 08:53 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelm48
I am in the Uvalde area could you tell me more about how you managed not to take a driving test
Mike K
Mknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 09:00 AM   #20
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Hi Mike.

I think I have an answer. It depends on the inspector for the day, how many test they have lined up, and their mood at the time. Also, attitude of the person being tested may come into play.

Example: I had a Class A CDL with air restriction. That means I could not drive anything with air brakes. We upgraded our prime mover and I needed the air restriction removed, so I had to re-take the written test on air brakes, and I had to have a vehicle there with air brakes for the driving test.

I aced the written test. My personality is a jovial one (sometimes gets me in trouble) and in a nice jovial way I stated to the inspector on our way out, "Wow, I ace the written test and now I'm going to take the driving test. You would think I would have to do that. (me chuckling)" The inspector stopped in the hallway and said, let me ask you a couple questions, and proceeded to ask me two questions about the air brake system. I answered correctly and the inspector said, "You passed." Got my restriction dropped. (This was in Galveston County, Texas.)

So it really depends on the moment of the day.

Good luck.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 09:18 AM   #21

Tiffin Owners Club
I took my driving test in Lewisville and did not have to parallel park. The inspector lady was all business and passed me with just a couple of points taken off. I think they have to find something to write down because I thought I did a perfect job.
Old 03-31-2012, 10:35 AM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Parallel parking is not required on the driving test -some little towns may require it as they so not want to mess with the RV's - check around where you can take the test without this. Good Luck CL
CLarence39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 10:43 AM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelm48 View Post
My understanding is that requiring the driving test is a local perogative and Uvalde does not do the driving test. Just go in and tell them you want to get a Class B for a MH. You will have to pass the written test, pictures, fingerprints, etc. and you are done. You will get your license in a few weeks.
Old 03-31-2012, 11:37 PM   #24
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Wow! And I always thought that all municipalities had to abide by State laws. I guess I don't know much. I'm not saying I don't believe you, I'm just astonished.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 11:51 AM   #25

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
Wow! And I always thought that all municipalities had to abide by State laws. I guess I don't know much. I'm not saying I don't believe you, I'm just astonished.
Wayne, as I understand it, it is not my municipality, but it is up to the individual DL office. I believe I read that on another thread here on iRV2.
Old 04-01-2012, 09:51 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
I believe Mikelm48 is correct. It's at the discretion of the DL office. Just like parallel parking is hit & miss. Some make you do it; others don't.
blue lacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 10:12 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue lacy View Post
I believe Mikelm48 is correct. It's at the discretion of the DL office. Just like parallel parking is hit & miss. Some make you do it; others don't.
This is really surprising to me that local DL offices have that kind of discretion. I guess I can see the state allowing them to decide whether or not to require things like parallel parking of a Class A... but IMO that's a lot different than giving them the freedom to decide that no driving test at all is required.

I have a bit of a bias toward states requiring more testing before allowing people to drive very large vehicles so this seems like a step backward from where I thought things were.

Thanks for the info.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 05:07 PM   #28

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
ok lets all laugh
I took my test back in dec
i had to parallel park the bus
kept thinking WHY, as i doubt it will ever be required in the real world of driving the big old bus......
fast forward to two weeks ago as we headed to south texas along I35 between Austin and San Antonio, I needed to make water
so i pull into the rest area and low and behold its FULL and only has parking on the sides of the lane.
so i slowly drive through looking for a spot to pull in and be close to the curb.
I found it, it was a space about 60 feet long and on both ends were rv's.
so now being the newly certified parallel parker of big m/h's I eased up and backed in and then pulled up tp straighten out. All without to much ado and not blocking traffic. you just never know
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
texas