Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-03-2012, 11:21 AM   #29
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelm48 View Post
Wayne, as I understand it, it is not my municipality, but it is up to the individual DL office. I believe I read that on another thread here on iRV2.
I'm just surprised that they have the liberty on no test or test. I can understand the no parallel parking, as they have other means to measure driving capability. Having someone back-up 100 feet could easily demonstrate to the inspector that the person is "capable" of parallel parking. But for no driving test. Well, does every one at the DL office, including those for just driving a car get to "not take a test?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
This is really surprising to me that local DL offices have that kind of discretion. I guess I can see the state allowing them to decide whether or not to require things like parallel parking of a Class A... but IMO that's a lot different than giving them the freedom to decide that no driving test at all is required.

I have a bit of a bias toward states requiring more testing before allowing people to drive very large vehicles so this seems like a step backward from where I thought things were.

Thanks for the info.

Rick
I'm with you on this one Rick and I am also biased for stricter requirements for large vehicles, like MH's.

It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-03-2012, 06:18 PM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have to agree on stricter requirements for larger vehicles, be it a motorhome or a trailer and truck. It is a lot different than pulling your 17' bass boat to the lake.

Ken

Old 04-03-2012, 10:09 PM   #31

I don't understand why the requirements can change from municipality to municipality. It does speak to the fact that every DMV I called gave me a different answer as to what the requirements were for getting my class B. Personally, I don't care whether I need to back my coach up, parallel park it, describe how air brakes work, perform an oil change in front of an inspector or drive blindfolded (last two added for effect) but geez let's have some uniformity in the law. There is no reason why each individual DMV should have SO much latitude.
40GnTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 10:53 PM   #32
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Ah! Careful what one wishes for.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 07:56 AM   #33

About a month ago I went in to the DL office, took my written test, and scheduled my driving test for about two weeks later. One week later my wife went in, took her written test, and scheduled her driving test for about one month later. I took my driving test and was given a temporary Class B license. Yesterday my wife's new permanent Class B license arrived in the mail, though she hasn't taken the driving test. We both dealt with the same very affable employee.
Old 04-04-2012, 08:13 AM   #34

Damon Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to JimmyLeggett
took written test in Hillsboro, but scheduling problems so took the driving test in Corsicana; The lady was tough for sure. I had to parrell park ahead and also had to back into a parrell spot. I don't know how many points I got docked, that is not a parking style I had planed on using under normal conditions, but a couple of days of ago had the opportunity, meaning no choice, at Lowe's in Waco. I don't have a pick up truck, my utility vehicle is my little Scion.

Bought three doors, some 10 ft sections of crown molding and other goodies, took them out, open the basement door, slid out the tray and loaded them on, a perfect fit. I must say I did all right in the tight parking and manuevering scenario so I guess the DMV lady knew what she was doing after all
JimmyLeggett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 11:23 AM   #35

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mknight View Post
I am in the Uvalde area could you tell me more about how you managed not to take a driving test
Mike K
I called Uvalde and the scheduled my driving test next Tuesday.
Wondering what will happen when I get there

Danny
Old 07-22-2012, 04:16 AM   #36

BS

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatlakes View Post
I thought Texas was the state of wide open spaces? (everything is bigger in Texas) right? I'm surprised they require testing for Class B MH.
My state doesnt even require a test for Class A with air brakes.. Although I think they should. I drove tractor trailer for 4 years while attending college and had my CDL so I'm comfortable driving it but to know others can just jump in and head out on the road without anything more than an operators license is scary to me.
Im a truck driver and can tel you rigt here CDL is not to help, if you can drive a car you can drive a MH, air brakes are just brakes you will get just to it,,every one cane do mistakes, CDL truck drivers to and are doin it every day
Old 07-22-2012, 06:21 AM   #37

When I took the test for my Class A (18 wheeler license) I had to parrell park the truck. The area they alloted was only a little larger than the trailer, 53 footer, and you had to end up with the trailer parked inside their cones and the cab of the truck 90 degrees to the trailer, now you talk about hard, that was hard Only had to use that trick once delivering tires to a warehouse in Brooklyn, last time I ever went there
Happy Trails
Jim
Chaffeekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 06:43 AM   #38

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Translators7 View Post
I called Uvalde and the scheduled my driving test next Tuesday.
Wondering what will happen when I get there

Danny
I'll be interested to hear what happens. When I took mine, I just parked my MH in front, walked in and took the written. No driving, unless they have changed their policy.
Old 07-24-2012, 01:40 PM   #39

Texas Driving test?

Hi

I live in the UK. Over here we have to have an HGV (CDL equiv) for anything over 7.5t (15,700lbs approx) As a retired Truck driver I have one.

However, we also own and use a Winnebago in the USA, Nothing fancy but it is a 22,000lb rig. (gas). I have been driving it on my UK licence with an International Permit. But as we are planning the "big trip" next year having now got your nice government to allow us up to 6 month on our Visa. I expect I shall be looking seriously at taking a Texas drivers test myself.

So it is interesting to see just how "hit and miss" this process is. Another thing that intrigues me is that I have been told that in order to take the test I must have a "social security number" as a "legal alien" how would one go about that? anyone know?

Pete
Old 07-24-2012, 04:32 PM   #40

I took my CDL (Class B) written and driving last September at Clarksville, Red River County, Texas. Written (covering Section 14 from Commercial Drivers License book) was easy if one studied material at all, and my driving portion was not difficult. It included a small amount of highway driving, some turns, and some backing up on old Wal Mart parking lot. Walk around inspection (lights, turn signals, etc) was done by instructor and I was consided a Class B driver when over. Official license came soon after.
buck454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 04:38 PM   #41
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by buck454 View Post
I took my CDL (Class B) written and driving last September at Clarksville, Red River County, Texas. Written (covering Section 14 from Commercial Drivers License book) was easy if one studied material at all, and my driving portion was not difficult. It included a small amount of highway driving, some turns, and some backing up on old Wal Mart parking lot. Walk around inspection (lights, turn signals, etc) was done by instructor and I was consided a Class B driver when over. Official license came soon after.
Congrats Buck.

Was this the CDL or the non-commercial Class B?

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 04:54 PM   #42
szy

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatlakes View Post
I thought Texas was the state of wide open spaces? (everything is bigger in Texas) right? I'm surprised they require testing for Class B MH.
My state doesnt even require a test for Class A with air brakes.. Although I think they should. I drove tractor trailer for 4 years while attending college and had my CDL so I'm comfortable driving it but to know others can just jump in and head out on the road without anything more than an operators license is scary to me.
I did it
learned on my own - why pay a TAX just to take a test ? 4 years no problems or tickets .
I get so tired when the government tries to control everything and that is ok with people . Just saying

szy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
texas