Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-10-2012, 03:48 PM   #1

Texas Class B driving license driving test

In the driving manual they talk about testing for ability to parallel park. Are they serious? Should I practice p.parking my 40 foot class A before going for my driving test? I would never parallel park.
rwbed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-10-2012, 04:30 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Great question. It's just about the dumbest thing I've ever heard and it sure wasn't requested when I took my test in Livingston. I only had to back up in a straight line for about 100 feet.

However, I do believe that I've read where others have been asked to make a maneuver similar to parallel parking but it wasn't in Livingston.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 04:36 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
I had to do it when I took the Class B test at one of the Houston locations. I forget which one. It's really not that much different than backing into an RV campsite.

joe
Old 03-10-2012, 06:27 PM   #4
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I never had to do it when getting my licenses, but I would say to never say "never." One of the best RV sites that I ever parked in, once with a 5th wheel, and twice with a 40 foot DP required parallel maneuvers. If I go back to the Military Campground at Quantico, it is one of the two sites that I request. They made some improvements to include new sewer drops and the one at in the Parallel site interferes with a simple maneuver and requires some jockeying.

So I never say "never."
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 05:20 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwbed1 View Post
In the driving manual they talk about testing for ability to parallel park. Are they serious? Should I practice p.parking my 40 foot class A before going for my driving test? I would never parallel park.
Just had this test in Carrollton. Yes. What they made me do was stop parallel to a curb in the parking lot about 20 feet away from its edge, back up and park as close to the curb as I could and then stop. Done. Not scary.
Old 03-21-2012, 08:52 AM   #6

I took the test in one of the San Antonio testing centers and they DID NOT require me to parallel park.
Old 03-21-2012, 08:58 AM   #7

When I took the driving test at the Plano location, she made me parallel park. It was in a large parking lot and just made me back toward the curb and stop where she was standing. Main thing they look for is to not hit the curb with your rear tires or have the rear overhang intrude over the curb when backing into the spot. Also had to back up in a straight line for about 100'.
dls461 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 09:05 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwbed1 View Post
My wife had to do a retest once. They came to the parallel parking area & the examiner asked her to park. She asked him how many points would he deduct for not doing it right. He said 3 points. She told him to just go ahead and deduct them as there was no need to waste their time. He just laughed & went onto the next portion of the test.
Old 03-21-2012, 09:57 AM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
We did ours in Tyler and only had to back up 100 ft., which is easy with a backup camera. I agree asking someone in a MH to parallel park is kind of strange, and we never back up when we are traveling because we have the toad behind us.

Barb
Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 10:19 AM   #10

I thought Texas was the state of wide open spaces? (everything is bigger in Texas) right? I'm surprised they require testing for Class B MH.
My state doesnt even require a test for Class A with air brakes.. Although I think they should. I drove tractor trailer for 4 years while attending college and had my CDL so I'm comfortable driving it but to know others can just jump in and head out on the road without anything more than an operators license is scary to me.
Old 03-21-2012, 10:40 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbaraok View Post
We did ours in Tyler and only had to back up 100 ft., which is easy with a backup camera. I agree asking someone in a MH to parallel park is kind of strange, and we never back up when we are traveling because we have the toad behind us.

Barb
I used to instruct and sponsor many CDL candidates for their licenses and I have heard this same sentiment expressed many times over the years.

Whether or not you will ever actually parallel park your rig isn't relevant. What the state is asking you to do is demonstrate that you possess the skills to do so. You will, in all likelihood, use those same skills when maneuvering your rig in close quarters in the future.
Craig_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 12:26 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatlakes View Post
I thought Texas was the state of wide open spaces? (everything is bigger in Texas) right? I'm surprised they require testing for Class B MH.
My state doesnt even require a test for Class A with air brakes.. Although I think they should. I drove tractor trailer for 4 years while attending college and had my CDL so I'm comfortable driving it but to know others can just jump in and head out on the road without anything more than an operators license is scary to me.
I think there's some confusion here.

To drive any vehicle which exceeds certain weight limits, Texas requires a Class B (or Class A) non commercial DL. The Class B references the type of DL required and not the class of MH.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 09:32 AM   #13

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig_R View Post
I used to instruct and sponsor many CDL candidates for their licenses and I have heard this same sentiment expressed many times over the years.

Whether or not you will ever actually parallel park your rig isn't relevant. What the state is asking you to do is demonstrate that you possess the skills to do so. You will, in all likelihood, use those same skills when maneuvering your rig in close quarters in the future.
Yes, but when I back into a site, I have my DH back there spotting me (or I am spotting him). I also get out and walk the site BEFORE we back in to make sure I know where things are, etc.

Barb
Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 11:05 AM   #14

I took my test in Mineral Wells, TX and the examiner made me parallel park and back up 100 feet as well. BTW - don't forget to put on your blinker before you begin to parallel park! They will ding you for it if you don't.
40GnTX is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
texas