Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-02-2016, 09:32 AM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottybdivin View Post
Congratulations indeed. I took my test in Marble Falls about 4 years ago for exactly the same reasons as you. I have an employee that we are trying to upgrade to a Class A CDL. He discovered the same thing as you. i told him to go to Marble Falls. He inquired and was told that they no longer offer CDL driving test, and that there are only 25 Skills Testing locations in the whole state of Texas now. I'm not sure if this is true for non-CDL, but that's pretty rediculous and explains the long waiting lists.
That's true for any class A or B license. They supposedly hired additional people at the 25 locations. I only had to wait a week to get an appointment in Waco. I went there even though it's farther because it's easier to get to than the one in Austin.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-02-2016, 09:44 AM   #30
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Wow! I gave up my CDL years ago when I stopped driving commercially and converted to Class A, even though federal law defines anything over 26000 pounds as commercial. That is the reason for the CDL-2 Form in Texas. There are 4 states requiring CDL and 15 states requiring "Special" licenses. Reference is here

Since Houston is the only one near me I'm happy that I already have a Class A. I don't mind driving through Houston but I sure would not want to be a beginning driver taking a test in that area. I'd opt to go to Livingston, camp at the Escapees park and take the test in Livingston.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 12:22 AM   #31

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Questions

Which 4 states require CDL? And if just visiting or passing through those states is there anything I would need to worry about not having a CDL ?

Thanks
Jim Jones
Old 09-18-2016, 06:11 AM   #32

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by RV-Writer View Post
Which 4 states require CDL? And if just visiting or passing through those states is there anything I would need to worry about not having a CDL ?

Thanks
Jim Jones
You only need to meet the licensing requirements for your state.
mikelm48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 08:02 AM   #33
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RV-Writer View Post

Thanks
Jim Jones
Jim,
Click on the reference I provided in post #30, and they are listed.

As Mike stated, if your are properly licensed in accordance with your state they you are properly licensed in all the other states.
Old 09-18-2016, 10:23 AM   #34

Tiffin Owners Club
Texas Dr. LIC.

[QUOTE=Deep Water D;3139334]We just moved to Texas and I need to get Class B non-CDL license. Problem is that the folks at the drivers license office couldn't even tell me what I need to study in the CDL manual and what the test will consist of. Anyone here know?[/QUO

You only have to have an operators license to operate an RV There are problems associate with CDL licenses as if you get a speeding ticket you do not have the opportunity to take a Defenseive class to get rid of the ticket. Check it out
Rkesselus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 10:34 AM   #35

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Thanks all

Thanks for the clarification all.

That makes sense!
Jim
Old 09-18-2016, 10:50 AM   #36

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
Wow! I gave up my CDL years ago when I stopped driving commercially and converted to Class A, even though federal law defines anything over 26000 pounds as commercial. That is the reason for the CDL-2 Form in Texas. There are 4 states requiring CDL and 15 states requiring "Special" licenses. Reference is here
From your reference:
Quote:
  • FMCSA regulations only address commercial motor vehicles (CMV)
  • RV's used strictly for recreational and other non-commercial functions do not meet the FMCSA definition of a CMV
So no state can require a CDL for a privately owned RV. They can require a different class of license though.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 11:04 AM   #37

Thor Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
From your reference:
So no state can require a CDL for a privately owned RV. They can require a different class of license though.
But Texas does require a non commercial class B License if unit is over 26,001 lbs. whether RV or other wise.

Hope this helps!
FMCA F451520 - Texas Boomers - RVM#128
Daveht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 09:38 PM   #38
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
From your reference:
There are 4 states that require CDL's based on their state regulations, DC, HI, IN, and WI

Look at the State Driver's License Summary and the statement "CDL - Indicates if CDL is required for non-commercial RV's". Then look at the very important part that states "The Information Confidence Levels." I say important because the only way to know is to check with state officials. I'll still stick with my original that there are 4 states that require a CDL to operate a non-commercial RV's.

It is up to each and every individual to check with their own state laws, not Changing Gears, me, you, or anyone not in an official capacity. All we can do is provide what we know with references. Sometimes those references are experience. Everyone should check their own state laws.
Old 09-20-2016, 07:48 PM   #39

Texas Class B License

HI is the only state that requires a CDL. D.C. is not a state. Now IN, WI, D.C. You do not need a CDL unless the RV is longer than 45 ft.
Xanso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 08:03 AM   #40
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Xanso,

DC is a state of confusion.

The referenced web site has DC listed under State. Yes, everyone knows that technically it is not a State. Each state may set their own standards for a driver license. I believe that each state can set its own laws as long as they are in compliance with the Federal law, which means they can be stricter but not less than the Federal law. Of course, I have been mistaken once before. As I stated, anyone submitting to their state for a license should inquire from their state officials regarding regulations.

In Texas anything over 26,001 pounds is a commercial vehicle, however the Form CDL-2 is required to be filled out and submitted if applying for a Class A or B non-CDL exemption. Reference (See instructions section on form and the first sentences in Certification - for Texas)

Tags
texas