Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-30-2016, 07:53 AM   #1

Texas Class B License

We just moved to Texas and I need to get Class B non-CDL license. Problem is that the folks at the drivers license office couldn't even tell me what I need to study in the CDL manual and what the test will consist of. Anyone here know?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-30-2016, 08:27 AM   #2

do google search on practice testing... plenty of them out there...

Old 06-30-2016, 08:35 AM   #3
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Texas Class B Driving Test a Breeze

Here is one link. It comes up often. I hate to tell someone to do a search but there are plenty of links for you to go to.

The little box above and on the right is a google search box. It does an excellent job. I don't think it is an ordinary wide open search. I believe it searches the forums.

And Welcome to the forum.
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 08:40 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
What part of Texas are you in? I have come to understand that there are certain texas DPS offices that are much more well practiced in the B exam and driving test.
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
2005 Fleetwood Revolution
'12 Chevy 2500HD
'15 Airstream International Signature 27FB
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 09:46 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Water D View Post
We just moved to Texas and I need to get Class B non-CDL license. Problem is that the folks at the drivers license office couldn't even tell me what I need to study in the CDL manual and what the test will consist of. Anyone here know?
If your GVW is below 26,000 pounds, then you don't need anything other than a Class C license. As said above, what part of the state are you in and some can chime in on where to best take the test.

Depending on the examiner, you may be required to do an equipment check and an air brake test, so be familiar with those. There are YouTube videos on how to do the full air brake test. Also, there can be a bunch of asinine questions about equipment requirements such as the color of flag that goes on a tow chain, how high the lights on a trailer need to be, how far a load can extend over the front of a trailer, what type of lights go on a farm tractor, etc. Below is a link to the CDL manual. Sections 5, 12, 13 and 14 are probably the ones most covered on the exam.
https://www.txdps.state.tx.us/intern...orms/DL-7C.pdf
'12 Jeep Wrangler Sport and/or '08 Honda Goldwing
Lt Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 02:35 PM   #6

I traded in a Class A gas for a 44,600 pound diesel tag axle a couple of months ago. I live in the Waco, Texas area, and recently obtained my Class B license. The Waco office is very familiar with the requirements and testing. The written test is a 20 multiple question test taken from Chapter 14 of the CDL book. I had to wait about 2 hours before I was called to take the written test, which took about 5 minutes to complete (scored a 95). The driving test was at a separate CDL facility. They test hundreds of truckers there every month, so they are thorough but professional.
Be sure to have a front license plate, I got sent home the first time for not having one. I had to do a full air brake test, back up in a straight line for about 100 yards, parallel park and then do some open road driving through the city and on the highway. It was not that hard. I sure feel better having the legal license now.
Old 06-30-2016, 02:50 PM   #7

Good info there, centexcpa. By "full air brake test" do you mean a written exam?
Old 06-30-2016, 03:02 PM   #8

No, in the coach. The examiner actually helped walk me through the steps as I knew the intent but not exactly what she wanted. It is the same thing the big trucks go through.
Old 06-30-2016, 08:46 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Certain locations

I'm often wrong, but I think I read that beginning tomorrow July 1, 2016, there will only be 17 locations state wide where you will be able to take your driving portion of the test. You can take the written at any DPS office. I'm sure I'll be quickly corrected by someone if I'm wrong. But if I'm right you might have to make a special trip to one of the 17 locations. I should probably keep my fingers silent, but what the hey. While I'm at it the great majority of posters that have driven their MH to the test have said they were not asked how the coach got there, but one or two were asked. Food for thought.
Txice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 08:51 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Txice, you are correct, they are shutting down a significant number if the testing sites. Not sure if Nacogdoches will still be trsting, but they are very friendly over there.
Old 06-30-2016, 10:22 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
I'm pretty sure the Hurst DPS office will continue to do driving tests as they do CDL's all day long with trucking schools. I did have to do a full equipment check, air brake test, straight backing and parallel park (easy to do on a 300' curb line just turn your right mirror down and watch the rear wheel). The examiner was nice and was very pleased to take a ride in a quiet motor home for a change instead of a truck cab. They will warn you if you run over a curb you are finished for the day.
'12 Jeep Wrangler Sport and/or '08 Honda Goldwing
Lt Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 10:45 PM   #12
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
What to study. You will not go wrong studying the full CDL portion of the manual. If you can answer all the "sample" test questions in the CDL manual you will pass the written non-CDL test with no problem. Studying the full CDL manual will give much insight into big rig driving.

It is also my understanding that you need to show up with the type of equipment you are are trying to get a license for, so if the MH you have is under 26,001 pounds they may not even test you.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 06:39 AM   #13

They did not ask me how I got there at the Waco CDL hub. I am sure Waco will remain open, it is a major center for CDL testing. Yes, they tell you if you hit a curb, go over a line, have a traffic violation or a wreck your test is immediately over. Be sure and put your turn signal on when you start to parallel park, I got dinged for that. Also, was told at some point that I did not have two hands on the wheel. A couple of other minor things she noted, but I still made a 90, only need 70 to pass.
Old 07-01-2016, 07:06 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Here is a link to the info on the 1 July changes. It includes the 25 driving test locations.
https://www.txdps.state.tx.us/Driver.../cdlNotice.pdf

Tags
texas