Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-28-2014, 02:19 PM   #43

Damon Owners Club
Just looking at this discussion and from two close friends who were (one still is) a Texas State Trooper, Class B is only needed in a for hire situation. I have a Class A, 28k+ pounds, asked my insurance (Progressive), Class B not needed; I called the DPS and they said it's not needed either. Probably the only reason to have one would be to comply with other states. BlackCabby - I live in North Houston and if I can help you out, please let me know.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-28-2014, 02:35 PM   #44
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk57 View Post
I believe you are misreading the Texas Commercial Licensing Drivers Handbook. Texas exempts drivers of recreational vehicles driven for personal use from holding a Commercial Drivers License (CDL). CDL's, if required, are defined in the Class A, B, and C. categories, so if you needed a CDL (because you were driving for hire) then the A, B or C would be necessary depending upon which class of vehicle you were operating.
You can call the DPS and confirm this. In years of legal practice I have never seen or heard of a citation being given to a private owner operating any size motorhome. The only exception would be a hired chauffeur being paid to be a driver of a private motorhome. That person is a hired driver and must have the CDL.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk57 View Post
You are wrong! Unless being paid or operating in commerce Texas does not require anything but a regular drivers license.
I'm not sure what kind of law you have practiced, but as others have pointed out, you are the one who has misread the Texas code.

My situation was a bit different when I got my non commercial Class B in Livingston in 2010. I had a California license and needed to take the test for the Texas Class B. After taking the written test, they made an appointment for me the next day and I just drove the coach in to take the test. No questions asked.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 03:09 PM   #45

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by psandoz View Post
Just looking at this discussion and from two close friends who were (one still is) a Texas State Trooper, Class B is only needed in a for hire situation. I have a Class A, 28k+ pounds, asked my insurance (Progressive), Class B not needed; I called the DPS and they said it's not needed either. Probably the only reason to have one would be to comply with other states. BlackCabby - I live in North Houston and if I can help you out, please let me know.
I hope I never get pulled over by either of your friends (or your insurance agent) because they are all wrong. A class B CDL (Commercial Drivers License)or a class A CDL (Commercial Drivers License) is needed if you are driving for hire. If you are driving your RV for personal reasons then one would need the appropriate class license Class A or Class B depending on weight of said RV and weight of any trailer be pulled. Getting a license to comply with other states could mean one would possibly need 50 different licenses depending on how many states one wanted to drive through.
As a CDL (Commercial Drivers License) holder, I know it is illegal to posses a license from more than one state.
srx-6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 03:47 PM   #46
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by srx-6 View Post
A class B CDL (Commercial Drivers License)or a class A CDL (Commercial Drivers License) is needed if you are driving for hire. If you are driving your RV for personal reasons then one would need the appropriate class license Class A or Class B depending on weight of said RV and weight of any trailer be pulled. Getting a license to comply with other states could mean one would possibly need 50 different licenses depending on how many states one wanted to drive through.
As a CDL (Commercial Drivers License) holder, I know it is illegal to posses a license from more than one state.
I would just add that I believe a standard Class C license would be valid for driving the RV if the rig weighed in at <26K lbs and no heavy towing was planned.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
Old 03-28-2014, 03:50 PM   #47

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
I would just add that I believe a standard Class C license would be valid for driving the RV if the rig weighed in at <26K lbs and no heavy towing was planned.

Rick
You would be correct
srx-6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 06:48 PM   #48

I got my Class B just a couple months ago here in Texas. When we bought, I specifically asked the dealer if I needed a special license to drive. They said no, so I was on my way. Been driving the MH for over a year, then I started reading about the license. One week I took the test, the next week I drove up to the DPS and did the driving test. Passed both and now legal. Yes, it all depends on the weight for the class you need. I don't think I'd tow over 10k, so the B is all I need. Good luck with your quest!
--John--
Tankd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 07:40 PM   #49

Monaco Owners Club
Texas DOES require a class B license to drive any vehicle over 26K#, and it happens to be a modified CDL (without the onerous maintenance requirements like drug testing, etc.) That said, I have "a friend" with a 33K#+ 41' motorhome who drives it all over the great state of Texas with some regularity and without a class B in hand - and, HE ALSO RUNS WITH SCISSORS IN HIS HAND (I know - the pointy kind!!!!) A famous person once said "It isn't illegal until you get caught" (might have been Tommy Chong now that I think about it).
Old 03-28-2014, 08:18 PM   #50

Newmar Owners Club
It's not a "modified CDL". It's a "non-CDL". The license itself reads "Class B" (or "Class A"), and there is no mention of CDL anywhere. If you have a CDL B, then the license says "Commercial Drivers License" across the top, and also says "Class B" (or "Class A") on it.

Well, to be completely accurate, mine says "Class BM" on it.
Old 03-28-2014, 10:13 PM   #51
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1skier View Post
That said, I have "a friend" with a 33K#+ 41' motorhome who drives it all over the great state of Texas with some regularity and without a class B in hand - and, HE ALSO RUNS WITH SCISSORS IN HIS HAND (I know - the pointy kind!!!!) A famous person once said "It isn't illegal until you get caught" (might have been Tommy Chong now that I think about it).
Very, very true.

I've read a post or two on this topic and don't really recall any which documented an actual problem created by someone in Texas not having the "appropriate" endorsement on their license. I do believe that the knowledge/understanding of this requirement is not well known nor understood by many/most working in DPS, etc. Nor have I ever heard of anyone having an accident claim denied by their insurance company because they didn't have the legally required endorsement.

As with so many things these days... it's just a personal choice.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
Old 03-28-2014, 10:17 PM   #52

FlyingDiver has it right.

Last year I also took the test to upgrade my CM when I upgraded to a over 26,000# new coach. I signed the exemption form, to get a non CDL license. The clerk helping had to ask two other clerks what I was asking for first. The second one printed the form off for me to sign. My new license is a BM. The "M" is for the motorcycle endorsement I have had for 15 years.
sailwing2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 10:32 PM   #53

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
a note about insurance
I have farm bureau and when my policy renewed last year, my agent called me to verify my dl number. She copied it down
a few days later she calls me back and the underwriters gave me a discount for "licensing" I asked what that meant and she assumed it had to do with class of license for the rv. it moved my rv insurance into another CLASS in farm bureau and my rates dropped again.
not sure if it was a fluke or having the class b license.
powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 10:46 PM   #54

Interesting that people seem to understand they need a motorcycle license. Police will ticket you if you don't have that M endorsement. But then people think driving a RV would not require some sort of upgrade in Texas.

I read in some other state, that no special upgrade to license is needed to drive a RV, no matter what it weights.
Old 03-29-2014, 01:17 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailwing2003 View Post
Interesting that people seem to understand they need a motorcycle license. Police will ticket you if you don't have that M endorsement. But then people think driving a RV would not require some sort of upgrade in Texas. I read in some other state, that no special upgrade to license is needed to drive a RV, no matter what it weights.
It would be a lot easier if states simply state you need an RV endorsement for any thing above the 26k and remove the non com which is confusing people. There are only 15 states that require non com licenses. Luckily my state is one that requires just a regular class c operators.
Old 03-29-2014, 08:02 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanso View Post
It would be a lot easier if states simply state you need an RV endorsement for any thing above the 26k and remove the non com which is confusing people. There are only 15 states that require non com licenses. Luckily my state is one that requires just a regular class c operators.
Sure would be better. But we need to understand, laws and regs. written by committees, and lawyers.

I was stopped and given a warning in 1981, about 3 months after getting a new car. The dealer had installed the rear plate, and not the front since there were no mounting holes. The TX DPS trooper pulled out his book of regs and it was over 4" thick. Wonder how much thicker it might be today, some 33 years later? Texas just had a Supreme Court ruling last year about where the front plate and the "front" of the car was defined. It was related to a drug bust, from a front plate on the dash traffic stop that caught drugs being transported. The front is the most forward part of the vehicle.

Tags
cat, texas