Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-29-2014, 09:18 AM   #57
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
This topic always gets a lot of discussion and a lot of mis-information from self proclaimed experts...some are even law enforcement folks.

What adds to the confusion is that some DPS officers and most of the drivers license offices do not know the requirements in Texas.

Ahhh, but since you saw it on the Internet, it must be trueand I must be a French model

Ken

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-29-2014, 06:27 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
This topic always gets a lot of discussion and a lot of mis-information from self proclaimed experts...some are even law enforcement folks.

What adds to the confusion is that some DPS officers and most of the drivers license offices do not know the requirements in Texas.

Ahhh, but since you saw it on the Internet, it must be trueand I must be a French model

Ken
Five calls get five answers of course.

I think we can agree that there is a non CDL, and CDL license, with different weight requirements.

Since they are the same cost, same renewal period, just go big. Why not get a Class A non CDL?

Old 03-29-2014, 06:32 PM   #59

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesilvas View Post
Since they are the same cost, same renewal period, just go big. Why not get a Class A non CDL?
I now wish I had. But if you don't currently have a qualifying trailer, taking the test could be a hassle.
Old 03-29-2014, 09:23 PM   #60
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingDiver View Post
I now wish I had. But if you don't currently have a qualifying trailer, taking the test could be a hassle.
Exactly. Strange though... I've read that, for the driving test, you needed to have a rig which met the weight requirements. Made sense to me... but they didn't require me to tow ANYTHING for the Class B test so it's strange that one would need to have a trailer >10K# for the Class a test.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 10:07 PM   #61

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
Exactly. Strange though... I've read that, for the driving test, you needed to have a rig which met the weight requirements. Made sense to me... but they didn't require me to tow ANYTHING for the Class B test so it's strange that one would need to have a trailer >10K# for the Class a test.

Rick
No special test or license is required for a "light" trailer (under 10K#). So no point in testing for it.
Old 03-29-2014, 11:45 PM   #62

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
It is amazing the number of posts on a subject that has been discussed so often. I will repeat what I have said in other posts.

One poster said something about getting a NON-CDL license in Texas so that it will meet the requirements driving in another state. That is not a valid argument. The Full Faith and Credit clause in the constitution basically means in this example. That As long as you are meeting the requirements of the state the license is issued in then you are legally driving In any US state. For example. Texas requires a RV driver of a rig that weighs over 26,000 pounds to have a class B license ( To everyone who thinks differently or has a friend that is a police officer and told them differently. I am sorry but it is pretty easy to read the texas statute. Police officers and DMV clerks can and sometimes are wrong) Arkansas does not require a special license for an RV no matter what the weight. If I was from Texas and had an RV with Texas plates but no Texas Class B license I would be driving illegally in Arkansas because I do not meet the requirements of the state my license is issued in. On the flip side of that. With my Arkansas driving license and no Texas class B license if I am driving in Texas I am driving legally because I meet the requirements for an Arkansas license.

Why do you need your Texas Class B if you are a Texas resident? I have seen a lot of people mention driving all over the state of Texas or have friends or acquaintances who have been stopped and never ticketed because they did not have the correct license. I am sure that happens. Police officers not knowing the law. Not wanting to ticket someone for that etc. Here is where I see a problem. You are driving a motor vehicle that cost thousands of dollars and probably hundreds of thousands of dollars. You have a wreck and the vehicle is totaled. If you do not have the correct license you are operating that vehicle illegally. The first thing the insurance company is probably going to do is check the copy of the license you gave them when you got insurance. If you live in Texas and do not have the Class B license that is required on file with them they are going to ask you for it. If you do not have it they are probably going to say we are not paying. IF it is not your fault the others guys insurance is going to say the same thing. I do not care if your agent does not know you need that license. I can guarantee the people in the claims department know all the laws on that subject and go to classes every year to keep updated. So basically if you are driving without the correct license you are driving without any insurance protection.
Old 03-30-2014, 10:37 AM   #63
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemini5362 View Post
I can guarantee the people in the claims department know all the laws on that subject and go to classes every year to keep updated. So basically if you are driving without the correct license you are driving without any insurance protection.
\

I agree with all of your logic but, if this situation had ever actually happened to someone I would have thought there would have been a post about it in all of the threads we've had on this topic.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
Old 03-30-2014, 10:42 AM   #64

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
\

I agree with all of your logic but, if this situation had ever actually happened to someone I would have thought there would have been a post about it in all of the threads we've had on this topic.

Rick
You think they'ed be willing to admit it if they did?
Old 03-30-2014, 10:47 AM   #65
Moderator Emeritus

Apparently not.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
Old 03-30-2014, 12:05 PM   #66

Freightliner Owners Club
The question of loss of insurance coverage comes up quite often. With the assumption that any violation of motor vehicle laws or safe practices will result in non-coverage by your insurance company. (Wrong license, seatbelt use, overloaded, toad brakes, poor maintenance- etc) On several occasions members here with a background in insurance have stated the policy is a contract that will be honored unless one of the stated exclusions applies.

But, any point that can be belabored by an opposing lawyer will certainly be exploited in the civil ceremonies likely to follow an accident....
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 02:24 AM   #67

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligan View Post
The question of loss of insurance coverage comes up quite often. With the assumption that any violation of motor vehicle laws or safe practices will result in non-coverage by your insurance company. (Wrong license, seatbelt use, overloaded, toad brakes, poor maintenance- etc) On several occasions members here with a background in insurance have stated the policy is a contract that will be honored unless one of the stated exclusions applies.

But, any point that can be belabored by an opposing lawyer will certainly be exploited in the civil ceremonies likely to follow an accident....
Actually I did ask an attorney about this very post. The answer was very quick in response that they will probably not pay. I also had to have my attorney represent my son when a driver made a left hand turn in front of him as he was going down the highway. The driver that had made the left hand turn said my son had his left blinker on. My son denied it and know way to prove differently. The insurance company decided that my son was partially at fault because of that and only wanted to pay for half of the repairs. We had to take them to court to get them to pay. Now in a case where someone was driving without proving they had the knowledge to drive a vehicle of the weight class we are talking about ( proving by passing a written and practical exam) And if we are talking about something over a hundred thousand dollars. I think you would be sitting in front of a judge trying to get your claim paid and it would be up to the judge. The fact that you were driving illegally would be very helpful in your case.
Old 03-31-2014, 11:46 PM   #68

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
That should read. The fact that you are driving illegally would NOT be very helpful to your case in my above post
Old 04-01-2014, 04:42 AM   #69

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Spartan Chassis
Black cabby

You have correctly identified a possible Catch 22 in the regs.

I worried about that as well, despite the fact that I had already been driving my heavy rig for a few weeks when I went to take the road test.

My concern was the examiner would say "how'd you get here?"

"I drove."

"You flunk"

Since I had access to some guys with Class A licenses in my shop, I borrowed one to ride with me to the DPS office on 69 in North Beaumont.

As you might expect, the question never came up, and the driving test was a breeze.

Since I'm just up the road from Orange, send me a PM if you want somebody to ride with you to your test drive "just in case".

Oh, and ignore all that noise about what license you need. You are correct, you need the Class B.
2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4
deaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 04:03 PM   #70

I have Class A Mandalay that weighs 43000 lbs. I did not know for years that I needed a class b license. It is nit a CDL like a semi. It is a Class B for a RV. Make sure and tell them it is for an RVOr you may end up taking the wrong test. the test is no big deal and neither is the driving portion. Just drive down and take it.

Tags
cat, texas