Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-19-2014, 06:12 PM   #85
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwyoming View Post
Left DPS License Station in Rosenberg Texas April 17, 2014. Went to get the B license. WAS TOLD I DID NOT NEED IT
I'm guessing that's because your Winnie 35' rig is under 26000#?

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-19-2014, 06:17 PM   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Radios View Post
I would suspect that in any state with those weight regs if you get pulled over in an RV, the officer will not wait around for a weigh unit to show up to see if your rig is heavy enough to require a class B license. Especially if he can ticket you for something else.

No need for the scales, it's based on GVWR (gross vehicle weight RATING), not weight.
Thebaldeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 06:19 PM   #87

I think some of the confusion in a Texas is that they did not always require the Class A or B. Don't know when it was required but it has been fairly recently!
Old 04-19-2014, 06:22 PM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwyoming View Post
Left DPS License Station in Rosenberg Texas April 17, 2014. Went to get the B license. WAS TOLD I DID NOT NEED IT

If your vehicle is 26,001 lbs or over and they told you that I would go to another office! Remember, if you get a ticket, it's in you, not the misinformed DPS employee! At a bare minimum ask for a supervisor and show them the regulation which has been posted numerous times in this thread and ask for a letter from their office stating that that law does not apply in your case.
Old 04-19-2014, 07:09 PM   #89

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thebaldeagle View Post
I think some of the confusion in a Texas is that they did not always require the Class A or B. Don't know when it was required but it has been fairly recently!
Not too recent. I got mine in 2008, and it was needed then (for my RV).
Old 04-19-2014, 08:54 PM   #90
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Lots ofDPS and drivers license office do not have a clue. I recommend that you talk to the Livingston, TX office.

Kne
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 09:28 PM   #91

Vintage RV Owners Club
Looks like Cali is getting even more crazy. Any Calif resident with a motorhome over 40 ft no matter what the gvwr is. Also have to have medical card every 2 years for a non commercial A or B. Wonder if Texas will be next?
https://www.dmv.ca.gov/dl/dl_info.htm#noncommercial
Old 07-22-2014, 02:54 PM   #92

Rexhall Owners Group
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBOL View Post
Isn't that lying?
If it's good enough for the government then it's good enough for you.
Old 07-22-2014, 04:12 PM   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thebaldeagle View Post
No need for the scales, it's based on GVWR (gross vehicle weight RATING), not weight.
The Texas licensing requirements for CDL or non-CDL class B or A are based on GVWR- not actual weight- as mentioned in the 2nd post. So whatever the vehicle manufacturer stamps on the vehicle as the GVWR then that is what is used to determined what class of license is required. It applies to trailers as well.

If the manufacturer does not specify the weight or if the information plate containing that information is missing, then an officer can use registered weight or actual weight, whichever is greater, to determine what class of license is required.

Most law enforcement don't deal in this level of detail on vehicle licensing. Most I know don't know this.

Be safe and enjoy your RV's!!

Patrick J
PatrickJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 04:25 PM   #94

CDL license in Texas.

Oops no Texas for me.
AZAFVET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 09:23 PM   #95

Just got mine in Garland TX (Dallas suburb) and they too were clueless. I ended up with a full CDL. They were adamant however that if it was equipped with air brakes it was required. I'm over the 26000lbs anyway. Livingston, I'm told just requires the basic commercial rules test, I was also given an air brake written, a pre trip inspection written, and a commercial rules written. PIA but if you read the manual a couple of times it's not bad. I did have to demo the air brake test and parallel park for the driving.

2005 Inspire 330 Davinci, #51334. C9
Old 07-22-2014, 09:24 PM   #96

By the way only some of the drivers license offices in Texas do the commercial testing so check in advance. I think there are two in the Dallas area.

Old 07-23-2014, 04:04 AM   #97

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duoglide1 View Post
Just got mine in Garland TX (Dallas suburb) and they too were clueless. I ended up with a full CDL. They were adamant however that if it was equipped with air brakes it was required. I'm over the 26000lbs anyway. Livingston, I'm told just requires the basic commercial rules test, I was also given an air brake written, a pre trip inspection written, and a commercial rules written. PIA but if you read the manual a couple of times it's not bad. I did have to demo the air brake test and parallel park for the driving.

Did you have to show them a DOT medical when you got your CDL or did you fill out the CDL-7 and certify that medical was not required.
srx-6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 06:01 AM   #98

Neither one. I just explained that it was for my own use. I asked for a non commercial class B several times and they seemed very confused. What I ended up with was a CDL. The Garland DPS admitted they rarely do these. If there is another office you can use I would recommend it. They did check my triangles, fuses and fire extinguisher. I needed to chock the wheels for the air brake test as well so don't forgot some kind of a block.

Tags
cat, texas