Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-23-2014, 07:19 AM   #99

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick327 View Post
If it's good enough for the government then it's good enough for you.
Mick I don't remember the post of mine that this responds to,but just cause the Government say's it's OK doesn't make it right for me,it may be alright for you,but I use a higher power for my Guidence.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-23-2014, 09:49 AM   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZAFVET View Post
Oops no Texas for me.
If you are legal in your home state you show as AZ, come on east, you should have zero issues. Each state accepts your home state license.

If you are from TX, you don't need a CDL which is a Commercial Drivers License, unless you are getting paid to drive the RV, like you deliver, or work for a dealer.

Getting mine last year in Ft. Worth east side, the huge and brand new office, there were some questions between the staff to get the correct paperwork, and set up the correct computer test. Even when I returned last month for renewal, again, the staff had to make a couple of calls to see if I had to again sign the exemption form.

Too many reg. and too few seem to know them.

sailwing2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 09:08 AM   #101

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailwing2003 View Post

Getting mine last year in Ft. Worth east side, the huge and brand new office, there were some questions between the staff to get the correct paperwork, and set up the correct computer test. Even when I returned last month for renewal, again, the staff had to make a couple of calls to see if I had to again sign the exemption form.

Too many reg. and too few seem to know them.
This was to upgrade from a common CM (motorcycle) to a non cdl, B for private use and keeping the M, for a new BM license.

I also took the driving test out SW in Cleburne, a smaller town, a few days later when they had an appointment available. They testing officer used the parking lot wheel chocks, for the air test.
sailwing2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 07:41 PM   #102

Tiffin Owners Club
So, it all finally worked out. But not without one additional twist!

We worked out all the details as required on our purchace, and I set the delivery date to coincide with my drivers license road test date. Very kindly, our salesman agreed to accompany me to the DPS for my test.

Here's the twist! When we got to the test location, they informed me that they could not perform the Class B road test at that location (a MegaCenter, too!!). The kicker here is that the online reservation system had accepted my request for an appointment, sent me text reminders, and the system (it!) even knew the appointment was for a Class B road test!!! We found all of this out on delivery day with our kind salesman in tow.

After much to do over this issue with every Supervisor I could appeal my situation to, we were instructed to travel to another office (40 minutes away), and reassured that they would administer the test without the requisite reservation. What a system!!

Now for the Happy Ending - I passed the test, and we are enjoying our new home. I just dont want to visit a DPS office for a little while now.

Thanks for all the good advice and support on this thread - Happy Trails!
Blackcabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 08:12 PM   #103

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Radios View Post
I would suspect that in any state with those weight regs if you get pulled over in an RV, the officer will not wait around for a weigh unit to show up to see if your rig is heavy enough to require a class B license. Especially if he can ticket you for something else.

Here in NY we have weigh stations and I always wondered if a non-commercial RV is required to pull into a weigh station when they are operating.
They dont need a weigh unit or scale - your vehicle has a published weight rating GVWR and GCWR. A quick check of that will tell them if you are licensed in the correct class.
Blackcabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 08:58 PM   #104

Tiffin Owners Club
I just picked up my CDL Driver Handbook from my local DPS office. I hope to test in the next week or two. For those of you who have taken the written test, how many tests did you have to take and what chapters did the tests cover? The local DPS clerk told me I'd only need to study chapter 14 (Special Requirements.....). Another office told me I needed to study chapters 1, 2, 3, 11, 12, 13 and 14. I want to prepare accordingly but I'm not interested in doing more than I have to.

Old 07-24-2014, 10:37 PM   #105

It is supposed to be only over chapter 14 but I had a couple of stray questions. I would study 14 and be familiar with the entire book.
Old 07-24-2014, 11:10 PM   #106

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
It is supposed to be only over chapter 14 but I had a couple of stray questions. I would study 14 and be familiar with the entire book.
Same here. Check around some of the outlying communities. They seem much more accessible and do walk-ins. I was told there was a 3 week wait in Austin, but did a walk-in the next day in Marble Falls, which is only 20 min from my house. Saved me from having to tow the rig into Austin as well.
Roadmaster Blackhawk 2, RVI2 Brake System
Scottybdivin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 12:32 AM   #107

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired GI View Post
I just picked up my CDL Driver Handbook from my local DPS office........The local DPS clerk told me I'd only need to study chapter 14 (Special Requirements.....]

When we did ours in Livingston all they handed us was a xeroxed copy of ONLY Chapter 14. Every question on the test came out of that section. That was just last January.
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 02:35 PM   #108

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailwing2003 View Post
This was to upgrade from a common CM (motorcycle) to a non cdl, B for private use and keeping the M, for a new BM license.

I also took the driving test out SW in Cleburne, a smaller town, a few days later when they had an appointment available. They testing officer used the parking lot wheel chocks, for the air test.
I knew we'd get here sooner or later. Gotta have a license to take a dump!
gfs1943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 09:03 PM   #109

I think Livingston knows exactly how to do it-the others do not. I don't have the book here but I was not tested on combo vehicles, school bus, or hazmat for sure. Most of the others I was but as I said the Garland (I30) office was confused. The even gave me the test for an original TX drivers license! After I took it they admitted that was a mistake. PIA. For what it's worth they don't care how you got it there and don't write tickets. I told them I drove it to their location and that all RV dealers tell people they do not need the license.

2005 Inspire 330 Davinci, #51334. C9
Old 07-25-2014, 09:19 PM   #110

Tiffin Owners Club
Thanks ya'll. I'm going to study chapter 14 and the chapter on air brakes just in case. I'll lightly peruse the rest of the manual just in case. I don't know why I'm dreading this so much?? Haven't had to take a license and driving test in nearly 40 years.
Old 07-25-2014, 09:49 PM   #111

DW took the written test in June at the mega center in Spring and the whole test was the stray questions, so be careful.
Old 07-25-2014, 10:04 PM   #112

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duoglide1 View Post
Neither one. I just explained that it was for my own use. I asked for a non commercial class B several times and they seemed very confused. What I ended up with was a CDL.The Garland DPS admitted they rarely do these. If there is another office you can use I would recommend it. They did check my triangles, fuses and fire extinguisher. I needed to chock the wheels for the air brake test as well so don't forgot some kind of a block.
I think its good to have,....It might come in handy, Just in case life changes like it always seems to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Radios View Post
I would suspect that in any state with those weight regs if you get pulled over in an RV, the officer will not wait around for a weigh unit to show up to see if your rig is heavy enough to require a class B license. Especially if he can ticket you for something else.

Here in NY we have weigh stations and I always wondered if a non-commercial RV is required to pull into a weigh station when they are operating.
unless their sign for the weigh station specifys RVs, You should not have to stop in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcabby View Post
They dont need a weigh unit or scale - your vehicle has a published weight rating GVWR and GCWR. A quick check of that will tell them if you are licensed in the correct class.
The correct lic class is the one you have for Your home state. If its good at home, your good in the other 49 states.

(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat, texas