Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-26-2014, 07:54 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Texas Class B Licensing - Catch 22

My wife and I are attempting to purchase our first DP class A MH. As the GVWR is well north fo 26,001lb, I will be required to convert my Texas driver's license from a Class C to a Class B.

So far, no problem. I've read the manual, taken and passed the test. I now have a Class B license (learners) restricted in that I can only drive with a Class B or better licensed individual in the front seat while I am at the wheel. To convert the learner's permit to a permanent Class B, I must present myself for a road test in a vehicle of the same class - which I don't own yet, or have any access to. If I buy one, problem solved???? NO!

The problem I am going to have is driving home for the first time with my new purchase. I've had many miles of experience renting when I lived in other states that didn't have these licensing requirements. However, that's not the case in Texas. It's a genuine CATCH22. I've only lived here for a short while, and don't know anyone who can take me to the DPS with their equipment to help me get tested.

I am sure that I'm not the first Texan to cross this bridge. What are others doing (that's legal!!) when purchasing their first Class A of this size class? I'm getting discouraged, but haven't given up on the dream yet. As always, I appreciate the help I've received on this forum.
Blackcabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-26-2014, 08:04 PM   #2

Ok first. Don't get discouraged, there's always a solution. What most due is carefully get the rig home and then go drive the rig and take the test. Dps never asks how the rig got there. Not legal, but done with great success. I did it this way.

Second, where are you located?.. If near Dallas, I might be able to help a brother out. If not near, I'll bet someone would step up to drive your rig home and to take your test. Just have to ask.

Third option is to have your unit delivered and then ask the driver if he could come back on his own time to drive you to the test.
JC and Angie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 08:05 PM   #3

To take the test you can rent a large U-Haul box truck. It will meet the weight requirement for the DL test but does not require you to have one to drive it.
Bubba1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 08:07 PM   #4

More people than we will every know drive or have driven with the wrong class license here in Texas, many have for years. Yes you need to take the test in the new coach. I have read a number of times, and my experience was the same, they don't ask how you got the coach to the test.

Bigger problem is getting a testing date and time appointment.
sailwing2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 08:10 PM   #5

Don't worry about getting it there so much. Get what you want, schedule a test, and take it up there and if they ask, say your friend brought you but left. Or that it just did.
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 08:18 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC and Angie View Post
Ok first. Don't get discouraged, there's always a solution. What most due is carefully get the rig home and then go drive the rig and take the test. Dps never asks how the rig got there. Not legal, but done with great success. I did it this way.

Second, where are you located?.. If near Dallas, I might be able to help a brother out. If not near, I'll bet someone would step up to drive your rig home and to take your test. Just have to ask.

Third option is to have your unit delivered and then ask the driver if he could come back on his own time to drive you to the test.
Thanks for the offer. We live in Orange - looking to buy in Houston. Perhaps I'll give you a shout if we end up buying in Dallas. Your idea is a good one -Might be an option to have the unit delivered to Orange, then look for a local sponsor to accompany me to DPS...
Old 03-26-2014, 08:23 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailwing2003 View Post
More people than we will every know drive or have driven with the wrong class license here in Texas, many have for years. Yes you need to take the test in the new coach. I have read a number of times, and my experience was the same, they don't ask how you got the coach to the test.

Bigger problem is getting a testing date and time appointment.
I know it's negative thinking on my part, but I worry less about the code violation and more about the insurance liability implications if the unthinkable were to happen. I wouldn't want to take that gamble if there was a way to keep clean and legal. Thanks, though...I probably worry too much!
Old 03-26-2014, 08:24 PM   #8

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba1 View Post
To take the test you can rent a large U-Haul box truck. It will meet the weight requirement for the DL test but does not require you to have one to drive it.
Now I believe you but why would we be able to drive a large U-haul with out having class B and not a Mh?Also wouldn't a tester have to have a Class B to be able to allow you to drive while testing.
DBOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 08:26 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba1 View Post
I asked the DPS office eaminer about this, and they indicated that the vehicle I bring to the test must be of the weight class that my license is for - Uhaul/Ryder require a Class B / CDL to rent anything with a GVWR >26,001 ---my CATCH22.
Old 03-26-2014, 08:27 PM   #10

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesilvas View Post
Don't worry about getting it there so much. Get what you want, schedule a test, and take it up there and if they ask, say your friend brought you but left. Or that it just did.
Isn't that lying?
DBOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 08:37 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcabby View Post
Thanks for the offer. We live in Orange - looking to buy in Houston. Perhaps I'll give you a shout if we end up buying in Dallas. Your idea is a good one -Might be an option to have the unit delivered to Orange, then look for a local sponsor to accompany me to DPS...
Ask the dealer where you buy the unit for a name of a driver. 100 bucks for a driver to the dps station should get your task done. And have it delivered by the dealer as well.

When are you going to buy ??? B
Old 03-26-2014, 08:39 PM   #12

I believe you are misreading the Texas Commercial Licensing Drivers Handbook. Texas exempts drivers of recreational vehicles driven for personal use from holding a Commercial Drivers License (CDL). CDL's, if required, are defined in the Class A, B, and C. categories, so if you needed a CDL (because you were driving for hire) then the A, B or C would be necessary depending upon which class of vehicle you were operating.
You can call the DPS and confirm this. In years of legal practice I have never seen or heard of a citation being given to a private owner operating any size motorhome. The only exception would be a hired chauffeur being paid to be a driver of a private motorhome. That person is a hired driver and must have the CDL.
hawk57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 08:45 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk57 View Post
I believe you are misreading the Texas Commercial Licensing Drivers Handbook. Texas exempts drivers of recreational vehicles driven for personal use from holding a Commercial Drivers License (CDL). CDL's, if required, are defined in the Class A, B, and C. categories, so if you needed a CDL (because you were driving for hire) then the A, B or C would be necessary depending upon which class of vehicle you were operating.
You can call the DPS and confirm this. In years of legal practice I have never seen or heard of a citation being given to a private owner operating any size motorhome. The only exception would be a hired chauffeur being paid to be a driver of a private motorhome. That person is a hired driver and must have the CDL.
He's not getting a cdl. He's needing a class b exempt rating to drive a 26k and up motor Home. It's a law, truck us. Or do a search on this subject. Been hashed out several times
Old 03-26-2014, 08:48 PM   #14

You are wrong! Unless being paid or operating in commerce Texas does not require anything but a regular drivers license.
hawk57 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat, texas