Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-24-2014, 05:13 PM   #29

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by srx-6 View Post
That is good to know. My company failed to send my new medical in and I got notified by the Texas Dept. of Public Safety that my CDL was going to be downgrade to a class C and I would have to retake all test if I wanted a CDL again. Had the company send a copy of my medical registerd mail and all is well for two more years.
Are you sure the notice said class C? When I read the regulations a while back, my interpretation was that no medical resulted in loss of CDL status, but that was it.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-25-2014, 08:14 AM   #30

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingDiver View Post
Are you sure the notice said class C? When I read the regulations a while back, my interpretation was that no medical resulted in loss of CDL status, but that was it.
I stand corrected. The letter from Texas DPS states "...your license will be downgraded to a non-commercial driver license." So I can assume for me that would be a non-commercial class A.

srx-6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 08:36 AM   #31

Newmar Owners Club
Yeah, that makes sense, really. No medical, no commercial driving privileges.
Old 04-25-2014, 01:42 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by captzoom View Post
Took my road test today at Seguin DPS office. Relatively quick and straightforward though had to wait two and a half weeks to get a reserved time.
I also passed my driving test Thursday, at the Cleveland, TX. office after waiting 2 weeks. Had to back up about 150' and then parallel park. Road test was nothing special just a lot of stop signs and turns on narrow streets, through a few red lights, then highway driving. Streets she took me down are the narrow type I try never to drive. Never asked if I had red triangles or any other safety equipment.

Told me I was not required to do air brake test since I was not CDL. Now that upset me because I had practiced for it endlessly. Nothing worse than spending a lot of time learning something and then being told I do not have to do it. At least it was time well spent as it is important to know how to test my air system.
Old 04-25-2014, 10:44 PM   #33

Tiffin Owners Club
Had signed up on line for the Spring Mega Center only to find out when I got there that they did not test Civilians. Had to go to Conroe for the road test. Had to show documentation/insurance. No air brake test, no check of equipment. Just a road test on the local roads to and from I-45. Pretty much like the others, I avoid those types of traffic situations. All said, the test went fine and Im now legal.

Good luck with your journey!
Blackcabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 09:31 AM   #34

Monaco Owners Club
TX driver license road test

Interesting to see the differences between the test given at different TX DPS offices. My examiner asked if I had chocks when I checked in at the desk upon arrival (I told her "already chocked" and she thanked me), then upon arriving at the RV asked to check the reflectors and fire extinguisher. After she checked all the lights, wipers and horn operation, had me run the complete air brake test sequence (per the instruction book). I asked if she wanted me to demonstrate the pre-flight vehicle checks and she said no. Our drive covered several stretches of narrow streets and old highway, then merged onto the interstate. Several stop signs, sharp turns and a railroad crossing, different speed limit areas, etc. However, she said "I'm not going to require you to parallel park" (which I had practiced thoroughly and will probably never have the occasion to perform in real life). There was no verbal quiz on anything covered in the instruction book. My examiner was friendly, courteous and professional, even apologized for making me wait a few minutes past my scheduled time because she was running a bit behind.
Old 04-26-2014, 10:10 AM   #35

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by captzoom View Post
Interesting to see the differences between the test given at different TX DPS offices. My examiner asked if I had chocks when I checked in at the desk upon arrival (I told her "already chocked" and she thanked me), then upon arriving at the RV asked to check the reflectors and fire extinguisher. After she checked all the lights, wipers and horn operation, had me run the complete air brake test sequence (per the instruction book). I asked if she wanted me to demonstrate the pre-flight vehicle checks and she said no. Our drive covered several stretches of narrow streets and old highway, then merged onto the interstate. Several stop signs, sharp turns and a railroad crossing, different speed limit areas, etc. However, she said "I'm not going to require you to parallel park" (which I had practiced thoroughly and will probably never have the occasion to perform in real life). There was no verbal quiz on anything covered in the instruction book. My examiner was friendly, courteous and professional, even apologized for making me wait a few minutes past my scheduled time because she was running a bit behind.
Probably the same test she would give to someone testing for a CDL(Commercial Driver License)
srx-6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 01:00 AM   #36

Monaco Owners Club
Not exactly. I watched her test a guy driving an 18 wheeler. She made him try to parallel park it, which he screwed up pretty badly. Same route, though.
Old 04-27-2014, 08:49 PM   #37

My wife and I passed driving test couple weeks ago in Livingston, after the written test 2 weeks prior to that.
Uneventful but 2 items to note. First, DPS lady watched intently on my glancing at side view mirrors every 7 seconds while underway. Second, when I arrived at DPS office she told me to park on road in front of office on shoulder and noticed that I placed my triangles at proper distance behind coach(no need for front reflector as it was a divided highway).
It was a good experience.
frank
Old 04-27-2014, 11:39 PM   #38

Thank you South Dakota!
Old 04-29-2014, 07:59 PM   #39

Does anyone know the medical/physical requirements for a TX Class B? I have been thinking of trying to get legit but am worried about being disallowed because I have one arm.
Old 04-29-2014, 08:12 PM   #40
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooky View Post
Does anyone know the medical/physical requirements for a TX Class B? I have been thinking of trying to get legit but am worried about being disallowed because I have one arm.
Welcome to the forum.

I don't recall ever seeing anything about the Texas non commercial A/B license physical requirements being any different that for a Class C. We had to take an eye test and it did give me trouble. I've had laser surgery to have one eye for reading and the other for distance... I let my brain figure out which to use. It became a problem only because they tested each eye separately so naturally I failed and had to make an appointment with a local optometrist to get tested and certified. Not a big deal though.

I'll be interested to see if others have insight on your question.

We're glad you found us.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 11:56 PM   #41

Only CA requires a medical card for RVers
Old 04-30-2014, 03:33 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooky View Post
Welcome to iRV2.com.

I recently took the written and driving test for class B. I did not read anything that indicated the physical requirements were any different from what is required for the regular class C. Only required to have a class B if driving a vehicle over 26,000 lbs. This is not a CDL license.

Recommend you call a local DPS for the straight scoop on requirements.

Tags
texas