Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-03-2014, 11:07 AM   #57

In regards to dealerships ignorance is not a valid defense. I am responsible for the licensing and regulations of my insurance business and there is no excuse for creating massive exposure of RV clients who roll out illegally.

In regards to DPS we should never settle. They work for us. They should know their own rules and regulations. As far as changing regulations that is for the representativeship which like the auto business is highly influenced by lobby.

CDL2 form needs changed as well. This exempts you from CDL however my DPS office did not know it existed until I educated them.

Any vehicle over 26000 lbs is considered commercial by DOT standards.

It's a mess and all RV owners are at risk by incompetent dealers and bad regulation. Be aware and be careful.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-07-2014, 10:39 AM   #58

Class B Driving Test in Livingston, TX

We have taken the written test and passed now we have to take the road test next week. Has anyone taken the Class B driving test in Livingston lately, do you have to parallel park or do an air break test?

Old 08-07-2014, 11:38 AM   #59

You should NOT have to parallel park or air brake test at ANY Texas DPS, however the training and instruction on NON COMMERCIAL CLASS B licenses is inconsistent per each office.

There is NO air brake endorsement on a non commercial class B, and they need to be reminded of this. Air brake endorsement is a COMMERCIAL endorsement ONLY in the state of Texas.

As for parallel parking, again this is apparently at the tester discretion - I was told there would be NO parallel parking, yet my officer wanted me to parallel park. I politely told the officer I was prior instructed NOT to practice parallel parking, and instead he had me pull forward. Stop. Go in reverse.

The testing officer noted TWO things about my driving ,both of which are incorrect.

1. When backing up in reverse, I was supposed to honk the horn since I have no backup audible. This is incorrect and is a commercial code requirement.

2. I was checking my mirrors every 30 to 45 seconds, and I should (according to him) check mirrors every 15 seconds. This is also incorrect. Two scenarios - one driving in city traffic you want me to take my eyes off the road to check mirrors every 15 seconds? Second scenario driving through the country - NO cars around you want me to check mirrors again every 15 seconds?

Bottom line there was NOTHING the officer could note about my driving as the test was 100%, I asked to show me where in the DPS book points #1 and #2 are listed above, he said he was not sure. My point was not to be a smart #@@! but to actually read and verify what the officer was stating, as checking mirrors every 15 seconds is actually dangerous advice in my opinion.

Side note on parallel parking.

YOU SHOULD KNOW HOW TO PARALLEL PARK!

Practice.

The first two state parks we visited, we had to park off to the side and it sure comes in handy!

Final note, if you are polite and know how to drive I find it unlikely you will fail the driving portion unless you do something really bad like hit someone, go up a curb, or break an obvious law. Relax... You will be just fine and good luck!
Old 08-08-2014, 08:25 AM   #60

Monaco Owners Club
While there may be no technical requirement for air brake and parallel parking in the TX driver test, I recommend you learn these maneuvers well, practice them, and be prepared to execute them. If your vehicle has air brakes you should know the correct operating and safety procedures, including choking the wheels when parked.

Whether you will be asked to perform these tasks during the test is possibly at the examiner's discretion, but having the wheels choked and going through the correct air brake pressure and test routine at startup will display a professional and knowledgeable competence at the very start of the process, which could be a big help in getting a cooperative attitude from the examiner. Don't forget to remove the wheel chocks before driving off!

I suspect that they'll flag something even if you do perform the test 100%, it makes them look like they are doing their job...
Old 11-03-2014, 07:16 PM   #61

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by osok View Post
Took the written test yesterday and passed. Was surprised that they made me take the CDL test. At least that is what the computer said as I started the test. Glad I also studied the CDL book or would never have passed. The paperwork they and I filled out stated I was requesting for RV. I asked why I was given CDL and the reply was we have to know you can drive that big thing.

Still must return to take drivers skill test. Thinking maybe I will go to Livingston or Liberty for drivers test. Took written in Cleveland.

Couple of very important questions that everyone needs to know or you should not be on the roads as you are not qualified.
1. How many headlights are required on farm tractor? Two
2. What year were commercial vehicles required to have blinkers? 1959
Were 3 or 4 more important knowledge questions like above.
Berry, I finally got around to writing mine today and as you had suggested, all 20 questions were from chapter 14 in the CDL study guide. I didn't have the farm tractor question on my test but glad I knew what year flashers became a requirement ... no doubt I will be a much better class A motorhome driver with that knowledge!

I wrote out at Hempstead, interesting place, basically an insulated tin shack ... but lots of character.

So after passing the exam the gal asked me when I wanted to drive. I told her that I had a buddy who wanted to drive the same day as we had to find a licensed CDL driver to bring my coach to the office so I really needed to speak with him first. I was told not to worry about that, "we don't care how you get your RV here and we won't ask!" Apparently they are well aware that dealerships routinely tell us that we don't need a special license to drive these things and that there are plenty of people all over the roads in Texas without the Class B license.

I'm scheduled to drive on the 19th. Oh ya, was also told not to worry about the air brake test, they only test that requirement in Hempstead for a commercial license.
SWag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 07:19 PM   #62

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
... and I certainly agree with captzoom, we should all understand the correct operation of our air brake system and be prepared to display the skill competently. I'll be prepared to do that should I be asked.
Old 11-03-2014, 07:41 PM   #63

Tiffin Owners Club
The TX written test is a no brainier IF you spent a little time in the guide.

Be aware, likely the first thing you will have to do is PArallel Park your rig. No matter that you will never do that in a lifetime. You will have plenty of room to do that, so take a small cut on the curb line and ease her in. DONOT TOUCH the curb line it is an automatic DQ and you will have to reschedule another day, you can't just try again. I suggest you have a discussion with your examiner about the parameters he/she expects before you start the maneuver or you will have a bad day. Then park it as they require.
Old 11-03-2014, 07:59 PM   #64

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I believe you are correct. They have a parking area in the back lot at Hempstead that I'm sure is used for the parallel park. I was instructed to pull into that area prior to my test and it looks like that will be the first maneuver. No curbs there so should be easy?

Thanks for the heads up!
Old 11-03-2014, 09:31 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWag View Post
Berry, I finally got around to writing mine today and as you had suggested, all 20 questions were from chapter 14 in the CDL study guide. I didn't have the farm tractor question on my test but glad I knew what year flashers became a requirement ... no doubt I will be a much better class A motorhome driver with that knowledge!

I wrote out at Hempstead, interesting place, basically an insulated tin shack ... but lots of character.

So after passing the exam the gal asked me when I wanted to drive. I told her that I had a buddy who wanted to drive the same day as we had to find a licensed CDL driver to bring my coach to the office so I really needed to speak with him first. I was told not to worry about that, "we don't care how you get your RV here and we won't ask!" Apparently they are well aware that dealerships routinely tell us that we don't need a special license to drive these things and that there are plenty of people all over the roads in Texas without the Class B license.

I'm scheduled to drive on the 19th. Oh ya, was also told not to worry about the air brake test, they only test that requirement in Hempstead for a commercial license.
Scott, congrats on getting that out of the way. With your driving experience you will have no problems with the next test. If John takes the test with you that day you both will be fighting over who gets to legally drive home. Guess he will win because it will then be his coach and you can't drive again until your DS is delivered. lol
Old 11-03-2014, 09:38 PM   #66

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks Berry, certainly appreciate your coaching. But you did have to remind me that I no longer have a coach ... the wait is killing me! And I have Sandy sending emails reminding me of all the rallies I'm missing while we're waiting.
Old 11-04-2014, 01:01 PM   #67
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larrikin View Post

Be aware, likely the first thing you will have to do is PArallel Park your rig. No matter that you will never do that in a lifetime. You will have plenty of room to do that, so take a small cut on the curb line and ease her in. DONOT TOUCH the curb line it is an automatic DQ and you will have to reschedule another day, you can't just try again. I suggest you have a discussion with your examiner about the parameters he/she expects before you start the maneuver or you will have a bad day. Then park it as they require.
My experience was different in Livingston. I never did have to parallel park but rather just back up in a straight line for about 100'. Hard to decide whether parallel parking a 40DP or knowing what year turn signals became mandatory is more useless.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 10:05 PM   #68
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I was the designated driver on a recent license upgrade. The locations was Texas City, TX. The first thing the instructor had the driver do was pull out of the parking spot and then back up. Then they had to parallel park. The curb was hit. Test over, come back again.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 10:06 PM   #69

Took my driving test at Seguin TX about 3 years ago. Examiner required me to demonstrate the full air brake test before we could proceed out of the parking lot. I had studied and practiced it so it was not a problem for me. If you are driving a coach with air brakes you should know it anyway. I suggest you know and be able to perform the air brake test when you go to take the driving test.

WM
Old 11-04-2014, 11:52 PM   #70

The written test IN TEXAS is basically the CDL versionn BUT does not include questions about air brakes. That's a separate test for CDL's. THERE IS NO written test specifically non-commercial Class A and B licenses.

There IS, however a trap. The study book, incl Chapter 14, is nationally based. But each state has the right to add their own rules and emphasis items. Texas did; and there are special items in the APPENDIX not found in the basic chapters. Many are oil and agriculture based due to our history and rural road use. If you don't study the Appendix well, you won't pass.

Most road testers in Texas understand the difference between commercial and non- commercial licenses. Most will not require chocking or any air brake testing. Most understand modern motorhomes' dual brake systems are automated and cannot be tested the same as a commercial truck.

Be very careful of any posts regarding Texas' licenses. Most RV'ers don't understand our system and post incorrect information. Texas issues licenses based on the weight of the vehicle, not the purpose it's used for. If your motorized unit weighs 26,001 lbs, you need an A or B, either will do. You do not need an A unless the thing you are towing weighs more than 10,000 lbs. That is the only difference between A and B. So, a MH towing a Jeep can get by with a B.

So, what's the deal about CDL's? Historically, states did require them; but for a myriad of reasons; and enforcement was spotty. The National Highways Act and its amendments changed all that and made it federal. Basically, if a state accepts US money for highways, it must enact and enforce the federal CDL system. The penalties for violating the law while holding a CDL are horrific, to the degree a full timer could required to leave the road with little time to prepare.

I highly recommend you avoid getting a commercial license if ANY other license is available in your state of domicile that allows you to drive your motorized rig.

J. Lewis
2008 Country Coach Allure 470 38'

Tags
texas