Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-03-2014, 03:54 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Texas driver's license assistance

Just got a Class A DP with 30,000 lb GVWR. Requires a class A or B Non-Commercial driver's license in TX. Did the CDL written test today, now need someone who already holds an A or B class non-commercial or CDL to ride with me when I go to take the road test (wouldn't hurt to to do a little training time before the test with someone who has done it before).

Does anybody know where to find such assistance in the San Antonio TX area?

Thanks!
captzoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-03-2014, 04:24 PM   #2

I posted an add on Craigslist San Marcos for a class A or Class B CDL driver for a temporary project. Had at least 10 replies. Ended up with a school bus driver from Canyon Lake area close to me. I paid him $15 hr. He spent about 3 hours with me in training and then rode with me to the test site. Ended up costing me about $100 total because the examiner called in sick the first time and I didn't call ahead to verify the appointment. Had to reschedule and go back a second time so keep that in mind. DPS is very limited on CDL examiners. By the way, I strongly urge you to go to either Seguin or Uvalde for your driving test! I took mine at Seguin but some others in our area have gone to Uvalde. Both are small towns which means less traffic and easier maneuvering. I believe Seguin is smaller and gets my vote. Send me a PM if I can be of further assistance.

Good Luck
WM
Old 04-03-2014, 04:33 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks! Excellent idea. Will try the CL ad.
captzoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 04:37 PM   #4

captzoom, I can not help due to being in same situation. So I will follow your thread.

Good luck.
osok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 05:19 PM   #5

I was not asked who rode with me to the test for my Class B upgrade. I was going to just say, I knew no one who had the correct license.

She asked me what I had driven, told her the lighter 36' for 2 years, and had just gotten the newer coach, that still had the paper tag on the back.
sailwing2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 08:42 PM   #6

Osok,

There's a big Escapees RV Club up in Livingston. I also understand that Livingston is an excellent place to take your exam. Check out their web-site and contact them. They might be able to help you out.

Also send me a PM if you want the add I used.

WM
Old 04-04-2014, 10:30 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
I also read in another forum that Marble Falls, Fredricksburgh & Kerrville was also a very easy place to take your test.

Good Luck!
DegoRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 10:43 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by wimberleyman View Post
Osok,

There's a big Escapees RV Club up in Livingston. I also understand that Livingston is an excellent place to take your exam. Check out their web-site and contact them. They might be able to help you out.

Also send me a PM if you want the add I used.

WM
Thanks Escapees is a good place to look for help. Maybe I can arrange to get coach weighed their the same day as test.
osok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 10:27 AM   #9
MPH

Anybody know the weight at which the MH cdl-type TX driver's license is required? I am shopping for a Class A. Only have a regular TX license for auto and motorcycle.
MPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 10:43 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPH View Post
Anybody know the weight at which the MH cdl-type TX driver's license is required? I am shopping for a Class A. Only have a regular TX license for auto and motorcycle.
From the Texas Department of Public Safety website

Classes of Driver Licenses

The class of a Texas driver license is determined by the:
  1. Type of vehicle operated on a Texas roadway
  2. Gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of the vehicle or the gross combination weight rating (GCWR) of the vehicles towed
  3. Number of passengers the vehicle can hold
Unless prohibited by the Commercial Driver License Act, the holder of a valid driver license may drive all vehicles in the class for which that license is issued and all lesser classes except motorcycles and mopeds.
Classified Driver License

Class A, B, C, and M driver licenses are issued to individuals who are exempt from obtaining a commercial driver license (CDL) or who are not required to obtain a CDL.
NOTE: Individuals who are exempt from obtaining a CDL may still be required to obtain a Class A or Class B driver license if the type of vehicle driven meets the definition of a commercial motor vehicle.
Individuals who are exempt from obtaining a CDL but may need a Class A or Class B driver license are:
  • Operators of recreational vehicles driven for personal use
  • Some farmers who meet certain criteria
  • Operators of cotton-seed modules or cotton burrs
  • A fire-fighting or emergency vehicle operator
  • Military vehicle operators
  • Vehicles owned, leased or controlled by an air carrier
For more information on exemptions, please refer to the Texas Commercial Motor Vehicle Drivers Handbook.
Classification Description
Class A
Authorizes an individual to drive a vehicle or combination of vehicles:
  1. Not described under a Class B or Class C driver license
  2. With a GVWR of 26,001 pounds or more provided the GVWR of the vehicle(s) towed is in excess of 10,000 pounds including vehicles in Class B or Class C
Class B
Authorizes an individual to drive:
  1. Any single vehicle with a GVWR of 26,001 pounds or more and any such vehicle towing a vehicle with a GVWR that does not exceed 10,000 pounds or a farm trailer with a GVWR that does not exceed 20,000 pounds
  2. A bus with a seating capacity of 24 passengers or more including the driver
  3. Any vehicle included in Class C
Class C
Authorizes an individual to drive any single vehicle:
  1. Or combination of vehicles that are not included in Class A or Class B
  2. With a GVWR of less than 26,001 pounds towing a farm trailer with a GVWR that does not exceed 20,000 pounds
  3. Designed to transport 23 or less passengers including the driver; vehicles rated as 16-23 passengers including the driver require a Class C CDL unless exempt
Class M
Authorizes an individual to drive a motorcycle or moped.
Class of Commercial Driver License (CDL)

Individuals who hold a valid CDL may drive all vehicles in the class for which that license is issued, including their personal vehicle (but not a motorcycle or moped).
Classification Description
Class A CDL
Authorizes an individual to drive any combination of vehicles with a GCWR of 26,001 pounds or more if the GVWR of the vehicle(s) towed exceeds 10,000 pounds.
Class B CDL
Authorizes an individual to drive any:
  1. Single vehicle with a GVWR of 26,001 pounds or more; any one of those vehicles that is towing a vehicle does not exceed a GVWR of 10,000 pounds
  2. Vehicle designed to transport 24 passengers or more including the driver
Class C CDL
Authorizes an individual to drive any single vehicle or combination of vehicles that is not a Class A or Class B if the vehicle is:
  1. Designed to transport 16 to 23 passengers including the driver
  2. Used in the transportation of hazardous materials that require the vehicle to be placarded
srx-6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 04:28 PM   #11
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPH View Post
The short and sweet of it is any vehicle weighing 26,001 pounds or more and towing a load of less than 10,000 pounds requires a Class B NON COMMERCIAL DL. The recreational vehicle exemption only applies to a Commercial DL.

There is a lot of misinformation about that exemption. Some think it completely exempts RV operators from having to get the higher license, but the exemption is for CDLs which have a lot more restrictions than a non commercial license.

Most Class A Gas rigs will weigh less than the 26,000 pounds. Diesel pushers up to 34 feet in length may or may not pass the weight restriction. Most anything longer than that will weigh in excess of 26,001. Our friends just bought a new Fleetwood Excursion 33 and it came in at exactly the 26,000 limit, so he didn't have to upgrade his license.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
driver, texas