Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-10-2016, 10:16 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
had to use a " slide rule ".
I recall every engr student walked around with these hanging from their belts on the way to class...

Okay a few of the computer sys mentioned above I don't recall, did my initial training with the mini's with altera 8000 system complete with toggle switches to load the boot loader. Then the audio cassette storage was the 'cats meow'...

the big systems needed key punch cards, or on line access with asr 33 teletype, and 110 baud dial in line... you think CG wifi was slow...

Then the 6800 with the bi-phase non overlapping clock, what a pain to create... who was going to win the micro wars, Moto, or Intel, Zilog was just a copy cat.

Time to check my bubble memory to see if I need to reload it from my core memory....

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-11-2016, 05:07 AM   #16

I also want to say, I love this site. Being relatively new to rving and loving the whole experience, I can come here and read this forum every day. I have learned a few things and I think I have contributed a few things. Of all the forums this is by far the best. Keep on trucking, wait, rving!

2000 Country Coach Allure #30476
2007 Subaru Outback
Winters in Ocala, summers in Pa and North East US.
funjnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 07:56 AM   #17

If us old folks can learn using the first computers, we can do anything!
Every time we take a trip, I learn so much more about what my coach can do that I didn't know about. I find it interesting that we now have MH's that are smarter than we are.
Thanks IRV2.
Old 10-11-2016, 08:48 AM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Georgie Boy Owners Club
I have a copy of Windows 3.1 if anyone is interested!
Old 10-11-2016, 12:20 PM   #19

Country Coach Owners Club
No one mentioned my Apple IIe? It did not do much but I had one.....
1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 12:31 PM   #20
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
Sounds like everyone responding is like me ; born 3 days before dirt was invented.
Couldn't carry those new calculators to school , had to use a " slide rule ".

Try handing one of those to your grand children ; tell them they need to know how they work for the times when the power for their computer goes out.

They'll tell you that's why their computers have backup batteries!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 01:14 PM   #21
cwk

Quote:
Originally Posted by JumboJet View Post
See if you remember these which I had and greatly contributed to my IT career:

Timex Sinclair
Commodore VIC-20
Commodore 64
IBM PC (No hard drive, 256K RAM, Hercules Graphic card, Amdek monitor, TEAC 1/2 height drives) With the Epson RX-80 cost was $3,400!!!!!!!!!!
IBM PC-XT
IBM PC 286, 386,.........................................
Timex Sinclair: Bought one, keyboard way too small (I learned to touch-type in H.S.), took it back and got a TRS80 instead.
I remember all of the rest. Actually used all of the PC's: XT, 286, 386, etc.
Also, used CPM, ZDOS (I called it MSDOS 1.0). Built my first PC from a "kit" with two 5.25" floppy drives. It was a Heathkit. I think it had an 8080 chip. That was a huge upgrade from the TRS80. Floppy disks were much better than the cassette tapes and recorder I used with the TRS80.

The TRS80 was enough to get me really interested in Computer Science. I later earned a few advanced degrees in CS and had some nice jobs along the way writing software.
cwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 01:23 PM   #22
cwk

Almost forgot.

Thanks, iRV2!!!!

I joined iRV2 late last year after using it to learn about a TT I had just purchased. The information was invaluable. And, that was just from searching the archives. Since I joined, I have learned so much more, made some great friends, and have even met some in person. I have been on other forums in the past (for other types of equipment and activities) and really appreciate everyone's willingness to help each other. I guess that's why we joined in the first place.

My thanks to the organizers and moderators. The way posts are organized here is very helpful. We are researching a future Class A purchase, and the info and experiences shared here is tremendous.
cwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 02:20 PM   #23

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Overland Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan and Ann View Post
If us old folks can learn using the first computers, we can do anything!
Every time we take a trip, I learn so much more about what my coach can do that I didn't know about. I find it interesting that we now have MH's that are smarter than we are.
Thanks IRV2.
Us "old folks" invented computers.....

The kids just know how to use them.... LOL
Owners of: www.tvformyrv.com
TVforMyRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 03:36 PM   #24
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by funjnt View Post
I also want to say, I love this site. Being relatively new to rving and loving the whole experience, I can come here and read this forum every day. I have learned a few things and I think I have contributed a few things. Of all the forums this is by far the best. Keep on trucking, wait, rving!

X2

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 08:00 PM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by deandec View Post
No one mentioned my Apple IIe? It did not do much but I had one.....
Actually the Apple //e did quite a bit - for the times. I ran my consulting business with it. Mine had 125k ram (thus an 80 character screen) and dual floppies. AppleWorks gave me word processing and spreadsheet, and an incredibly slow modem allowed me to use Telex with my European clients. Add in a printer (name escapes me) that used a IBM Selectric ball and produced a terrific looking letter.

BUT...
...if you want to go waaay back, I bought a Digi-Comp I back in 1963 while in college. If you remember this, you're not young.

The Digi-Comp had three plastic mechanical flip-flops and used vertical wire rods to connect them together in a programmable way using cylindrical pegs.

Input was by moving a lever back and forth. Different configurations of the pegs "programmed" the Digi-Comp. There was a three binary digit (3-bit) readout, and it could demonstrate binary logic, perform operations such as addition and subtraction, and to play some simple logic games.

I can't remember what I paid for it back then, but it was a lot for a college kid on a $30 per month allowance. It was fun for a while, but I probably regretted not spending the money on beer and pizza. Who knows?
AggieDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 08:11 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVforMyRV View Post
Us "old folks" invented computers.....

The kids just know how to use them.... LOL
I don't think I am old ...but I am also a long way from being a kid ....anyway, your comment did bring something interesting to mind that I was talking to a coworker about the other day. The team I manage takes care of computers for a company and it involves repairing the hardware. It is funny that we are finding the younger generation not being prepared for it because they never grew up building their own computers ...they are now the disposable tablet/laptop/cell phone generation.