Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-22-2013, 04:19 PM   #1

The best?

Excluding Prevost and Country Coach, what are the top three manufacturers today and their best model, of a Class A, diesel pusher motor home?
Tiffen
Newmar
Winnebago
Itasico
Alfa
Fleetwood
Any other manufacturer you may think of that offers a quality product.

I would very much like you to offer your opinion of the best. Please do not commit on another's opinion. After all we all have our favorites.

Thanks in advance for your time.
taffrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-22-2013, 04:23 PM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
Of those in your list, Entegra is not there and absolutely deserves a look. IMHO, best quality (coach, chassis, and power plant), amenities, service, and warrantee at each model's price point.
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 05:43 PM   #3

If you are looking for a quality motorhome then you definitely need to include Entegra. I'm not sure I would have Alfa on the list as they have been out of business for several years now. Also Tiffin has had more than their share of quality and design issues. American Coach is Fleetwood product, but they definitely belong in the quality category as they seem to be a big step up from some of the Fleetwood products.

If you are looking for what is the best motorhome, you'd have to ask at what level are you looking. At the MSRP of $200,000 to $300,000 you have Coachmen, Berkshire, some Newmars, some Tiffin models along with some of the Fleetwoods and some of the Thor products. Next step un in the $300-400 range brings in the Entegra Aspire, some more Tiffins, the Charleston, and some of the American Coach along with more Newmars, a few Thors, Monaco, and I'm sure I'm missing someone.

When you go beyond $400,000 then you have Entegras, some Tiffins, American Coach, some more Newmars and probably others. In all the categories you have the Winnebagos and their brethern, the Itascas.

The "best" is what suits someones needs and fits their particular budget. One man's treasure is another man's junk. It is a very, very subjective question that will draw as many opinions as there are motorhome owners on this board.
Old 03-22-2013, 07:43 PM   #4

I think it is impossible to generalize. You have to set a few parameters, like how much you want to pay, new or used, length, amenities, floor plan, etc. Probably all of us are a bit partial to our specific make and model.

2003 Fleetwood Expedition 38N 2005 Saturn Vue
jlfbatonrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 08:40 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The best?

The best RV is the one that best suits your needs and pocketbook. There are certainly high-end RVs, such as Prevost conversions and Newells, but we are talking $750k to $1.3 mil.

I suggest you think about why you want an RV and how you will use it. Part time with short trips, or on extended trips. Is small okay, or do you need lots of room? How does the floorplan suit you?

If you can define these choices, you should be able to find an RV to enjoy!

Happy Trails!

Darryl
desobelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 08:43 PM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
Well, Prevost does not manufacturer motorhomes, they only produce shells that converters turn into motorhomes.

So, my list in the big bux arena would be Newell, Foretravel, and then Country Coach.
dons2346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 02:43 PM   #7

The Best

Well, Prevost does not manufacturer motorhomes, they only produce shells that converters turn into motorhomes.

So, my list in the big bux arena would be Newell, Foretravel, and then Country Coach.

Ok, so let us leave out anything built on a Prevost. And the other really high end coaches. I am not looking for cost, I am looking for quality. I suspect in motor homes as in most things, all that glitters is not gold. If you know of a good, quality, well made home please list it here. I do not care if it has no TV's or 12. What I really am concerned with is quality construction and components.
taffrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 02:50 PM   #8

Your list is inclusive, but I would eliminate Alpha. They are no longer manufactured, and they had significant body panel issues.

I'm sure you didn't intend any order to your list. Nor do I.

P.S. There are lots of positive reports on Entegra on this forum.
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 06:37 PM   #9

I agree Integra has to be on the list... Also Winnebago Tour isn't your traditional mom and pop Winnebago! Even when Alfa was in business they in no way would of sniffed the top of the list... They were like a Dodge Grand caravan ( had all the toys and bling but just trash)
TThorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 10:08 PM   #10

You said "What I really am concerned with is quality construction and components."

I also wanted those qualities in my purchase (as I think most of us would), but even as important, or possibly more important to me, was the company that made that product and the customer service that came with that product. No matter what you end up with ---you will have issues, it goes with the territory. I am more than pleased with the decision that I made for all the reasons listed above.

Please refer to the signature below and PM me if you would like to discuss why I bought an Entegra.
iquailhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 10:15 PM   #11

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by desobelman View Post
The best RV is the one that best suits your needs and pocketbook. There are certainly high-end RVs, such as Prevost conversions and Newells, but we are talking $750k to $1.3 mil.

I suggest you think about why you want an RV and how you will use it. Part time with short trips, or on extended trips. Is small okay, or do you need lots of room? How does the floorplan suit you?

If you can define these choices, you should be able to find an RV to enjoy!

Happy Trails!

Darryl
You can get two models of Newmars that are over 750K list, the Essex and King Aire.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 09:09 AM   #12
Community Moderator

country coach's quality is no question asked. that is the reason i bought one and being happy
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 09:19 AM   #13

sdlcrazier - how much difference from a Country Coach is the lesser Revolution?
A used Revolution is just now in my financial reach.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 10:29 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If you are looking at new DP's in production today, you will have to take Country Coach off the list. The company was re launched in 2010 after suffering financial hardship in the economic downturn. Today they service, sell parts, and sell used coaches. Rumor has it they will one again go into production but are not currently. My list would include, Foretravel, Newmar, American Coach, Tiffen, Monaco, and Winnebago, and maybe not in that order. I have had the opportunity to visit several of these brands manufacturing facilities and have found that experience to be very educational. If you are able to, I suggest visiting the factory of the brands you are most interested in and really see how these things are put together, what materials are used, and what level of quality is being built in during the production.

Mike
2012 DSDP 3734
MJFZ is offline   Reply With Quote