Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-21-2016, 09:20 AM   #127

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBelvedere View Post
The Tire Pass lane at Loves's is of benefit to me. I'm type A+ when it comes to accurate tire pressures and I find its well worth the $5.00. The fact that you can also fuel up at the same time is also a plus. I've also noticed that the Tire Pass lanes are a tad cleaner.
MrBelvedere
Unless you park your coach for hours before entering a Love's Tire Pass lane, (or allow the tires to cool down when parked in the tire pass lane)... it's NOT POSSIBLE for them to to set your tire pressures accurately.
(I'm surprised a "type A+ accurate tire pressure guy" doesn't know that).
Mel
'96 Safari

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-21-2016, 09:45 AM   #128

In the FAQ section of Tire Pass, it states that it will not let air out of a hot tire.
They also suggest using it during your pre-trip inspection.

That works if you slept there.

Old 07-21-2016, 10:33 AM   #129

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My tires are up to operating pressure within a few miles. At least to me, I would only fill after it sat overnight. Mine 120 in the morning, within 15 minutes they are 135 and they just kind of hover there regardless of temp or duration.
Old 07-21-2016, 01:42 PM   #130

Newmar Owners Club
Mel - I guess I will move down to an A-!!

Funny, many of the commercial trucking companies now require the drivers to utilize the Tire Pass Lane..but hey..who knows more than you!!
Old 07-21-2016, 02:22 PM   #131

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:

Funny, many of the commercial trucking companies now require the drivers to utilize the Tire Pass Lane..but hey..who knows more than you!!
MrBelvedere, I get that Mel S' comment was, well we know what it was.

But the rest of us are waiting to understand how the service guy knows how to accurately air up a hot tire, whose pressure due to the heat is probably well above the cold inflation value already when you pull in. My cold inflation for steer tires is 110, but after driving they hit 120 to 127. So if I pull in at 127 psi for a tire with a cold inflation value of 110, what does the system do with that?

We've all grown up with the don't air up hot tires mentality.

When they connect to your tires do they measure temp as well as pressure and calculate the correct pressure?

Inquiring minds want to know
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 02:50 PM   #132

Quote:

What Mel, I and others are concerned about is anyone checking for accurate tire pressures on heated tires? I assume you are aware of the cold vs warm psi differences and that the only accurate way to assure that a tire is inflated correctly is when it is cold and before it has warmed up to running temp. I can see a benefit to this service, but only in the morning if you dry camped in the Love's parking lot.
Old 07-21-2016, 03:05 PM   #133
TurnerFamily : )

Arrow

DIESEL and truck stops:

In over 50,000 miles we have probably only stopped through a 'truck stop' diesel lane on two occasions. My coach length of 35', plus toad, allows me to get into most regular vehicle diesel lanes at any retail fuel location, though sometimes it takes some planning and patience. The fuel cost savings is probably well deserved over the truck stop prices.
I fill my DEF from the retail jugs, as needed, which for us is also more convenient than trying to use DEF lanes.

So, no truck stops for us. well, at least until we move up to that 45' tag : )
Old 07-21-2016, 03:06 PM   #134

Quote:

Mel did tweak you a little hard but his point is valid. Checking & adjusting tire pressure on other than a cold tire is not correct.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 03:15 PM   #135
RVM1

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
In the FAQ section of Tire Pass, it states that it will not let air out of a hot tire.
They also suggest using it during your pre-trip inspection.

That works if you slept there.

Yep!
All I do is look at my TPMS before leaving camp. Tire Pass has no benefit for me.
In fact, truck stops have no benefit for me! I'm just one of those weirdos that goes to regular fuel stations without any problems at all. I won't divulge my secrets, but love the savings.

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 03:53 PM   #136

Quote:
Funny, many of the commercial trucking companies now require the drivers to utilize the Tire Pass Lane..
but hey..who knows more than you!!
MrBelvedere
You?
Mel
Old 07-21-2016, 05:39 PM   #137
iRV2 Forum Advocate

Winnebago Owners Club
Last night I took my son's 40-footer to a Costco to top off and used my PenFed VISA card for a 5% discount (immediate statement rebate). Now that Costco takes VISA, it's nice to get that 5% (not 5-cents per gallon but 5% off) using the PenFed card since not only is Costco usually the cheapest fuel in an area but the fuel is fresh as their turnover is high. I usually try to use the diesel pumps early in the morning or near closing time when it's less busy. Not all Costcos have diesel but for the ones that do, it's great to get a low price and now being able to use the PenFed card, it definitely makes it the most inexpensive fuel around. BTW, for those that use gas, it's rated top-tier.

I did not have a toad and did have to jockey once in order not to run over a curb but otherwise had a lot of room. It's probably not a good idea to use Costco during their busy times as you're taking up more than one pump.

It's not practical for most people especially when traveling while on the road but if you're based near one that has diesel, it may be worth considering.
Old 07-21-2016, 05:54 PM   #138
RVM1

The big truck stops

Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc View Post
I did not have a toad and did have to jockey once in order not to run over a curb but otherwise had a lot of room. It's probably not a good idea to use Costco during their busy times as you're taking up more than one pump.

It's not practical for most people especially when traveling while on the road but if you're based near one that has diesel, it may be worth considering.

Yes, non-peak hours really helps. When truck stop pumps are up to 3 trucks deep (sometimes called convenient), regular fuel stations work best. And the 5% added to a bunch cheaper than P/FJ et al just makes it sweeter! This is time saving, cost saving, and amazing cha-ching.
I recommend that everyone at least study the CDL manual and practice the air brake stuf, maneuvering and turning. I am much safer for having done that
Some will come back with "I've never had a problem". If they just study the CDL manual they will say "wow, that not only makes sense but makes driving easier and safer". They can shed the fear!

When you can confidently drive in downtown traffic and make the tight corners, or pull up to a standard fuel pump without jockeying or unhooking, or back into a space in one shot, etc, it feels very good.
Drive confidently!
Shed the fear!

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 06:13 PM   #139

I used to do flying J almost exclusively but now that I have the gas buddy app I tend to look for lower prices. Just completed almost 10,000 miles and found truck stops to be 20 to 40 cents above the other local stations. I fuel up between 400 and 500 miles on a tank so it is usually not hard to find a station that costs a little less with reasonable access. Stores with fuel stations like Murphies, safeway, krogens seem to do a lot of diesel so fuel should be fresh.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 08:00 PM   #140

Quote:
Originally Posted by bokobird View Post
You don't get a receipt at the pump at say P/FJ. You'd have to go inside. I take a picture of the pump prior to leaving so I have my own record of purchases.

X2. Yep. I take quick snap with the camera phone.