Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 07-21-2016, 08:52 PM   #141
Registered User
 
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 966
Well now the truckers are looking at me as the dirtball! Actually I was in the RV lane at Flying J. I walked away for one second to get a towel and that stupid nozzle slid out and shot diesel all over the coach, me, the ground.......gee zoots what a mess.
__________________

__________________
Atom Ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-21-2016, 10:02 PM   #142
Senior Member
 
guardrail53's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: anywhere U.S.A, Currently back home in Thailand!
Posts: 1,854
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atom Ant View Post
Well now the truckers are looking at me as the dirtball! Actually I was in the RV lane at Flying J. I walked away for one second to get a towel and that stupid nozzle slid out and shot diesel all over the coach, me, the ground.......gee zoots what a mess.
Atom, on my older Monaco, I use a bungee to hold the fuel nozzle in, as I did the same on my semi too! Just bend the one side hook around something/a hole inside the door, then run it over the nozzle after you put it in, to hold it in! That is a mess for sure, and it happens more than you think! Some of the truck stop nozzle's have a flat looking lever that has a hook on the end, to go in with the nozzle, then hook the inside lip of the fuel neck, to hold the nozzle in while fueling! But not all have these! The springs they put on the nozzle's do not do the job most of the time! Try the bungee, works for me! Rail!
PS, burn your clothes next campfire, the diesel smell never comes out!
__________________

__________________
Retired, and "Always on Holiday!"
1996 Monaco Windsor 38PB, "Mona" 275 HP., 8.3 Cummins, 3060 Allison 6 speed
guardrail53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 12:46 AM   #143
Registered User
 
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 966
Quote:
Originally Posted by guardrail53 View Post
Atom, on my older Monaco, I use a bungee to hold the fuel nozzle in, as I did the same on my semi too! Just bend the one side hook around something/a hole inside the door, then run it over the nozzle after you put it in, to hold it in! That is a mess for sure, and it happens more than you think! Some of the truck stop nozzle's have a flat looking lever that has a hook on the end, to go in with the nozzle, then hook the inside lip of the fuel neck, to hold the nozzle in while fueling! But not all have these! The springs they put on the nozzle's do not do the job most of the time! Try the bungee, works for me! Rail!
PS, burn your clothes next campfire, the diesel smell never comes out!
Ah that's a great idea! thanks! There quite a few places inside that hatch to hook to. I'm just glad the wife wasn't standing there in the path or I'd be sleeping in the cargo hold!
__________________
Atom Ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 07:56 AM   #144
Senior Member
 
skypilot_1's Avatar
 
Tiffin Owners Club
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Summer in The Ozarks
Posts: 731
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich-n-Linda View Post
I don't know what truck stops you're going into, but this is most definitely NOT my experience. I fuel at truck stops 100% of the time and have never tracked any grease or dirt into the coach.

I'm sure all hard-working truckers reading your post will appreciate being called "dirt balls."





If you "listen" to CB radio you'll discover there is no luv lost there between "campers" and truckers. We're even lower then "four wheels" and their lower then whale poop, which is at the bottom the ocean in CB vernacular.
Do you use the showers too. I know some here said they do.
__________________
Ret. Military/Corporate Pilot
Key West Snowbirds
"Age is an issue of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter"
skypilot_1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 07:58 AM   #145
Registered User
 
mel s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 8,777
Until I read this it never realized that some people hold strong negative opinions about truck stops.

Whenever my coach needs diesel I simply find a truck stop (OR a gas station that sells diesel), look for an accessible diesel pump, drive to it... and fill-er-up.

BTW I've fueled my coach nearly 300 times in 20 years and I've seldom used the same station more than once, (with the exception of one near my sticks & bricks).

Mel
'96 Safari, 148k miles
__________________
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 05:02 PM   #146
Senior Member
 
Rich-n-Linda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 884
The big truck stops

Quote:
Originally Posted by skypilot_1 View Post
[/COLOR]
If you "listen" to CB radio you'll discover there is no luv lost there between "campers" and truckers. We're even lower then "four wheels" and their lower then whale poop, which is at the bottom the ocean in CB vernacular.
Do you use the showers too. I know some here said they do.

In another life back in the 70's, I co-owned a very busy CB shop. I handled the service side. I have repaired more than 5,000 CB radios my my life. Had a Cobra 132 in the car, a Cobra 135 at the store and a Browning at home. I got out of the business somewhere around 1978 and never looked back.

Today, I don't own a CB and I don't want one. And I don't care one bit if some truckers think I'm only one step up from whale s***.

Having said that, I must also say that every conversation I've ever had with truckers while in truck stops has been very pleasant.
__________________
Rich-n-Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 05:13 PM   #147
Senior Member
 
skypilot_1's Avatar
 
Tiffin Owners Club
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Summer in The Ozarks
Posts: 731
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ownby View Post
Mel did tweak you a little hard but his point is valid. Checking & adjusting tire pressure on other than a cold tire is not correct.

Mark Twain said it best "It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled. Jus sayn !
__________________
Ret. Military/Corporate Pilot
Key West Snowbirds
"Age is an issue of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter"
skypilot_1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 05:54 PM   #148
Senior Member
 
TimSullivan's Avatar
 
Country Coach Owners Club
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: SoCal
Posts: 103
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
I must be different than most. I enjoy the big truck stops. Our motorhome with trailer is longer than all but the double and triple bottom rigs. I don't mind the oily concrete. It's a lot better than the calf pens I had to clean as a teenager. I like the rapid fill the high volume pumps provide and enjoy talking to the truckers when they ask what's in the trailer. I don't pay much attention the fuel price, as it's a small part of the total cost of owning and enjoying the lifestyle. If I have to wait for the guy in front, so be it. He's making his living and I'm on vacation.
X2
__________________
Tim Sullivan, 2016 Winnebago Era 170A. (Formerly: 1984 Itasca 31' Windcruiser; 1993 Holiday Rambler 33'; 2000 Country Coach Magna DP)
TimSullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 06:21 PM   #149
Senior Member
 
CampDaven's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Fulltime, USA
Posts: 14,053
Blog Entries: 1
The big truck stops

Enjoy your truck stops.
I love the new fuel stations.
Money is a terrible thing to waste

Name:   ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1469233263.426510.jpg
Views: 369
Size:  91.5 KB

Name:   ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1469233290.311186.jpg
Views: 357
Size:  87.8 KB

Name:   ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1469233307.364920.jpg
Views: 358
Size:  93.0 KB
__________________
Dave and Nola, RVM1
The Journey is Our Destination!

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 06:35 PM   #150
Senior Member/RVM #90
 
MSHappyCampers's Avatar


 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Columbus, MS
Posts: 24,307
Quote:
Originally Posted by campdaven View Post
enjoy your truck stops.
I love the new fuel stations.
Money is a terrible thing to waste
Attachment 133897
Attachment 133898
Attachment 133899
x2! 😉
__________________
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 07:24 PM   #151
Member
 
KPFulltimers's Avatar
 
Gulf Streamers Club
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Fulltime, USA
Posts: 88
All I care about is finding a place where I can get in and out of with the toad attached. Almost makes me want to trade in my gasser for a DP...almost. I like Flying J because they are one of the few companies and almost always has a gas RV island.

I would be happy to step in a little diesel spill if truck stops would just put ONE gas pump in the truck islands!!!
__________________
Phil & Kathi
USAF/USAF Civil Service Retired - Fulltimers since October 2014
2006 GS Independence 8357LS, 2011 Equinox, Hobie Odyssey, CHF, 5 Star Tune, TireTracker
KPFulltimers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 07:32 PM   #152
Senior Member
 
CampDaven's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Fulltime, USA
Posts: 14,053
Blog Entries: 1
The big truck stops

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPFulltimers View Post
All I care about is finding a place where I can get in and out of with the toad attached. Almost makes me want to trade in my gasser for a DP...almost. I like Flying J because they are one of the few companies and almost always has a gas RV island.

I would be happy to step in a little diesel spill if truck stops would just put ONE gas pump in the truck islands!!!

You would fit just fine where I get fuel, and they also sell gas.
Your 36.5 will fit as well as my 42 does, and the toad simply tags along.
__________________
Dave and Nola, RVM1
The Journey is Our Destination!

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 07:55 PM   #153
Member
 
KPFulltimers's Avatar
 
Gulf Streamers Club
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Fulltime, USA
Posts: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
You would fit just fine where I get fuel, and they also sell gas.
Your 36.5 will fit as well as my 42 does, and the toad simply tags along.
Can't tell where that is...

I use Walmart occasionally but that is a crap shoot most of the time. I am not a Sam's Club or other club member and not sure if the club membership cost is worth it...or do your new fuel stations exist everywhere?
__________________
Phil & Kathi
USAF/USAF Civil Service Retired - Fulltimers since October 2014
2006 GS Independence 8357LS, 2011 Equinox, Hobie Odyssey, CHF, 5 Star Tune, TireTracker
KPFulltimers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 07:57 PM   #154
Senior Member
 
CampDaven's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Fulltime, USA
Posts: 14,053
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by KPFulltimers View Post
Can't tell where that is...

I use Walmart occasionally but that is a crap shoot most of the time. I am not a Sam's Club or other club member and not sure if the club membership cost is worth it...or do your new fuel stations exist everywhere?

Yes, they do!
Gas Buddy and Google Earth show me the way, all over the US.
__________________

__________________
Dave and Nola, RVM1
The Journey is Our Destination!

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Low bridge/rest stops/trk stops for US wb7auk Just Conversation 10 03-03-2014 05:38 AM
Fueling at Truck stops and "Mini-Marts" Tincup Class A Motorhome Discussions 44 03-26-2011 02:02 AM
diesel truck stops pahrump? Techie Navigation, Routes & Roads 3 06-24-2006 06:54 AM
I've been lost in password land. Big truck for big rig. Rhonda in NC Toy Haulers Discussion 41 08-04-2005 12:57 AM
Fuel Card for Truck Stops Jack Wilkinson iRV2.com General Discussion 11 03-08-2005 11:21 AM

» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:26 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.