Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-25-2016, 06:54 AM   #169

At 63 ft towing, access is critical for us. Traveling with friends, we stopped at a Pilot, while friend drove 4 miles toward town to save 13 cents/gal. We were at our site for 2.5 hrs, and starting to worry when he finally pulled in. Got trapped at pump by other cars, and had to unhook to get out. Had to change fuel filter (bad fuel??), and at 7.4mpg (1.2 gal x $2.19) to drive the 8mi , His savings was minimal. Plus lost time aggravation, cost of filter etc. Just saying!!😁

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-25-2016, 07:09 AM   #170

For some, it's important to feel that they have found the lowest fuel price and will go out of their way to get it. For me, it's all about convenience. The price of fuel is down the list of priority. At 75' long, I like the open space of the big Truck Stops. Easy in, fast fillup, easy out and back on the road, or space to park for a nap if needed.

Old 07-25-2016, 12:49 PM   #171

Count me in the group that takes the most conservative, safe approach...the big truck stops. I pretty much know what to expect and that's what I do get. It takes minimal time, offers a lot in the way of goods and services. Gives me a chance to stop for an hour or two if I need. Trucker path shows me fuel prices so I can stay big and still keep an eye on price differences, especially if nearing state boundaries. I guess I feel very wealthy because at getting 75 gallons at a time I am not so inspired to put up with the chances in hunting for a possible $15 to $20 savings when the downside can be pretty unhappy..
Old 07-25-2016, 01:46 PM   #172
RVM1

The big truck stops

Fear of maneuvering is quite a handicap for some. Reading the CDL manual can help.
I saved $30 on 100 gallons, plus cash back with the CC today. And it was 1/4 mile from the Pilot shop.
Easy in and out with 65 feet. I don't need any services or over-priced tidbits. It more than paid for my very quiet campsite!
Lose the fear!

Name:   ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1469475919.541538.jpg
Views: 654
Size:  65.3 KB

Name:   ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1469475934.798903.jpg
Views: 647
Size:  126.3 KB

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 02:15 PM   #173

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
Fear of maneuvering is quite a handicap for some. Reading the CDL manual can help.
I saved $30 on 100 gallons, plus cash back with the CC today. And it was 1/4 mile from the Pilot shop.
Easy in and out with 65 feet. I don't need any services or over-priced tidbits. It more than paid for my very quiet campsite!
Lose the fear!
Attachment 134164
Attachment 134165
Never had a fear of maneuvering after having to back four wheeled hay wagons into the barn for unloading when I was 16. If you haven't done it, you should try it sometime. It will add a whole new meaning to maneuvering. Backing semi's and trailers was a breeze compared to that. Or driving on the narrow streets on Niagara falls with 18" of clearance on either side. Just gave up my CDL license at last renewal, as I just didn't need it anymore. I use whatever Truck Stop happens to be around when I need fuel for convenience, because I just don't have the need or desire to look for cheaper fuel.
Old 07-25-2016, 03:19 PM   #174
RVM1

The big truck stops

Gas Buddy. Free ap. Shows what I need (see pic). No guessing!
Yep. Hay wagons, honey wagons, etc, I backed them all, filled them all.

Old 07-25-2016, 03:26 PM   #175

Went to camping world New Braunfles today. TA gas was $2.43...one mile Bucees was $2.01. 85 gallon average fillup for me...$35.70 difference. Bucees does not allow 18 wheelers. 260 pumps at this location and everyone has diesel.Def was $2.57 gallon.
Texasranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 05:53 PM   #176
RVM1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texasranger View Post
Went to camping world New Braunfles today. TA gas was $2.43...one mile Bucees was $2.01. 85 gallon average fillup for me...$35.70 difference. Bucees does not allow 18 wheelers. 260 pumps at this location and everyone has diesel.Def was $2.57 gallon.

It's a non-truck-stop lovers dream!
Come back to the future, folks. The NEW fuel station designs are downright nifty!

Old 07-26-2016, 07:52 AM   #177

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBadDad View Post
Count me in the group that takes the most conservative, safe approach...the big truck stops. I pretty much know what to expect and that's what I do get. It takes minimal time, offers a lot in the way of goods and services. Gives me a chance to stop for an hour or two if I need. Trucker path shows me fuel prices so I can stay big and still keep an eye on price differences, especially if nearing state boundaries. I guess I feel very wealthy because at getting 75 gallons at a time I am not so inspired to put up with the chances in hunting for a possible $15 to $20 savings when the downside can be pretty unhappy..
I know this wisdom is good. So is good judgment. I have been to big rig stops that were death traps and local stations that were more user friendly. Not all good or bad is found in a brand name. Some of the Flying J's on the east coast are a trip to get into.

How often do we drag the hitch getting to a pump? Has happened to me too often, even at some of the poorly designed big rig stops. Newell has just shipped a lift kit to me that they designed at my request. When I get to my in-laws in TX I will get my first look at it. I am the Ginny pig trial for this kit. I have another thread on the forum on this topic. Bottom line? Truck stop or not, buck saving is not always an option. Wisdom and good driving sense isn't either.

Happy trails,
Rick Y
Rick & Melissa Young & Dawson, 2011 Itasca Meridian 40U, Freightliner XCL, Cummins ISL 380HP/DEF, Allison 3000 MH, 2014 Honda CR-V, SMI AF1, Blue Ox tow equip., TST 507 TPMS, TruCenter steering control, Hughes auto transformer.
Servants On Wheels Ever Ready. Best job we ever paid to do . (full time volunteers)
jerichorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 05:36 PM   #178

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
For some, it's important to feel that they have found the lowest fuel price and will go out of their way to get it. For me, it's all about convenience. The price of fuel is down the list of priority. At 75' long, I like the open space of the big Truck Stops. Easy in, fast fillup, easy out and back on the road, or space to park for a nap if needed.

If saving 10 cents/Gal. is my priority, I should sell the MH and stay home.
I frequent truck stops for the reasons you assigned.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 07:48 PM   #179

Newmar Owners Club
Not as bad as stopping at a rest area and watch a guy pour out lemonade from a mayonnaise jar. Wait now we know what that smell is. I think we would rather stop at a truck stop and step in diesel...
lakebuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 08:44 PM   #180

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Dude if it weren't for Flying J, Pilot and the other BIG RIG fuel service stations I would most likely be in jail because of the idiot 4 wheelers and the design of their gas stations that don't take into account cars with long behind trailers and trucks with 5th wheels have to fuel up too. I have had to pass many a gas station due to not being able to pull in close enough to the pump yet far enough away t be able to make that darn turn to get out. Or better yet the 4 wheeler that pulls up in front of you going the wrong way after you have started pulling up to the rear pump to jump in front just so they don't have to wait for their $5 worth of gas and then spend 20 minutes in the store to get a slurpee
Okay I'll jump off the box now.
I'm done.

I love Truck stops
Old 07-27-2016, 06:39 AM   #181

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post

If saving 10 cents/Gal. is my priority, I should sell the MH and stay home.
Big time.

You do what you want to do. Others want to save a few bucks when possible and no, they're not obliged to stay home for doing so. Indeed, some folks their camper is their home.
Old 08-03-2016, 07:53 PM   #182

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atom Ant View Post
ya it's not my favorite thing either. Fueling and RV parks with residents kind of takes the "adventure" out of RVing.