Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-04-2016, 04:55 PM   #183

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
After reading all 182 entries, my conclusion is, their are those of us who like the big truck stops and those who don't. We are all entitled to our way to fuel our rigs. We are not entitled to disparage the truckers, their fuel stops or even the folks working there. Over our travels, we use both the truck stops and the gas/diesel stations and have found both to be good. I have great respect for the guys and gals that make their living doing long hauls. 90% of them are decent down to earth folks. The 10% that aren't don't really count. I have found RVer's in the same percentages. The thing we should remember is that "Bubba" is probably husband and father who hasn't seen his wife and kid (s) for a while. We need to remember that prior to being RVER'S we were working stiffs too.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-04-2016, 08:41 PM   #184

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Send a message via Skype™ to mjwest
Fuel

We use the major truck stops (Pilot,Flying J) but also use Murphy's when near a WalMart. Good fuel and cheaper especially if you use their charge card (-$.05). I hate trying to negotiate the mom & pop stations even though I would prefer to spend my money there I given the choice.

mjwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 04:59 PM   #185

So go somewhere else. I use Flying J/Pilot regularly. No significant problems. I need the room provided by truck pumps. Use my card at the pump. Easy.
Old 08-06-2016, 05:15 PM   #186

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navy NFO View Post
So go somewhere else. I use Flying J/Pilot regularly. No significant problems. I need the room provided by truck pumps. Use my card at the pump. Easy.

What he said!
Steve Ownby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 05:35 PM   #187

Newmar Owners Club
They are not my favorites either, but sometimes a necessity. I often try to plan my fuel stops before I ever leave home. That's not too hard to do when you are still working and have a specific itinerary. I can see where it may be more difficult when you are not on a schedule or have a structured itinerary. Some of the Pilot/FJ's have RV islands and they are especially welcomed.
Roadmaster Blackhawk 2, RVI2 Brake System
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 05:52 PM   #188

We are almost home from a six week trip from Illinois to Massachusetts, Maine, the Canadian Maritime provinces and Vermont. We filled the Class C many times and only had to do the toad once due to my miscalculation of angles.
The best/easiest places to get gas were on the Ohio turnpike. They have rest areas with separate areas for RVs and semis. There are separate fueling areas for RVs and semis also with both diesel and gas at the pumps. They even had spots for overnighting at the rest sous with electric hookups for $20 a night.
The New York throughway was also easy to refill on with straight pull through pumps.
My worst experience was our way to Massachusetts through New York. We pulled up to a pump behind a car that was done getting gas. The driver wasn't there but there was a teen in the passengers seat so we thought that they'd be leaving shortly. We wreaked over 20 minutes. Finally dad came walking out of the rest stop building with a bag and drink from McDonalds. He laughed and waved at us as he climbed into the Mercedes and pulled away.
My wife doesn't swear, she did loudly at him. I felt badly that I hadn't done something to get an assault or at least a criminal damage charge.
Everything was down hill from there.
Old 08-06-2016, 06:14 PM   #189

Entegra Owners Club
We have found taking the Highways instead of the Interstates, many of the gas stations have truck islands that are not 50 cents a gallon higher like the Interstate Truck Stops.
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 06:46 PM   #190

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
just got back from 3 weeks out to the west coast, and I have to say I am sick of truck stops and truckers. They don't like us, and I don't like them. That's the general attitude.

Truck stops are noisy as H, dirty aprons, I never could get DEF to work at Flying J so after 3 different stations and worthless help at the desk I gave up. Pulled out of one that shared the same entrance and exit and some arrogant trucker whipped in and cut me off then we got jammed because I couldn't back up with a toad. He called me names thinking I was going out the entrance, and I called him names back and he ended up driving up into the grass, purposely coming within 1/2" of my mirror with his whole trailer as he pulled past.

Out on I-80 - it is a river of trucks - I'm not sure why I even bother with the interstates - they can have it. They beat the H out of it, so they can own it.

Last 15 miles home, I'm in baseball night traffic and I have nowhere to move to avoid one of their blown tire carcasses they decorate the highways with. ripped a coolant line off my DEF system and within 2 minutes my Cummins shut down and left me on the side of the Interstate on a Sunday. Probably a $1,500 repair bill and loss of use for a week or two

BMW and the Ritz Carlton sometimes seems like the better choice! I'll feel better tomorrow. We really had a nice trip and met some nice RVers on the road.
Old 08-08-2016, 11:13 PM   #191

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Can't say as I relate to your difficulty, Atom! I've crossed the country six times by motorcycle some years ago, four times by motorhome more recently, and probably near a dozen times by car. Never had any difficulty with truckers in this or any other lifetime. Sorry.

John & Diane, fulltiming since '12 02 DS, FL, Cat330, '04 Element NHSO RVM103
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 11:39 PM   #192

[QUOTE=Atom Ant;3199981]just got back from 3 weeks out to the west coast, and I have to say I am sick of truck stops and truckers. They don't like us, and I don't like them. That's the general attitude.

QUOTE]

Could it be your attitude????

DTW
Dtwallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 05:05 AM   #193

[QUOTE=Dtwallace;3200350]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atom Ant View Post
just got back from 3 weeks out to the west coast, and I have to say I am sick of truck stops and truckers. They don't like us, and I don't like them. That's the general attitude.

QUOTE]

DTW
So true!

I drive both semi, and a 40' DP. I have not had problems with either. Are thee individuals, in BOTH, that are A holes? Yes. But, if you go out there with a smile, respect the other, seems like it is a pretty good place.

You think truckers, who work LONG hours, and are governed by Hours of Service, appreciate it pulling into the rest area at night, and it is FULL of RV's, so that they have no place to get required sleep? And there are two campgrounds at the next exit, that truckers CANNOT use, but the RV's can?
Old 08-09-2016, 06:05 AM   #194

I have found most truckers to be some of the most friendly people on the road. They like my rig and I like theirs. We chat when the opportunity is there and go away with good feelings. I signal them when they can pull in after passing me and they return their thanks with their lights. We could not function very well without the service that truckers provide for our standard of living. It's a hard life, but glad that some choose to do it. As someone said, "Attitude is everything"
Old 08-09-2016, 06:45 AM   #195
RVM1

The big truck stops

30 bucks savings per 100 gallons equals 6 Malpeque oysters and 6 Quahog clams in PEI.
Some "shell it out", others "gain some clams".
For us, it's convenience on both counts, but one tastes better.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1470746726.878367.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	135380

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 08:25 AM   #196

Monaco Owners Club
[QUOTE=Dtwallace;3200350]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atom Ant View Post

QUOTE]

DTW

C&SL is online now   Reply With Quote