Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-10-2016, 10:32 AM   #211

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atom Ant View Post
Well that only solves my beef with a few truckers. I had a beautiful 2014 40 ft fifthwheel and 2014 dually up until we traded May of this year, and I'm not going back to that. It had its own set of aggravations, starting with having to drive a dually everywhere once you get there.
I hear ya, had that issue with our previous 5th wheel. We now carry a Harley in the garage and do lots of scenic riding.
V3600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-10-2016, 10:58 AM   #212

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by V3600 View Post
I hear ya, had that issue with our previous 5th wheel. We now carry a Harley in the garage and do lots of scenic riding.
Nice! This MH happened to have a motorcycle lift, at least the framework for it. I would need to find the lift itself to use it and its on the radar fairly soon. It was a cruiser lift rather than hydralift, but all the hard work is done.
Atom Ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 01:28 PM   #213

Big truck stops

Some of them are pretty grubby and I hate the $100 dollar a crack advance payment. I have a pair of old slip on's and gloves that i keep in a plastic bag in entry step storage that I put on for fueling. The big stops are a mandatory evil.....got jammed in a small fuel location years ago.......never again !
Had a trucker blast his air horn at me one day, damn near gave me a shot to the ticker. I had quickly put my fueling skids and gloves away and was just about to release air brake and get moving.
Did a mirror check and he was almost on my bumper cursing and waving his hands around.
Fifteen years ago I would have got out and directed some colourfull language his way but I just rolled on with a smile and wife was happy !
RIDER FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 02:08 PM   #214

The big truck stops

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIDER FAN View Post
The big stops are a mandatory evil.....got jammed in a small fuel location years ago.......never again !

and get moving.

Evidently you have not looked at the new roomy, easy access fuel stations.
See post #172
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 02:26 PM   #215

The big truck stops

Quote:
Originally Posted by slemnah View Post
... the small nozzle, I fill 150 gallons and that nozzle takes forever.

I'm guessing that "forever" is from hurried impatience.
Fuel is delivered faster at truck pumps, about 3 times faster.
However, if I filled 150 gallons my extra 10 minutes of "forever" gains me $45 (ie: 4 steamed 1lb lobsters to go here in New Brunswick). I'll take the $3 per minute vs getting down the road another 10 miles.
And no special shoes
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 03:18 PM   #216

Monaco Owners Club
Frankly I have more problems with the people driving cars and pickups who are using the road versus commercial truckers. But that discussion is for a different thread.

Disclaimer, I am 72 feet long when towing my cargo trailer which is longer than most commercial rigs on the highway. I don't fit into most fueling places where other normal sized vehicles have no problems.

I use Gas Buddy almost exclusively to find the best location to fuel up at the best price in the area. I use the map function to get a view of the fueling station to see whether I will have easy ingress and egress for that station. If not I find one where I do.

If I cannot find any station that will fit my rig then I will use a truck stop to fuel up.

I have used Sam's Club's that have diesel, large fueling stations where the diesel pump is off by itself, normal fuel stations where the pumps are positioned for easy access.

In all my travels throughout north america I have personally found truckers to be just like anyone else trying to make a living. Since I am retired I always give them the right of way and allow them to do their business first.

Most have said that they would like to do what I am doing one day once they retire and most of them have commented on my rig.

It is the commercial trucking industry and those dedicated drivers that deliver our products all over the country. Without them your costs for those products would be out of sight and unaffordable.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 03:47 PM   #217
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
Frankly I have more problems with the people driving cars and pickups who are using the road versus commercial truckers. But that discussion is for a different thread.

Disclaimer, I am 72 feet long when towing my cargo trailer which is longer than most commercial rigs on the highway. I don't fit into most fueling places where other normal sized vehicles have no problems.

I use Gas Buddy almost exclusively to find the best location to fuel up at the best price in the area. I use the map function to get a view of the fueling station to see whether I will have easy ingress and egress for that station. If not I find one where I do.

If I cannot find any station that will fit my rig then I will use a truck stop to fuel up.

I have used Sam's Club's that have diesel, large fueling stations where the diesel pump is off by itself, normal fuel stations where the pumps are positioned for easy access.

In all my travels throughout north america I have personally found truckers to be just like anyone else trying to make a living. Since I am retired I always give them the right of way and allow them to do their business first.

Most have said that they would like to do what I am doing one day once they retire and most of them have commented on my rig.

Quote:
It is the commercial trucking industry and those dedicated drivers that deliver our products all over the country. Without them your costs for those products would be out of sight and unaffordable.
Dr4Film ----- Richard
Totally agree Richard! Yes, there are a few bad apples, but most of them are hard-working folks that provide a very important service to our country!

It's unbelievable how many trucks are on the road! Last time we went to Birmingham, AL, I counted over 400 semis in the 60 miles between Tuscaloosa and Birmingham, and that was only the ones in the opposite lane!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 04:36 PM   #218

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Rainy Day Entertainment

Being fresh full timers since 4/12 and only 16K miles down the road I have to admit that in reading the 217 posts so far, I've not been as completely entertained since we cut the DirectTV string.
OP's point 6 says it all.
Old 08-10-2016, 04:49 PM   #219

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post

Oh please -
Old 08-10-2016, 04:54 PM   #220
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Oh please -

Does that mean that you disagree with Richard's statement?
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 04:55 PM   #221

Winnebago Owners Club
Thought about trying to find the most economical fuel not at a truck stop.

Service station: drive off the freeway into town. Try to get into the access but there is a car just in the way. Wait for them to move. Finally they move but someone has gone around me and jumped onto the pump. Pull up behind them and wait while they get their fuel and go into the convenience store to get a drink. And wait. Finally able to pull up. Fuel and now someone has pulled into the parking so I cannot get out. Wait until they get their smokes and a drink and move out of the way. Still too tight so have to unhook the toad. Finally get out of the service station and drive back to the freeway.

Truck stop. Exit freeway and pull into truckers line. Truck ahead fuels and pulls ahead. Pull up and fuel. Pull up and fill DEF. Pull ahead so the guy behind can get to the pump. Go into the store to get a receipt. Drive ahead and take entrance to freeway.

Difference = PRICELESS
Old 08-10-2016, 05:03 PM   #222

Newmar Owners Club
As said before, I don't have to price shop for fuel, fuel cost is the least of the whole picture. Good planning years back I guess.........I fuel when I need it and what ever is the easiest and convenient, in my travels.........and if I desire Lobster and Clam's for dinner........well........that is what I have.
Old 08-10-2016, 05:20 PM   #223

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
Does that mean that you disagree with Richard's statement?
I don't agree or disagree- I just think the statement is a little rah-rah. The world and economy doesn't revolve around truckers anymore than the railroad or airlines or dock workers or UPS drivers or any other transportation industry you want to pick that has workers show up to get a paycheck. The dedication probably ends about right there.
Old 08-10-2016, 06:35 PM   #224

Quote:
I don't agree or disagree- I just think the statement is a little rah-rah. The world and economy doesn't revolve around truckers anymore than the railroad or airlines or dock workers or UPS drivers or any other transportation industry you want to pick that has workers show up to get a paycheck. The dedication probably ends about right there.
If you don't agree or disagree, how do you think all those businesses with shelves full of product waiting for you to purchase, get that product? I can't imagine what those products would cost or how they would get there without the trucking industry. Maybe you could enlighten us.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote