Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-11-2016, 04:35 PM   #253
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
Gosh, are we really supposed to leave the engine running while fueling up?????

But, what if the concrete is dirty?

Somehow I get the idea you're just trying to start something!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-11-2016, 04:53 PM   #254

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atom Ant View Post
RR's are NOT running at capacity - in fact they are laying off in big numbers because of the coal being shut down. The RR is a huge infrastructure that is well underused because of the price of oil being low.
Somehow hauling vegetables or clothing in a coal car seems to be counter to what I would accept. Much of the coal is regional. Lots of trains hauling oil, not enough grain cars, grain cars slow to get to terminals?

If one were to add more or faster trains to the traffic load the current infrastructure (especially mainlines) would likely have to be upgraded or rebuilt to add redundancy to maintain reliability.

Old 08-11-2016, 06:04 PM   #255

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
Somehow hauling vegetables or clothing in a coal car seems to be counter to what I would accept. Much of the coal is regional. Lots of trains hauling oil, not enough grain cars, grain cars slow to get to terminals?

If one were to add more or faster trains to the traffic load the current infrastructure (especially mainlines) would likely have to be upgraded or rebuilt to add redundancy to maintain reliability.
Well I would certainly hope you didn't think I implied the RR should haul vegetables in a coal car - but I really don't want to contribute any more to the topic- Read for yourself, just google railroad layoffs and you'll see its coal (not regional - its coast to coast for export), oil, grain, cargo containers, all. I don't think there is much over the road trucking does that can't be supplemented by rail, and it would sure reduce the impact on our ailing highways.
Old 08-11-2016, 07:27 PM   #256

I fuel wherever and whenever I want fuel. The only limiting factors being access and my driving skill. Simple and no big deal. Sometimes an adventure, but experience improves my skill level. Never skip a chance to learn. Start looking to fill up at half a tank and using "Gas Buddy" gives me lots of choices. Part of the package.

Doing everything I can to wear out my new tires before they "Time out" (worked great with my last set!). Lot's of roads in the US, Canada and Mexico.
Old 08-11-2016, 11:32 PM   #257

“I fuel wherever and whenever I want fuel. The only limiting factors being access and my driving skill. Simple and no big deal. Sometimes an adventure, but experience improves my skill level. Never skip a chance to learn. Start looking to fill up at half a tank and using "Gas Buddy" gives me lots of choices. Part of the package.

Doing everything I can to wear out my new tires before they "Time out" (worked great with my last set!). Lot's of roads in the US, Canada and Mexico.”

The problem with this is, if everyone follow that line of thinking certain individuals here would have nothing to complain about.
Where’s the entertainment value in that? Oh,,, my bad, we’re supposed to be enjoying an education here along with being entertained. Seems like we’ve dropped the ball on the education part.

DTW
Dtwallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 05:37 AM   #258

Quote:
Well I would certainly hope you didn't think I implied the RR should haul vegetables in a coal car - but I really don't want to contribute any more to the topic- Read for yourself, just google railroad layoffs and you'll see its coal (not regional - its coast to coast for export), oil, grain, cargo containers, all. I don't think there is much over the road trucking does that can't be supplemented by rail, and it would sure reduce the impact on our ailing highways.
IF RR's could haul the products trucks do, as cheap and/or with the service trucks provide, they would.

Companies are NOT in business to do things that provide poor service, at a high price.

Companies ship by truck because it is cheaper, faster, better service, less loss in transit, etc. RR's CANNOT compete with trucks in these areas, as trucks are much better.
Old 08-12-2016, 08:10 AM   #259

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
I did check a bit. It appears that the capacity of the railroad is limited by it's slowest engines. Capacity can be increased by faster, longer, heavier trains all of which require rail and infrastructure upgrades.

No argument that trains could/should bear the bulk of the heavy transport. We live near a transcontinental line and have multiple container trains pass by daily. Trucks strong point is they are able to go where ever there is a road way so can do local pickup and delivery. This means they have moved the railroad out of the less profitable routes and many miles of rail line have been removed.

If one could only wave a magic wand.
Old 08-12-2016, 09:43 AM   #260

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Yes, it's all about profit and greed. No foresight for the infrastructure costs we all pay to keep the public highways available for commerce profit.

Raise trucking taxes, and watch how fast RR becomes profitable.

Interesting how much I pay as a tax payer in Denver to add choo-choos to every highway and city street in town under the name of rapid or mass transit, and as they dig they find the old tracks that were there 100 years ago that we decided we didn't need because it was cheaper and more convenient to get a Ford, not to mention the special interest lobbyists behind the auto manufacturer and oil companies that made sure they put the nail in the coffin of almost every city's mass transit system created in the beginning of the last century

But this isn't about trains and trucks and government, my initial gripe was the volume of trucks and the crowded facilities, combined with the animosity I detected between me as an RV and truckers as to who owns the road. Maybe next trip I won't take I-80 and I'll have a different perspective.
Old 08-12-2016, 12:32 PM   #261

Just to throw a little perspective to the discussion. Yesterday I fueled at a pilot station. While fueling I was approached by a trucker he asked about mileage, engine etc very pleasant. There were 2 motor homes that had finished fueling before I started. Both had people make at least 2 trips inside for food, drink and god knows what while parked in front of the pumps. They were holding up truckers that had fueled behind them. I went in to pay and they were still there when we pulled out. Could this rudeness be why some RVer's are not well liked by truckers.

Al Sawyer
'05 Mt. Aire
Old 08-12-2016, 12:52 PM   #262

Monaco Owners Club
Ignorance and stupid go hand in hand!

They are the ones that should not be allowed in the truck lanes.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 08-12-2016, 01:27 PM   #263

It's interesting that this thread started about truck stops (which I still use and like) and veered off to a discussion about railroad VS. trucking, economics, etc. BTW, I've never seen any animosity from truckers. We refuel about mid-day when on the road. Reason - there are day drivers and night drivers who, not surprisingly, refuel in the morning or early evening. Want to avoid the lines and not be a PIA for working people, refuel and have lunch at noon.
Old 08-12-2016, 01:43 PM   #264

Quote:
Originally Posted by allynne View Post
Just to throw a little perspective to the discussion. Yesterday I fueled at a pilot station. While fueling I was approached by a trucker he asked about mileage, engine etc very pleasant. There were 2 motor homes that had finished fueling before I started. Both had people make at least 2 trips inside for food, drink and god knows what while parked in front of the pumps. They were holding up truckers that had fueled behind them. I went in to pay and they were still there when we pulled out. Could this rudeness be why some RVer's are not well liked by truckers.

Al Sawyer
'05 Mt. Aire
I was a trucker and believe me when I say that there are a lot a @ss h_les out there, truckers included. I got stuck behind far more truckers than rv ers. I would either get on the PA(truck) and announce what an inconsiderate PR1@K they were, have the cashier do it, or get on the radio and shame them(made me feel better). And confrontations did not bother me, let's just say I am a Big boy. Just amazed about people's overall rudeness in today's world. Some truckstops definitely better than others.
Old 08-12-2016, 06:34 PM   #265

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The big truck stops

This thread actually got interesting again for the last few dozen posts. Interesting perspectives.

Personally, I Love to see trucks on the roads. That's commerce, and that means things are going well somewhere. As to those who blame the trucks for the deterioration of the highways, --- well, IMO you're barking up the wrong tree. Long haul rigs have weighed 40 ton for a long, long time. The roads are falling apart because they have been inadequately designed and poorly constructed. It's just that simple.

I've been fascinated by complex logistics for years. Computers now allow almost any industry to source internationally and balance the cost and speed of transport against other cost savings. This means that each product or commodity will naturally find its way onto the most efficient transport for its current circumstance.
It also yields some interesting results. Example: The last few years of my career I flew a 747 freighter. [and yes, for all you Top Gun fans-- I have flown rubber dog$h1t out of HKG.]. On one of the contracts we operated we flew six nights per week from Bogota to Miami carrying fresh cut roses. 200,000 Lbs of roses, six nights a week. (I did the math one night and figured about three million roses per load.). And we weren't the only carrier. We'd get to MIA about 03-0400 and the flowers would be transshipped by plane or truck to more distant points. End result: you can buy a dozen roses Thursday afternoon in Atlanta or Washington that were fresh cut Wednesday morning in the mountains outside Bogota.

The lesson? Think about things before you complain about the price of something!

John & Diane, fulltiming since '12 02 DS, FL, Cat330, '04 Element NHSO RVM103
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 08:34 AM   #266

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
But this isn't about trains and trucks and government, my initial gripe was the volume of trucks and the crowded facilities, combined with the animosity I detected between me as an RV and truckers as to who owns the road. Maybe next trip I won't take I-80 and I'll have a different perspective.
We fuel regularly at Flying J. I have not really ever noticed outright animosity from any of the stops we have made there. I have detected what is consider some hesitation/reserve from the guys fueling beside me. Since I worked around trucks and heavy equipment during my career I love big iron.

A smile, say hello and a comment about their rig will break any reserve they may have and a conversation will ensue. Since we pull as stacker a lot of their questions will be about it and how it pulls.