Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-17-2016, 01:31 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHg View Post
Just got home from a long trip.......I've decided the absolute worst part of our travels is having to stop at the "large truck stops" for fuel. I absolutely detest Pilot, Flying J, Travel America, etc....they are a necessary evil that I wish I could avoid ! Okay, I'm through
Hhg
Diesel fuel for an RV can be purchased at any "filling station" that has accessible diesel pumps.
If you don't like "large truck stops" don't buy your fuel there.
Mel
'96 Safari, '07 ION toad

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-17-2016, 01:41 PM   #16

I use them exclusively as it's just so much easier in and out. Not to mention the faster filling.

Old 07-17-2016, 01:44 PM   #17

I have almost exclusively used the Truck stops since getting the DP. I find them much easier. Prices do tend to be a bit higher but I don't really have a problem with it as I know I am paying for convenience. My wife walks the dog and sometimes gets some snacks and we are rarely in a huge hurry. The truckers have usually been pretty good about getting going as for them time is money, and I try to be respectful of their time too by keeping my time to a minimum. I have not had a problem with the PFJ card working at the pump but at others I have to go inside.
My biggest problem at the Truck pumps is the rapid fuel delivery. I have a foaming problem due to some design issues in my tank/filler and the high flow accentuates it so getting "full" is really rare. I usually get to 3/4 full or 7/8 full. The PFJ RV islands with their "standard" flow pumps work best for me but not all of them have RV islands. However with a 150 gallon tank I am ok at 3/4-7/8 full as I like to stop every 4-6 hours to take a break (if not more frequently).
Old 07-17-2016, 02:20 PM   #18
HHg

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
Hhg
Diesel fuel for an RV can be purchased at any "filling station" that has accessible diesel pumps.
If you don't like "large truck stops" don't buy your fuel there.
Mel
'96 Safari, '07 ION toad
Come on Mel.....I know of only 1 regular station I can get into. The large truck stops are a necessary evil.....one I don't like!!
HHg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 02:30 PM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
"Big Truck Stops"

Yes, I'm very aware they do allow easy access.....I've HAD to use them for many years and I do appreciate the easy in and easy out. Yes, I do have the Good Sam membership card for the discounts and supposed pay at the pump.

My reasons:

1. It's a given that I cannot get my 40+ foot Phaeton, plus my tow car in anything else.

2. It's a given in most stops that I'm going to have wait in line to even get to a pump.

3. It's a given (even with my Good Sam membership card) that my wife will be required to go inside to pay.

4. It's a given that I'll pay between .25 to .35 cents more per gallon of diesel

5. It's a given that the concrete will be so covered in diesel, I'll track it back in the coach

6. There's going to be a good chance that the trucker in front of me (after he pulls up to the yellow line) will go back into the store and order food, etc....that will keep me pinned in even after I'm through filling up. When I finally walk up to his truck to ask him to please move, nasty words and threats will be exchanged.

Those are the main reasons.....several other minor reasons I won't go in to.

Thanks !!
Hhg
Ain't that the truth.

I found the grounds to be so disgusting that I actually had a pair of "truck stop" shoes that lived in the stairs.... along with a bottle of lysol... before stepping out, i'd put on the shoes, and i'd take them right back off on the steps and lysol the soles and shove them in the steps.

Diesel is one thing, but then you see bubba in front of you hack a big lugi on the ground at the pump, or pour out his dip cup... i've seen barf, food chunks, and other disgusting things... not to mention how disgusting the floor inside the store is...

If the wife wanted to walk the dogs I'd drop her off in the other end of the lot, and pick her up on the other side.
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
2005 Fleetwood Revolution
'12 Chevy 2500HD
'15 Airstream International Signature 27FB
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 02:48 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasma800 View Post

Diesel is one thing, but then you see bubba in front of you hack a big lugi on the ground at the pump, or pour out his dip cup...
As the Mother Superior told the novice-- "Now Sister, those are just plain spoken working men who call a spade a spade"

"Oh no, Mother Superior, they call it a *#%*in' shovel."
Old 07-17-2016, 03:01 PM   #21

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by plasma800 View Post
Ain't that the truth.

I found the grounds to be so disgusting that I actually had a pair of "truck stop" shoes that lived in the stairs.... along with a bottle of lysol... before stepping out, i'd put on the shoes, and i'd take them right back off on the steps and lysol the soles and shove them in the steps.

Diesel is one thing, but then you see bubba in front of you hack a big lugi on the ground at the pump, or pour out his dip cup... i've seen barf, food chunks, and other disgusting things... not to mention how disgusting the floor inside the store is...

If the wife wanted to walk the dogs I'd drop her off in the other end of the lot, and pick her up on the other side.
I haven't found that at all in my travels. Might not be clean enough to eat off of but not that bad. "Bubba" is the one that brings you most everything you use. There are good one and some that are not so good but but not everyone is bad. I have run into dirty things at gas stations also during my travels.
Old 07-17-2016, 03:05 PM   #22

Quote:
"Big Truck Stops"

Yes, I'm very aware they do allow easy access.....I've HAD to use them for many years and I do appreciate the easy in and easy out. Yes, I do have the Good Sam membership card for the discounts and supposed pay at the pump.

My reasons:

1. It's a given that I cannot get my 40+ foot Phaeton, plus my tow car in anything else.

2. It's a given in most stops that I'm going to have wait in line to even get to a pump.

3. It's a given (even with my Good Sam membership card) that my wife will be required to go inside to pay.

4. It's a given that I'll pay between .25 to .35 cents more per gallon of diesel

5. It's a given that the concrete will be so covered in diesel, I'll track it back in the coach

6. There's going to be a good chance that the trucker in front of me (after he pulls up to the yellow line) will go back into the store and order food, etc....that will keep me pinned in even after I'm through filling up. When I finally walk up to his truck to ask him to please move, nasty words and threats will be exchanged.

Those are the main reasons.....several other minor reasons I won't go in to.

Thanks !!
Hhg
I've generally found diesel at the truck stops to only be a bit more than at the regular station, a difference that is often mostly negated when I pay with cash. Beyond that, I prefer the truck stops over regular gas stations. I've never had to wait in some long line. If it looks busy I just move on. I've never had some trucker just pull in front of the pump and park indefinitely. They're usually pretty good about moving on and parking, or just running inside quickly and then moving; often gone before I can pay, fuel up, and wash my windshield. I've never seen this mythical "20-30 cent" difference in price that you're seeing.

I have experienced getting blocked in at a regular gas station. Having to wait for someone who parked at the pump and decided to go inside and get dinner. Being surrounded by cars and unable to move. Having people race in front of me as I'm pulling up to a pump. I avoid regular stations unless there are no truck stops or there is very clear ingress/egress and not too much traffic.
Old 07-17-2016, 03:06 PM   #23

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by budwilson View Post
I haven't found that at all in my travels. Might not be clean enough to eat off of but not that bad. "Bubba" is the one that brings you most everything you use. There are good one and some that are not so good but but not everyone is bad. I have run into dirty things at gas stations also during my travels.
Hey I didn't say I didn't appreciate that bubba does his job... I just said I don't enjoy stepping in his dip spit... and then to imagine how many dirty shoes track who knows what into the store...

But I'm like that with any shoes and most places... even just going into a public bathroom warrants lysol on the soles...
'12 Chevy 2500HD
Old 07-17-2016, 03:07 PM   #24

The Big Stops aren't my favorite but the roof over the island isn't 11 feet off the ground !!
Old 07-17-2016, 03:08 PM   #25

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scatterbrain View Post
I've generally found diesel at the truck stops to only be a bit more than at the regular station, a difference that is often mostly negated when I pay with cash. Beyond that, I prefer the truck stops over regular gas stations. I've never had to wait in some long line. If it looks busy I just move on. I've never had some trucker just pull in front of the pump and park indefinitely. They're usually pretty good about moving on and parking, or just running inside quickly and then moving; often gone before I can pay, fuel up, and wash my windshield. I've never seen this mythical "20-30 cent" difference in price that you're seeing.

I have experienced getting blocked in at a regular gas station. Having to wait for someone who parked at the pump and decided to go inside and get dinner. Being surrounded by cars and unable to move. Having people race in front of me as I'm pulling up to a pump. I avoid regular stations unless there are no truck stops or there is very clear ingress/egress and not too much traffic.
I've certainly been "pinned in" but we just used it as an opp to eat some lunch, take a breather... that part never bothered me much... we just planned that fuel stops could take some time.

Loved the high speed pumps though... with gloves on anyway...
'12 Chevy 2500HD
Old 07-17-2016, 03:17 PM   #26
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I prefer to find Wal-Marts or Kroger stores with fuel pumps instead of truck stops. Yes, I have to wait for the end pumps to clear as those are the only ones I can get into! I carry some of the small florescent orange rubber cones and use those to "block" the pumps until I can pull in!

As others have said, the truck stop pump area is frequently covered with spilled diesel, and then the problem of getting blocked in by a trucker who's pulled forward and gone into the building!

Another reason is that I use the PenFed Cash Rewards credit card that gives me a 5% cash rebate on all my fuel purchases. In order to get use that card I have to pay at the pump. I think that most, if not all, truck stops will not take standard credit cards at the pump.

For those using Flying J cards, what is your total savings per gallon?

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 03:22 PM   #27

Fleetwood Owners Club
Let me PC that statement for you

I didn't mean to indicate that all truck drivers are "bubbas".... but some certainly are...
'12 Chevy 2500HD
Old 07-17-2016, 03:33 PM   #28

If we see trucks at pumps set aside for them, we'll stop. Otherwise, if it's just a regular fueling station, it isn't going to happen. We like the ease and the space. It didn't take us long to realize this was easier for us. Plus, they'll have the long lanes so we can pull over after fueling and take care of whatever else we need to do..eat, potty break, dog, etc.