Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 07-17-2016, 04:33 PM   #29
Senior Member
 
Sweetbriar's Avatar
 
Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,579
As a gas coach owner I long for the day to get away from the four wheelers and the chaos around gasoline pump islands. Was filling up at a Pilot in western Virginia two days ago and pulled in behind some knuckle dragger in a small moving truck and waited, and waited, and waited, and waited. Had enough time to clean two weeks worth of bugs off the wind shield before the driver finally showed back up with a bag of food that he dropped off in the truck then walked away to talk with his buddy filling up in the diesel lanes and I waited and waited and waited,,,,,. Want to trade?
__________________

__________________
Sweetbriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-17-2016, 04:47 PM   #30
Senior Member
 
edgray's Avatar


 
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Madison, MS
Posts: 7,527
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scatterbrain View Post
I've generally found diesel at the truck stops to only be a bit more than at the regular station, a difference that is often mostly negated when I pay with cash. Beyond that, I prefer the truck stops over regular gas stations......I've never seen this mythical "20-30 cent" difference in price that you're seeing......
.

Last weekend all the name brand TS were charging $2.469 per gallon for CC purchases along I-20 from Dallas to Jackson, MS. Sam's club was $1.699 per gallon. 77 cents is a lot more than 20-30 cent difference. "Most" Sam's diesel pumps are on the outside lanes of their stations and I think saving over 50 bucks on a fill up is "worth" a Few extra minutes of my time. No, I don't work for Sam's. I am unemployable. 😇
__________________

__________________
2016 EC Aspire 42RBQ / 2014 CR-V
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 04:57 PM   #31
Senior Member
 
twojayhawks's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Lenexa KS
Posts: 749
I don't much care for it either. Loud, dirty, sometimes standing in diesel, etc. However I dislike it less since switching to the FJ/Pilot card that lets me pay at the pump. A larger fuel tank was very important to me for less fuel stops. I wouldn't have minded even larger than 150 gal.
__________________
Bill & Kelli 2015 Dutch Star 4366
2002 Safari Zanzibar 3906
1995 Fleetwood Bounder 36JD
twojayhawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 04:59 PM   #32
Senior Member
 
richs050's Avatar
 
National RV Owners Club
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 102
Just wondering, can you get Gas and/or Diesel in the truck lanes?? I would like to know for our next trip. Thanks
Richard
__________________
2001 National Surf Side 3311, Ford F-53 Chassis, 2013 Honda CR-V, Roadmaster Falcon All Terrain Tow bar. Magalia, CA, iRV2 Supporter, Member FMCA
richs050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 05:09 PM   #33
Senior Member/RVM #90
 
MSHappyCampers's Avatar


 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Columbus, MS
Posts: 25,816
Quote:
Originally Posted by richs050 View Post
Just wondering, can you get Gas and/or Diesel in the truck lanes?? I would like to know for our next trip. Thanks
Richard

I've never seen gas available in the truck lanes!
__________________
Joe & Annette

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 05:11 PM   #34
Senior Member
 
Scatterbrain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Yucca Valley, Ca.
Posts: 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by edgray View Post
Last weekend all the name brand TS were charging $2.469 per gallon for CC purchases along I-20 from Dallas to Jackson, MS. Sam's club was $1.699 per gallon. 77 cents is a lot more than 20-30 cent difference. "Most" Sam's diesel pumps are on the outside lanes of their stations and I think saving over 50 bucks on a fill up is "worth" a Few extra minutes of my time. No, I don't work for Sam's. I am unemployable. 😇
That must be a regional thing as I've never seen that, either on the eastern seaboard when I lived in Va and regularly drove from Va to Fl, or here in Ca, where the cheapest diesel is often the Pilot at the bottom of the hill from me. Here we have to contend with the additional OTR fee for truckers at the truck stops, but when I go inside to pay and specify that I'm in an RV the price drops. It could just be the "cash" discount though, as I prefer to pay in cash.
__________________
Scatterbrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 05:13 PM   #35
Senior Member
 
skypilot_1's Avatar
 
Tiffin Owners Club
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Summer in The Ozarks
Posts: 768
We have been using Speedway diesel fuel stops when we can. Most are new and smaller then FJ & P with four lanes. Generally 20 cents cheaper then FJ/P and cash/credit price same. We have a PenFed credit card and get 5 pts per dollar. Its adds up on long trips.
__________________
Ret. Military/Corporate Pilot
Key West Snowbirds
"Age is an issue of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter"
skypilot_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 05:16 PM   #36
Senior Member/RVM #90
 
MSHappyCampers's Avatar


 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Columbus, MS
Posts: 25,816
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scatterbrain View Post
That must be a regional thing as I've never seen that, either on the eastern seaboard when I lived in Va and regularly drove from Va to Fl, or here in Ca, where the cheapest diesel is often the Pilot at the bottom of the hill from me. Here we have to contend with the additional OTR fee for truckers at the truck stops, but when I go inside to pay and specify that I'm in an RV the price drops. It could just be the "cash" discount though, as I prefer to pay in cash.

What's that "cash" stuff? I didn't know they still made it!

We put everything we buy on credit cards and pay them off each month, getting from 1% to 5% rebates, depending on what we're buying. We get 5% on fuel, 3% on restaurants, and 1% on everything else. It sure adds up in a year's time!
__________________
Joe & Annette

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 05:17 PM   #37
Senior Member
 
Thunderfoot's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Texas Hill Country
Posts: 474
Quote:
Originally Posted by richs050 View Post
Just wondering, can you get Gas and/or Diesel in the truck lanes?? I would like to know for our next trip. Thanks
Richard
As a general rule, you will find diesel only in the truck lanes...
__________________
'98 Signature 42' Classic Suite purchased July 2000
Toads: (4 down) Jeep Grand Cherokee, Chevy 2500HD 4x4, or Scout Terra
Trailers: 28' HRC Stacker, 24' Look; contents vary per trip
Thunderfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 05:20 PM   #38
Senior Member
 
Scatterbrain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Yucca Valley, Ca.
Posts: 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
What's that "cash" stuff? I didn't know they still made it!

We put everything we buy on credit cards and pay them off each month, getting from 1% to 5% rebates, depending on what we're buying. We get 5% on fuel, 3% on restaurants, and 1% on everything else. It sure adds up in a year's time!
The discount offered at the pump for diesel when paying cash is greater than the value of the points earned on my card. It's one of the few reasons we keep cash around these day. That and paying for our kids piano lessons.
__________________
Scatterbrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 05:22 PM   #39
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Lake Havasu City, AZ & Plover, WI
Posts: 1,656
I must be different than most. I enjoy the big truck stops. Our motorhome with trailer is longer than all but the double and triple bottom rigs. I don't mind the oily concrete. It's a lot better than the calf pens I had to clean as a teenager. I like the rapid fill the high volume pumps provide and enjoy talking to the truckers when they ask what's in the trailer. I don't pay much attention the fuel price, as it's a small part of the total cost of owning and enjoying the lifestyle. If I have to wait for the guy in front, so be it. He's making his living and I'm on vacation.
__________________
2013 43 QGP Allegro Bus
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 05:27 PM   #40
Senior Member
 
Thunderfoot's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Texas Hill Country
Posts: 474
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
I must be different than most. I enjoy the big truck stops. Our motorhome with trailer is longer than all but the double and triple bottom rigs. I don't mind the oily concrete. It's a lot better than the calf pens I had to clean as a teenager. I like the rapid fill the high volume pumps provide and enjoy talking to the truckers when they ask what's in the trailer. I don't pay much attention the fuel price, as it's a small part of the total cost of owning and enjoying the lifestyle. If I have to wait for the guy in front, so be it. He's making his living and I'm on vacation.
__________________
'98 Signature 42' Classic Suite purchased July 2000
Toads: (4 down) Jeep Grand Cherokee, Chevy 2500HD 4x4, or Scout Terra
Trailers: 28' HRC Stacker, 24' Look; contents vary per trip
Thunderfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 05:27 PM   #41
Senior Member/RVM #90
 
MSHappyCampers's Avatar


 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Columbus, MS
Posts: 25,816
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
I must be different than most. I enjoy the big truck stops. Our motorhome with trailer is longer than all but the double and triple bottom rigs. I don't mind the oily concrete. It's a lot better than the calf pens I had to clean as a teenager. I like the rapid fill the high volume pumps provide and enjoy talking to the truckers when they ask what's in the trailer. I don't pay much attention the fuel price, as it's a small part of the total cost of owning and enjoying the lifestyle. If I have to wait for the guy in front, so be it. He's making his living and I'm on vacation.

Good attitude! We should all be more like that!
__________________
Joe & Annette

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 05:36 PM   #42
Senior Member
 
Rich-n-Linda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 884
I use Flying J or Pilot 100% for my fuel. It has always been a pleasant experience and I have NEVER had to go inside to pay. I have the Pilot/Flying J RV Plus Charge Card. Pay at the pump and save at least 6 cents per gallon.
__________________

__________________
Rich-n-Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Low bridge/rest stops/trk stops for US wb7auk Just Conversation 10 03-03-2014 06:38 AM
Fueling at Truck stops and "Mini-Marts" Tincup Class A Motorhome Discussions 44 03-26-2011 03:02 AM
diesel truck stops pahrump? Techie Navigation, Routes & Roads 3 06-24-2006 07:54 AM
I've been lost in password land. Big truck for big rig. Rhonda in NC Toy Haulers Discussion 41 08-04-2005 01:57 AM
Fuel Card for Truck Stops Jack Wilkinson iRV2.com General Discussion 11 03-08-2005 12:21 PM

» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:35 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.