Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-17-2016, 03:33 PM   #29

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
As a gas coach owner I long for the day to get away from the four wheelers and the chaos around gasoline pump islands. Was filling up at a Pilot in western Virginia two days ago and pulled in behind some knuckle dragger in a small moving truck and waited, and waited, and waited, and waited. Had enough time to clean two weeks worth of bugs off the wind shield before the driver finally showed back up with a bag of food that he dropped off in the truck then walked away to talk with his buddy filling up in the diesel lanes and I waited and waited and waited,,,,,. Want to trade?
Sweetbriar is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-17-2016, 03:47 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scatterbrain View Post
I've generally found diesel at the truck stops to only be a bit more than at the regular station, a difference that is often mostly negated when I pay with cash. Beyond that, I prefer the truck stops over regular gas stations......I've never seen this mythical "20-30 cent" difference in price that you're seeing......

Last weekend all the name brand TS were charging $2.469 per gallon for CC purchases along I-20 from Dallas to Jackson, MS. Sam's club was $1.699 per gallon. 77 cents is a lot more than 20-30 cent difference. "Most" Sam's diesel pumps are on the outside lanes of their stations and I think saving over 50 bucks on a fill up is "worth" a Few extra minutes of my time. No, I don't work for Sam's. I am unemployable. 😇
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 03:57 PM   #31

I don't much care for it either. Loud, dirty, sometimes standing in diesel, etc. However I dislike it less since switching to the FJ/Pilot card that lets me pay at the pump. A larger fuel tank was very important to me for less fuel stops. I wouldn't have minded even larger than 150 gal.
twojayhawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 03:59 PM   #32

National RV Owners Club
Just wondering, can you get Gas and/or Diesel in the truck lanes?? I would like to know for our next trip. Thanks
Richard
Old 07-17-2016, 04:09 PM   #33
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by richs050 View Post
Just wondering, can you get Gas and/or Diesel in the truck lanes?? I would like to know for our next trip. Thanks
Richard

I've never seen gas available in the truck lanes!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 04:11 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgray View Post
Last weekend all the name brand TS were charging $2.469 per gallon for CC purchases along I-20 from Dallas to Jackson, MS. Sam's club was $1.699 per gallon. 77 cents is a lot more than 20-30 cent difference. "Most" Sam's diesel pumps are on the outside lanes of their stations and I think saving over 50 bucks on a fill up is "worth" a Few extra minutes of my time. No, I don't work for Sam's. I am unemployable. 😇
That must be a regional thing as I've never seen that, either on the eastern seaboard when I lived in Va and regularly drove from Va to Fl, or here in Ca, where the cheapest diesel is often the Pilot at the bottom of the hill from me. Here we have to contend with the additional OTR fee for truckers at the truck stops, but when I go inside to pay and specify that I'm in an RV the price drops. It could just be the "cash" discount though, as I prefer to pay in cash.
Scatterbrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 04:13 PM   #35

Tiffin Owners Club
We have been using Speedway diesel fuel stops when we can. Most are new and smaller then FJ & P with four lanes. Generally 20 cents cheaper then FJ/P and cash/credit price same. We have a PenFed credit card and get 5 pts per dollar. Its adds up on long trips.
skypilot_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 04:16 PM   #36
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scatterbrain View Post
That must be a regional thing as I've never seen that, either on the eastern seaboard when I lived in Va and regularly drove from Va to Fl, or here in Ca, where the cheapest diesel is often the Pilot at the bottom of the hill from me. Here we have to contend with the additional OTR fee for truckers at the truck stops, but when I go inside to pay and specify that I'm in an RV the price drops. It could just be the "cash" discount though, as I prefer to pay in cash.

What's that "cash" stuff? I didn't know they still made it!

We put everything we buy on credit cards and pay them off each month, getting from 1% to 5% rebates, depending on what we're buying. We get 5% on fuel, 3% on restaurants, and 1% on everything else. It sure adds up in a year's time!
Old 07-17-2016, 04:17 PM   #37

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by richs050 View Post
Richard
As a general rule, you will find diesel only in the truck lanes...
Thunderfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 04:20 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
What's that "cash" stuff? I didn't know they still made it!

We put everything we buy on credit cards and pay them off each month, getting from 1% to 5% rebates, depending on what we're buying. We get 5% on fuel, 3% on restaurants, and 1% on everything else. It sure adds up in a year's time!
The discount offered at the pump for diesel when paying cash is greater than the value of the points earned on my card. It's one of the few reasons we keep cash around these day. That and paying for our kids piano lessons.
Scatterbrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 04:22 PM   #39

I must be different than most. I enjoy the big truck stops. Our motorhome with trailer is longer than all but the double and triple bottom rigs. I don't mind the oily concrete. It's a lot better than the calf pens I had to clean as a teenager. I like the rapid fill the high volume pumps provide and enjoy talking to the truckers when they ask what's in the trailer. I don't pay much attention the fuel price, as it's a small part of the total cost of owning and enjoying the lifestyle. If I have to wait for the guy in front, so be it. He's making his living and I'm on vacation.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 04:27 PM   #40

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
I must be different than most. I enjoy the big truck stops. Our motorhome with trailer is longer than all but the double and triple bottom rigs. I don't mind the oily concrete. It's a lot better than the calf pens I had to clean as a teenager. I like the rapid fill the high volume pumps provide and enjoy talking to the truckers when they ask what's in the trailer. I don't pay much attention the fuel price, as it's a small part of the total cost of owning and enjoying the lifestyle. If I have to wait for the guy in front, so be it. He's making his living and I'm on vacation.
Thunderfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 04:27 PM   #41
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post

Good attitude! We should all be more like that!
Old 07-17-2016, 04:36 PM   #42

I use Flying J or Pilot 100% for my fuel. It has always been a pleasant experience and I have NEVER had to go inside to pay. I have the Pilot/Flying J RV Plus Charge Card. Pay at the pump and save at least 6 cents per gallon.
Rich-n-Linda is offline   Reply With Quote