Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 07-17-2016, 04:39 PM   #43
Monaco Owners Club
I use whatever is cheaper and more convenient at the time. Have been in both really good and really bad truck stops and gas stations. There are going to be bad apples everywhere, but also lots of good ones out there. Don't sweat the small stuff.

Spaceball is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-17-2016, 04:43 PM   #44
I use FJ and would never go anywhere other than the big truck stops. I want those places that move thousands of gallons of diesel fuel daily. It's my best chance of always getting clean, fresh fuel and I'll pay a premium for it rather than saving a dime and being stuck on the side of the interstate waiting for a tow because of dirty fuel.

2013 HR 43DFT RR10R
All Electric FWS-Tag
FMCA 451687 Monaco Int.
Gdawgs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 04:47 PM   #45

Holiday Rambler Owners Club

Paper booties and rubber gloves along with a Flying J discount card and I rarely go inside. Grab a paper towell on the way out to clean the filler and cover.

Think I have had to wait a few minutes on ocassion with drivers going inside. Gives me time to stretch.
Myron & Deborah
08 HR Endeavor 40 SKQ
2012 Ford Edge Limited FWD 3.5L
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 04:49 PM   #46

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
I only use truck stops. When I need 50 to 80 gallons of fuel, the large high volume nozzles at the truck stops are the only way to go.

I don't worry about the mess on the ground, we don't wear our shoes past the steps in the MH.

Not to mention much easier to navigate the big wide open lanes.

Plus they have the long handled windshield cleaner.
US Navy Vet, Liberty Tree Member of Oath Keepers, NRA & VFW Life Member, Alaska EMT.
2009 Safari Cheetah 40 SKQ
2009 Winnebago Chalet 231CR
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 05:12 PM   #47
Does it make any difference from the time and ease of in and out if your a 38 to 40' gasser or diesel?
WyoFree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 06:15 PM   #48
Entegra Owners Club

I know about the Pilot/Flying J credit card, but I just received an update to my MyPilot app on the iPhone. I have not done much with it [I'm motorhome-less right now], but it looks like it can actually tell which fuel island you are in and send you a verification code to put into the pump. From there you fill up. No going into the store first...

Don't know if you have to use their credit card or one of your other cards....

Anyone else have this app and used it??

PS: FWIW, I used Pilot/Flying J almost exclusively on our road trip last year. Can't imagine not using the truck lanes in the future.
2012 Entegra Anthem 42RBQ
2016 Jeep Cherokee
Dr. Q is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 06:20 PM   #49
Truck stops have fresher fuel......Get bad fuel and see what it cost you.
Renegade Garage Unit
Ed S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 06:20 PM   #50
Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Most of the truck stops I go to are not that busy when I fill up and are reasonably clean.
Dennis and Katherine
2000 Monaco Dynasty
barmcd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 06:39 PM   #51
OP: You stated you've only found ONE (1) regular station you can fit...we traveled mostly secondary highways so used regular stations all the time with no problem.

Do you just RV within a four-square little town?
Full-timed for 16 Years
. . . Back in S&B Again
Traveled in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Diesel
twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 07:08 PM   #52
"Formerly Diplomat Don"
Newmar Owners Club
I've had a DP for over 12 years. With my last coach I was 62' long and now I'm 65' long. I use truck stops as a last resort. Modern stations have plenty of room for large vehicles.

I guess I see it differently. I feel comfortable maneuvering my coach into nice clean stations with fresh quality fuel and about .08 cents - .15 cents a gallon cheaper. I don't have to wait for some trucker who parked his truck and is now chatting with a friend or catching up on his log book, walking in oil covered kitty liter, waiting for the RVer who is shopping or the wife who is walking the dog and has gotten side tracked, watching some guy trying to figure out how to use his discount card to save .03 cents a gallon, or the same guy who now has to go inside and wait in line for 15 minutes.

I just use my PenFed card at the pump and receive my 5% off of fuel, not .05 cents, but 5%.

I don't see fueling as a big issue, I actually enjoy getting out to stretch and do a quick walk around the coach and toad while the pump is running. I'm retired and not in a hurry, but I do hate waiting behind inconsiderate people.
Don & Mary
2014 Newmar Dutch Star - All Electric - 450 ISL
2016 GMC Canyon 4WD Crew Cab
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 07:46 PM   #53
Winnebago Owners Club
I'm in the same camp as Don. We routinely use gas stations for diesel --and also use our PenFed card. And this is going to sound stupid ...we actually will unhook the toad if it's a tight situation as I know we can just about maneuver in and out of any tight situation without the toad as you can back up and jockey it out if necessary. We'll then re-hook ...not time consuming at all. I also do not mind the slower delivery rate.

I don't worry about "bad" fuel at a gas station that is relatively busy. I talked to a guy recently who works as an engineer at one of the refineries and he was saying that the chances of getting contaminated diesel is very rare nowadays ...much less than it was a few years back as there are newer and better filters being used now at the tanks and on the pumps. After all, I never worried much about where I bought diesel for my pickup with a Cummins ISB as long as it was at a relatively busy station. I probably wouldn't buy diesel at a rural station in the middle of nowhere it looked as if they may not have the turnover in their diesel unless it was an absolute emergency.
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 07:55 PM   #54
if I had a little DP I would not worry either
Renegade Garage Unit
Ed S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 08:51 PM   #55
Ok, I'll chip in also. I use exclusively the big truck stops. Prefer pilot/flying j (like their coffee), but gave also used loves and others with no problem. Only once in several years was I stuck behind someone who too overly long time. Most of the time have had a great experience chatting with the folks around me. They are from all over, great experiences to share!!
- 2012 Fleetwood Expedition 36M -
MN_Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 09:04 PM   #56

I don't stop anywhere except truck stops. They are easy in/out. I know the fuel is fresh. The hoses are bigger so it doesn't take me 1/2 just to fill up at a car pump. I also like that places like Pilot/Flying Js have long handled window cleaners and squeegees. There stores also have everything you might need or not need.
I have them as POIs on my GPS.

Tony & Ruth........... FMCA#F416727
Newmar Dutch Star 4320, Spartan MM Chassis, Cat C9, Jeep Grand Cherokee,with Hemi, hooked up with a Blue Ox Aventa LX, and Brake Buddy.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote