Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-17-2016, 10:31 PM   #57

Monaco Owners Club
NO I did not read all the posts on this thread, I'm tired and going to bed.

But!!

I use Gasbuddy to show me where the lowest prices are. I try to plan my stops ahead of time. While in route I look for the lowest diesel prices by area. Usually if the price is low at an exit all the stations will be at about that price. I will take the exit and decide to got left or right and then look for easy in an out. I will go to the best fill option based on price and entrance/exit options. I have no allegiance to a particular name, it's all about money.

No idea how much money I've saved but I'd say it is substantial.

I guess it's all about priorities, and my priority is to retain as much of my money as I can to travel yet another day.

jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-17-2016, 11:56 PM   #58

When I'm traveling I use any required stop as an opportunity to stretch my legs, drink some water and take a break from driving. I'm on vacation 24/7 anyhow so what's the problem.
Sounds like the real solution to your problem would be to get a smaller rig that you wouldn't need to take to the truck stops. I never complain about problems I inflict on myself. Some consider rubbing elbows with true big rig drivers as a chance to meet interesting people. Trying to come up with ways for you to be happy but having a hard time, sorry.

Old 07-18-2016, 12:08 AM   #59

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scatterbrain View Post
I've generally found diesel at the truck stops to only be a bit more than at the regular station, a difference that is often mostly negated when I pay with cash. Beyond that, I prefer the truck stops over regular gas stations. I've never had to wait in some long line. If it looks busy I just move on. I've never had some trucker just pull in front of the pump and park indefinitely. They're usually pretty good about moving on and parking, or just running inside quickly and then moving; often gone before I can pay, fuel up, and wash my windshield. I've never seen this mythical "20-30 cent" difference in price that you're seeing.

I have experienced getting blocked in at a regular gas station. Having to wait for someone who parked at the pump and decided to go inside and get dinner. Being surrounded by cars and unable to move. Having people race in front of me as I'm pulling up to a pump. I avoid regular stations unless there are no truck stops or there is very clear ingress/egress and not too much traffic.
I just traveled from Florida to Washington state in a 39ft MH plus toad. I rarely stopped at a FJ or Pilot because of their price...30 to 50 cents per gallon more than other stations....and I have never had a problem finding an alternative location.
Dick1142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 04:14 AM   #60

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
To the OP, Just my opinion, if you don't like something, change it! Now from your comments, I take it, you have had words with a trucker at one time or another? After all, you entered their world when you pulled into the "Truck" stop! I never minded fueling up next to a RV'r, and gave me a chance to talk with them, find out how they like their MH and such! But, bottom line is this, it is a "Truck Stop" and they are there for Truckers, not your 100 gal. sale! Most trucks put on 250 gals+ every time they stop, plus use the shops for oil changes, service, repairs, and the rest of the things they need to make sure you have the things you need when you go to the store or the restaurant! Sure, there are "Bubbas" as was mentioned, and some very uncouth truckers, but there are far more in the 4-Wheelers category that you will find in the regular stations that happen to sell diesel fuel!
Now, I am just saying, if I had just fueled up, 300+ gal's, and pulled forward, and went inside, to get my receipt, a cup of coffee from the store, and a burrito from Taco Bell, and came back out to my truck, and was pouring the coffee in my "to go" cup, and drawing a line in my log book as required by law to do, and you came up and knocked on my door, ask me with a attitude to pull the hell out of the way, I would just have smiled at you said sure, then I would have let you sit there behind me while I ate my burrito! Nah, I would not have done that, and would have moved out of the way quickly, if I saw I was holding someone up, MH or truck, but that is just me! Can't speak for any of the others out there!
The next thing is in the 35+ years of driving a truck, and owning them, I rarely fueled at Flying J and Pilot! Period! They were the by far the most filthy and poorly maintained Truck Stops out there! With that said, now in the MH, I still avoid them!
And like the others said, I use App's to see where the cheapest fuel is, and a lot of the time, it is a Sam's, WalMart, Kroger, and it is worth the wait, for sure!
As for tracking stuff into the MH after fueling, no different than taking the dog for a walk, or going shopping at the local WalMart, the shoes come off at the door, Period!
And I think, 09 Harley said it best! Rail!

09 Harley

When I'm traveling I use any required stop as an opportunity to stretch my legs, drink some water and take a break from driving. I'm on vacation 24/7 anyhow so what's the problem.
Sounds like the real solution to your problem would be to get a smaller rig that you wouldn't need to take to the truck stops. I never complain about problems I inflict on myself. Some consider rubbing elbows with true big rig drivers as a chance to meet interesting people. Trying to come up with ways for you to be happy but having a hard time, sorry.
Old 07-18-2016, 06:32 AM   #61

As I read some of these mostly derogatory statements, It makes me wonder, have we risen to such high and mighty positions in life that we are entitled to belittle people and places we believe are beneath us?
Bubba the knuckle dragger is just like all of us, heís working to provide for his family while we are on a permanent vacation.
Yes we worked hard to get what we have and we still work hard to preserve our precious belongings, but the world out there is not lined with a bed of roses just for us.
Truck stops operate 24/7, therefor the fuel islands are going to get dirty, oily and fuel is going to get spilled, fact of life. They do get cleaned but it doesnít stay that way for very long.
Truckers are on the road 24/7, bringing everything you have for your comfort or other needs. Some are dirty, some donít speak very well when you try to have a conversation with them.
But just think for a moment, do you ever wonder what they think of us? Do you care?
Not pointing fingers or directing this at any one person, just an observation.
Dtwallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 07:35 AM   #62

Fleetwood Owners Club
Carolina Campers
American Coach Owners Club
I use big truck fueling stations for the same reasons others have articulated here. Changing the tone a little bit...pulled into station,exited, spoke to the driver on my right, he ask if that was my wife he saw up front as we entered. Yes. I replied.He then ask if I wanted to trade my rig and wife for his big truck.. Didn't tell the wife until we were down the road!!! BTW we are both in our 70's Well one of us has to still look great.
Old 07-18-2016, 07:52 AM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa&susu View Post
I use big truck fueling stations for the same reasons others have articulated here. Changing the tone a little bit...pulled into station,exited, spoke to the driver on my right, he ask if that was my wife he saw up front as we entered. Yes. I replied.He then ask if I wanted to trade my rig and wife for his big truck.. Didn't tell the wife until we were down the road!!! BTW we are both in our 70's Well one of us has to still look great.

Yeah ... I'm afraid my wife might accept the trade.
Old 07-18-2016, 08:00 AM   #64

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtwallace View Post
As I read some of these mostly derogatory statements, It makes me wonder, have we risen to such high and mighty positions in life that we are entitled to belittle people and places we believe are beneath us?
Bubba the knuckle dragger is just like all of us, heís working to provide for his family while we are on a permanent vacation.
Yes we worked hard to get what we have and we still work hard to preserve our precious belongings, but the world out there is not lined with a bed of roses just for us.
Truck stops operate 24/7, therefor the fuel islands are going to get dirty, oily and fuel is going to get spilled, fact of life. They do get cleaned but it doesnít stay that way for very long.
Truckers are on the road 24/7, bringing everything you have for your comfort or other needs. Some are dirty, some donít speak very well when you try to have a conversation with them.
But just think for a moment, do you ever wonder what they think of us? Do you care?
Not pointing fingers or directing this at any one person, just an observation.

It is surprising how many complain about the price; fuel is way cheaper than it was a few years ago!! It may be a few cents higher than other places but it is easy to fill, I have never had a problem.
Yes, we have had some very dirty places and some very clean place too.
We put over 10,000 miles a year and the difference in price is a small dollar amount of the budget I do not worry about!
C&SL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 08:21 AM   #65
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
This is a subject that comes up on a regular basis, and usually with the same inconclusive results.

I use truck stops almost exclusively. That was just one of the perks of going diesel. I don't know where some are finding all those "modern stations" with easy in/out access for 65' of coach and toad, but I find they are rare indeed.

I have seen as much as a 30 cent per gallon difference, but it is rare. On another thread I did the math and concluded that if I always paid 30 cents per gallon more it might cost me an extra $22 per month, given our average 6 to 7k miles per year on the coach. I'll happily pay $22 per month to be able to pull off and right back on the highway with no concern as to whether we'll be able to get in and out of the station/pumps, or how long the fuel has been sitting in the bottom of the storage tank.

I've never had a bad experience with a trucker at a truck stop and I've never had to wait more than maybe 10 minutes for the truck that fueled ahead of me to pull out, that is if I even finished before they had already pulled out, which is not common. They don't want to feel the wrath of their fellow road warriors, nor would they want to be locked in. They'll typically move to the truck parking area if they are doing more than paying for fuel and buying a sandwich.

I have had to wait in line to get to the pumps, maybe 20 - 25% of the time, but I'm typically not on a tight schedule and I can't imagine I'd wait any less time to get to a pump at a "regular" station that I'd be able to get in and out of. I doubt my longest wait ever has been much more than 10 minutes, maybe 15.

Yes, the pavement can be dirty near the pump, but rarely near our door. I'll wipe my feet well before getting back in. If the entry matt starts to show stains I'll simply replace it with another $3 matt. That's it's function, to keep the coach floors clean.

If you have to go into the store to pay your bill you should consider getting one of the RV Plus cards. You can pump and go, no need to go inside, and the discount is slightly better.

As you said, fueling is necessary for us to continue on our journey and I, for one, find it much less stressful now that I no longer have to wonder if I'll be able to get into and then back out of a gas station.

While on this subject, I recently found an app that helps locate truck stops along your route, freeway or back roads (If on freeways I'll use the Pilot app). Truckers Path. Once I've got my route planned out I'll look for suitable stations along the route, double checking those identified with Google Earth before loading it into our GPS.
Wrangler Unlimited toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 08:32 AM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMonroe View Post
This is a subject that comes up on a regular basis, and usually with the same inconclusive results.

I use truck stops almost exclusively. That was just one of the perks of going diesel. I don't know where some are finding all those "modern stations" with easy in/out access for 65' of coach and toad, but I find they are rare indeed.

I have seen as much as a 30 cent per gallon difference, but it is rare. On another thread I did the math and concluded that if I always paid 30 cents per gallon more it might cost me an extra $22 per month, given our average 6 to 7k miles per year on the coach. I'll happily pay $22 per month to be able to pull off and right back on the highway with no concern as to whether we'll be able to get in and out of the station/pumps, or how long the fuel has been sitting in the bottom of the storage tank.

I've never had a bad experience with a trucker at a truck stop and I've never had to wait more than maybe 10 minutes for the truck that fueled ahead of me to pull out, that is if I even finished before they had already pulled out, which is not common. They don't want to feel the wrath of their fellow road warriors, nor would they want to be locked in. They'll typically move to the truck parking area if they are doing more than paying for fuel and buying a sandwich.

I have had to wait in line to get to the pumps, maybe 20 - 25% of the time, but I'm typically not on a tight schedule and I can't imagine I'd wait any less time to get to a pump at a "regular" station that I'd be able to get in and out of. I doubt my longest wait ever has been much more than 10 minutes, maybe 15.

Yes, the pavement can be dirty near the pump, but rarely near our door. I'll wipe my feet well before getting back in. If the entry matt starts to show stains I'll simply replace it with another $3 matt. That's it's function, to keep the coach floors clean.

If you have to go into the store to pay your bill you should consider getting one of the RV Plus cards. You can pump and go, no need to go inside, and the discount is slightly better.

As you said, fueling is necessary for us to continue on our journey and I, for one, find it much less stressful now that I no longer have to wonder if I'll be able to get into and then back out of a gas station.

Well said and matches my experiences
Old 07-18-2016, 08:35 AM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHg View Post
Just got home from a long trip.......I've decided the absolute worst part of our travels is having to stop at the "large truck stops" for fuel. I absolutely detest Pilot, Flying J, Travel America, etc....they are a necessary evil that I wish I could avoid ! Okay, I'm through

Hhg
You don't "HAVE" to stop at a Truck Stop!
Old 07-18-2016, 09:17 AM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
OP: You stated you've only found ONE (1) regular station you can fit...we traveled mostly secondary highways so used regular stations all the time with no problem.
Do you just RV within a four-square little town?
twogypsies
I was wondering about that too.

In the 20 years, (148k miles), I've owned my diesel powered coach I've used over 17,000 gallons of diesel fuel, (which means I've had to stop for fuel over 200 times).
The majority of those fill-ups where at truck stops but dozens, (40-50?), where at "regular" filling stations.

To Hhg, (the OP), I say:
It's OK to post a "rant"... but if you do don't expect everyone to agree with you".

Mel
'96 Safari
Old 07-18-2016, 09:28 AM   #69

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by HHg View Post
.......My reasons:

1. It's a given that I cannot get my 40+ foot Phaeton, plus my tow car in anything else.

2. It's a given in most stops that I'm going to have wait in line to even get to a pump.

3. It's a given (even with my Good Sam membership card) that my wife will be required to go inside to pay.

4. It's a given that I'll pay between .25 to .35 cents more per gallon of diesel

5. It's a given that the concrete will be so covered in diesel, I'll track it back in the coach

6. There's going to be a good chance that the trucker in front of me (after he pulls up to the yellow line) will go back into the store and order food, etc....that will keep me pinned in even after I'm through filling up. When I finally walk up to his truck to ask him to please move, nasty words and threats will be exchanged..............

Numbers 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5: Utter nonsense. The words "It's a given..." mean something, and should be used properly if you wish to frame a logical discussion. Each hypothesis you've put forth as a given is itself subject to the most vigorous argument and are, I believe, held to be false by most respondents.

Number 6: highly, highly unlikely, based on my own experiences and the experiences of the overwhelming preponderance of RVers on this forum and of those I've met.
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 09:42 AM   #70

Monaco Owners Club
I've got mixed emotions about fueling at big truck stops - and as a result I neither seek them out ... nor avoid them.

I've never had any issues with people at truck stops - and am happy to rub elbows with the truckers. They're working stiffs like me ... so I'm happy to try to stay out of their way and try to minimize any disruption my presence might have on them as they go about their business.

What I'm not crazy about at truck stops are the prices (since they tend to be a hair higher) ... and their unique payment requirements (not accepting regular Visa or MasterCard cards at the pump) but instead requiring you use one of the cards they issue to pay at the pump. I'm just not in a rush to add vendor specific credit cards to my portfolio - I carry two cards (one Visa, one MasterCard) - I don't really want more.

The other challenge with truck stops is that their layout is often larger than one can take in at a glance. Sure, the truckers coming thru usually know exactly where they're going, where to approach the pumps, etc. - but for me, it's virtually always my first time at a given truck stop. Way too often, when faced with a do I go left or do I go right decision upon entering large truck stops - I find myself picking the wrong one.

As a result - I use truck stops only when that the only good option available. I prefer using the newer stations at "Big" grocery chains and/or retailers. Given that I usually plan my fuel stops pretty well in advance - I can usually combine a fuel stop and a grocery stop and do ok.

SpaceNorman is offline   Reply With Quote