Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-20-2016, 08:52 AM   #113
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ownby View Post
You da man Joe. That is exactly what I was talking about.

I'm surprised that Harbor Freight doesn't have them!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-20-2016, 10:31 PM   #114

Quote:
Originally Posted by az99 View Post
My problem with the trucks stops is that too many of them are total ---- holes. Fuel spilled on the ground, pump nozzles leak, paper towels empty, more diesel on the ground...It is a necessary evil to have to use these places. I know they are fighting an uphill battle as too many people using the pumps are dirt balls that could care less about clean. Just look at their trucks.

I don't know what truck stops you're going into, but this is most definitely NOT my experience. I fuel at truck stops 100% of the time and have never tracked any grease or dirt into the coach.

I'm sure all hard-working truckers reading your post will appreciate being called "dirt balls."

Old 07-21-2016, 12:08 AM   #115

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Tried a TA tonight - read on pump it was 5-10% Biodiesel. I asked if that was all their pumps and they said yes, so I went to another place. Is that normal at truck stops? I thought It would be preferred not to run biodiesel?
Old 07-21-2016, 12:37 AM   #116

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atom Ant View Post
Tried a TA tonight - read on pump it was 5-10% Biodiesel. I asked if that was all their pumps and they said yes, so I went to another place. Is that normal at truck stops? I thought It would be preferred not to run biodiesel?
Meh, they ought to be able to handle it by now. Beyond that, depending on where you live it's likely a mandated issue, not a choice of the fuel station.
Old 07-21-2016, 05:40 AM   #117

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich-n-Linda View Post
I don't know what truck stops you're going into, but this is most definitely NOT my experience. I fuel at truck stops 100% of the time and have never tracked any grease or dirt into the coach.

I'm sure all hard-working truckers reading your post will appreciate being called "dirt balls."
Every Pilot or FJ along the 95 corridor from Fla. to NY or 81 from TN. to Pa.

And I did not say all truckers were dirtballs. Read the post.
Old 07-21-2016, 05:48 AM   #118

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
For those who are disgusted with the sanitary conditions at truck stops, I suggest that you buy your fuel somewhere else. Truck Stop fuel islands are by nature dirty. The thousands of trucks fueling there are bound to have minor leaks and there will be some spillage. Remember, they were not built to make an RVer feel all warm and fuzzy. They are there for the working men and women that haul our country's freight so we can conveniently purchase whatever we need or want. If the conditions are too much for you to handle, search out that nice clean place where you can fuel up without getting your shoes soiled. I consider the truck stops to be the Truckers World and I am there as a guest.
You forgot to add that this has been a paid advertisement by the Independent Truckers Org.

I consider truck stops to be a business open to the public selling fuel where I am the customer. As such I expect them to maintain their facilities. I am not asking to dine on the ground at the pump but I should not have to be wrapping rags around the nozzle to contain leaks and stepping around puddles of spilled diesel fuel.
Old 07-21-2016, 06:18 AM   #119

Newmar Owners Club
Wow...amazing what you can learn about fueling a diesel motorhome! To add to the discussion, let me add that:

1. The Cummins\Freightliner folkks suggested that we always use a high volume fuel entity...such as a truck stop. Does "fresher" fuel make a difference..I cannot answer that, but think Cummins knows a bit more than me.

2. The Tire Pass lane at Loves's is of benefit to me. I'm type A+ when it comes to accurate tire pressures and I find its well worth the $5.00. The fact that you can also fuel up at the same time is also a plus. I've also noticed that the Tire Pass lanes are a tad cleaner.
Old 07-21-2016, 07:04 AM   #120

Don't know about tire pass lanes. Haven't used Loves yet. How do they work? If you don't mind a novice asking.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 07-21-2016, 07:23 AM   #121

Quote:
Originally Posted by az99 View Post
You forgot to add that this has been a paid advertisement by the Independent Truckers Org.

I consider truck stops to be a business open to the public selling fuel where I am the customer. As such I expect them to maintain their facilities. I am not asking to dine on the ground at the pump but I should not have to be wrapping rags around the nozzle to contain leaks and stepping around puddles of spilled diesel fuel.
A simple solution to your TS sanitary problem is to just avoid them. Search out that clean fuel stop that is acceptable to you. Why continue to use the truck stops if you're unhappy there? I doubt they will care if you choose not to stop in.
Old 07-21-2016, 08:25 AM   #122

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Harriet View Post
Don't know about tire pass lanes. Haven't used Loves yet. How do they work? If you don't mind a novice asking.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Mike Harriet -

Tire Pass is an automatic tire pressure system the is offered a some (not all) Loves Truck Stops. Once establish your baseline pressures, they then affix a bar code to the inside of your coach door frame. When you get into the Tire Pass lane, air hoses are attached to each tire. The attendant uses hand held scanner..reads the code sticker and the tires are inflated to the exact pressures that you've set. Once completed, the attendant gives you print-out that you can keep.

Again, the Tire Pass lane is the first station at the truck stop making it the closest to the entrance.

NOTE: I walk around my bus with the attendant...just to be sure all is correct. Know in advance that you will not be dealing with a rocket scientist..so be patient.

Below is the link that you use to see more. Hope it helps...

https://www.loves.com/HomeLinks/Truc.../TIREPASS.aspx
Old 07-21-2016, 08:28 AM   #123

You should also note that it's the ITA, Independent Truckers Association and not Organization. Sorry, but I have never been an OTR trucker and never belonged to the ITA.
Old 07-21-2016, 08:34 AM   #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBelvedere View Post
Mike Harriet -

Tire Pass is an automatic tire pressure system the is offered a some (not all) Loves Truck Stops. Once establish your baseline pressures, they then affix a bar code to the inside of your coach door frame. When you get into the Tire Pass lane, air hoses are attached to each tire. The attendant uses hand held scanner..reads the code sticker and the tires are inflated to the exact pressures that you've set. Once completed, the attendant gives you print-out that you can keep.

Again, the Tire Pass lane is the first station at the truck stop making it the closest to the entrance.

NOTE: I walk around my bus with the attendant...just to be sure all is correct. Know in advance that you will not be dealing with a rocket scientist..so be patient.

Below is the link that you use to see more. Hope it helps...

https://www.loves.com/HomeLinks/Truc.../TIREPASS.aspx
How do you know what to set the pressure at when you are coming off of the road with heated tires and elevated pressures above the cold psi recommended from the inflation charts? My front tires with 115 psi cold pressure can be 138 psi when I come off the interstate on a hot day.
Old 07-21-2016, 08:36 AM   #125

Monaco Owners Club
Just wondering how you set the pressure when coming in hot to fuel. Do you set cold then at a hot tire stop get the pressure at that time?
Oops too slow typing.

LEN
Old 07-21-2016, 09:19 AM   #126

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Harriet View Post
Here's a video of a Love's Tire Pass lane: