Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-18-2016, 06:52 PM   #99

Yes, size does matter and always will......lol
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-18-2016, 09:45 PM   #100
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Here's something a few people don't know, especially a couple of people who said they never see large stations, other than truck stops. The Gas Buddy app has photos of most stations. Once you select a station, scroll to the bottom and they often show a photo of the station, scroll right and they usually have several more photos.

Here is a PRIME example of a large quality fuel stop that is not a truck stop. For those who have spent time in Quartzsite, there are two off ramps in town. The one at the west end has a Pilot truck stop, the one at the east end is a Chevron, with HUGE islands and you can drive straight through and out the back. The price is also about .08 cents a gallon cheaper and the place is CLEAN.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 10:18 PM   #101

Well, after reading through all of the 8 pages, I have one point not brought up yet:
Since I have big fuel tanks on both sides, I need the truck lanes so I can fill both sides without having to stop and reposition. Also some of the previous mentioned benefits like fresh clean fuel and large fill nozzles.

Maybe since my MH is a big rig truck conversion I have a lot different perspective. I need the big truck lanes to do a full fill-up with least amount of hassles. I also appreciate the restrooms and store for small stuff. I regularly overnight at truck stops when traveling, works good for me. I try to get a curb spot if available to put out BR slide, but can survive in the truck parking spots just fine. Run generator if needed without any concerns about noise. Can always find areas to walk the dogs.

I don't have the "RV discount" card, I have the "professional driver" card which gives me shower credits and a cash rebate in form of store credit (1% of total fuel cost). The showers are actually usually nice and is quite convenient when traveling. One free shower for each single 50 gal min fuel fill. The store credits usually pay for the morning coffee and some food items.

I also did not see mentioned where anyone ever used the truck DEF fill? I don't need DEF, but the convenience of having it at the fuel island and being generally lowest cost seems a good idea to me if you need it?

Overall put me in the happy for the big truck stops camp.
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 10:34 PM   #102

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We all have the privacy of our own showers and personal towels and we know who's feet have been in there. Why in the world would we be interested in free showers at a truckstop? I think that is all Love's offers with their card.

The DEF is nice, but as discussed on another thread, not real convenient on a Motorcoach, as many were on the wrong side, and many like mine require you to pull up to get to the back and the cabinet door doesn't always have enough clearance to get out. I'm probably going to go to the 2.5 gal carry box as was suggested and forget trying to work that DEF nozzle during fillup.
Atom Ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 02:23 PM   #103

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atom Ant View Post
...I'm probably going to go to the 2.5 gal carry box as was suggested and forget trying to work that DEF nozzle during fillup...
That's what I do...Walmart is now selling their own brand, so it's pretty cheap. According to the info label, it contains the same chemicals as they all do.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 02:44 PM   #104

Just picked up 5 more 2 gallon tubs at Buckees. $5.15 each or $2.67 per gallon with tax.
Texasranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 02:39 AM   #105

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atom Ant View Post
We all have the privacy of our own showers and personal towels and we know who's feet have been in there. Why in the world would we be interested in free showers at a truckstop? I think that is all Love's offers with their card.

The DEF is nice, but as discussed on another thread, not real convenient on a Motorcoach, as many were on the wrong side, and many like mine require you to pull up to get to the back and the cabinet door doesn't always have enough clearance to get out. I'm probably going to go to the 2.5 gal carry box as was suggested and forget trying to work that DEF nozzle during fillup.
I take it you hadn't traveled much on cross country road trips before you got your RV. That truck stop shower and toilet is a welcomed convenience any time you're on the road.

If you do any boon docking, using facilities other than your on board ones will extend dumping and filling requirements.

Maybe it's just me, but part of my RV\camping fun is finding new ways to survive on the land, not just rely on the convenience of my rolling motel.

And it's not the truckstops fault our RV manufacturers put the DEF tanks on the wrong location.

DTW
Dtwallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 05:24 AM   #106

My problem with the trucks stops is that too many of them are total ---- holes. Fuel spilled on the ground, pump nozzles leak, paper towels empty, more diesel on the ground.

I had been thinking about buying a box of the throw away covers that you put over your shoes.

It is a necessary evil to have to use these places. I know they are fighting an uphill battle as too many people using the pumps are dirt balls that could care less about clean. Just look at their trucks.

Whenever I see a big gas station that has diesel I pull in there even if I can only fill 1 side. It is nice to get out of the MH without hip boots and they are usually cheaper but slow.
az99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 05:39 AM   #107

Quote:
Originally Posted by az99 View Post
My problem with the trucks stops is that too many of them are total ---- holes. Fuel spilled on the ground, pump nozzles leak, paper towels empty, more diesel on the ground.

I had been thinking about buying a box of the throw away covers that you put over your shoes.

It is a necessary evil to have to use these places. I know they are fighting an uphill battle as too many people using the pumps are dirt balls that could care less about clean. Just look at their trucks.

Whenever I see a big gas station that has diesel I pull in there even if I can only fill 1 side. It is nice to get out of the MH without hip boots and they are usually cheaper but slow.
not my findings at all. I find most quite acceptable ; oops , hope I'm not a dirt ball
Old 07-20-2016, 07:04 AM   #108

I'll have to agree most truck stops are bad news with the fluids everywhere.
My salesman told me I had to fill both sides..i.e. Move the coach if necessary. But my first fill up I realized it was not necessary. It cross fills or its only one big tank.
Texasranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 07:39 AM   #109

For those who are disgusted with the sanitary conditions at truck stops, I suggest that you buy your fuel somewhere else. Truck Stop fuel islands are by nature dirty. The thousands of trucks fueling there are bound to have minor leaks and there will be some spillage. Remember, they were not built to make an RVer feel all warm and fuzzy. They are there for the working men and women that haul our country's freight so we can conveniently purchase whatever we need or want. If the conditions are too much for you to handle, search out that nice clean place where you can fuel up without getting your shoes soiled. I consider the truck stops to be the Truckers World and I am there as a guest.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 08:00 AM   #110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
For those who are disgusted with the sanitary conditions at truck stops, I suggest that you buy your fuel somewhere else. Truck Stop fuel islands are by nature dirty. The thousands of trucks fueling there are bound to have minor leaks and there will be some spillage. Remember, they were not built to make an RVer feel all warm and fuzzy. They are there for the working men and women that haul our country's freight so we can conveniently purchase whatever we need or want. If the conditions are too much for you to handle, search out that nice clean place where you can fuel up without getting your shoes soiled. I consider the truck stops to be the Truckers World and I am there as a guest.

Great post Crasher! X2. I have never found truck stops to be all that bad. The truck lanes will accumulate some spillage. If that is a problem for you, buy a box of throw away shoe covers and pull them on when you exit & off when you enter the coach.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 08:37 AM   #111
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ownby View Post
Great post Crasher! X2. I have never found truck stops to be all that bad. The truck lanes will accumulate some spillage. If that is a problem for you, buy a box of throw away shoe covers and pull them on when you exit & off when you enter the coach.

Maybe something like this!

Cordova Polypropylene Non-Skid Blue Shoe Covers Size Ex Large (50 Pair per Box)-HDSC40XL - The Home Depot
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 08:49 AM   #112

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post

You da man Joe. That is exactly what I was talking about.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote