Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-10-2016, 06:41 PM   #225

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
If you don't agree or disagree, how do you think all those businesses with shelves full of product waiting for you to purchase, get that product? I can't imagine what those products would cost or how they would get there without the trucking industry. Maybe you could enlighten us.
Oh we figure it out - same as we did last time those "dedicated" truckers went on strike.
Atom Ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-10-2016, 06:52 PM   #226

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
If you don't agree or disagree, how do you think all those businesses with shelves full of product waiting for you to purchase, get that product? I can't imagine what those products would cost or how they would get there without the trucking industry. Maybe you could enlighten us.
Not wanting to digress too far but truckers are only one part of the picture. What about the fellows and ladies who built the road, repair the road and snow plow as required so the truckers and us can move freely? What about the staff in the distribution center who load the trucks and the staff in the store who stock the shelves.

They all have a part in the food chain.

I expect truckers are prepared to take their turn and factor the down time into their schedule. I also expect they count the time in the service station as part of the rest time they are required to take.
Old 08-10-2016, 06:57 PM   #227

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
Not wanting to digress too far but truckers are only one part of the picture. What about the fellows and ladies who built the road, repair the road and snow plow as required so the truckers and us can move freely? What about the staff in the distribution center who load the trucks and the staff in the store who stock the shelves.

They all have a part in the food chain.

I expect truckers are prepared to take their turn and factor the down time into their schedule. I also expect they count the time in the service station as part of the rest time they are required to take.
Exactly - many many pieces to the food chain, nothing unique about the trucking industry.
Atom Ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 07:33 PM   #228

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atom Ant View Post
Exactly - many many pieces to the food chain, nothing unique about the trucking industry.
If you got it a truck brought it, end of story!
Old 08-10-2016, 08:34 PM   #229

Quote:
Oh we figure it out - same as we did last time those "dedicated" truckers went on strike.
When you figure it out, ask yourself why you continue to have an RV. You admit that your fifth wheel experience had it's own set of aggravations and you obviously are aggravated with truckers and truck stops. Why do subject yourself to such misery?
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 09:03 PM   #230

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Trucker certainly provide a needed service.

I don't personally know any but my guess is there are good and bad among them just like any other sector.

Having said that, I do think there are way too many trucks on the road these days. Seems like we should use more rail service to reduce the number of trucks on the road. Let the trains handle the long haul piece and the trucks take care of the regional piece, rail to warehouse.

Reducing heavy truck traffic would reduce traffic, road maintenance, fuel consumption, etc... Not to mention eliminating semis 3 abreast trying to pass each other all at a speed under the posted speed limit.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 10:07 PM   #231

The big truck stops

Quote:
I hate that saying

Judging from your posts here, you seem to hate a lot of things...
Rich-n-Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 10:24 PM   #232

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I've had no issues at truck stops. Fuel up, move ahead so the next guy can get to the pump.
They are loud thou. Seems most truckers leave their engine running while they fuel up.
Old 08-10-2016, 10:24 PM   #233

Quote:
Originally Posted by relaxn View Post
15 pages of reading and I think I have it all figured out...

Truck stops are generally more expensive and dirty. However, they are easier to maneuver in.
Some people love that. Some people hate it.

Traditional gas stations are generally cheaper and cleaner. However, they sometimes can be a challenge to maneuver in.
Some people love that. Some people hate that.

Some people like truckers. Some people hate them.

And finally, some people are just mad about everything.

Got it!!

And we have a winner:t humb:
Dtwallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 10:27 PM   #234

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdennislee View Post

Having said that, I do think there are way too many trucks on the road these days. Seems like we should use more rail service to reduce the number of trucks on the road. Let the trains handle the long haul piece and the trucks take care of the regional piece, .

I believe that is done quite a bit ... It is called multi mode transport (i believe).
Old 08-10-2016, 10:34 PM   #235

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN_Traveler View Post
I believe that is done quite a bit ... It is called multi mode transport (i believe).
Need to increase the amount of freight by rail
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 10:46 PM   #236

Quote:

Been done, still used as a backup to the prime mover, and that's the trucks.

Rail can't bring it to the store, rail can't bring it to your door.

It's all a system of partnerships designed and re-designed to fulfil your needs

And yet still some have no appreciation of the system.

Amazing

DTW
Dtwallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 04:41 AM   #237

Monaco Owners Club
Don't you just love it when people comp an attitude about anything and everything!

Could it be the water?

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 05:08 AM   #238

Quote:
I haul frozen from MN to Fl, and other places. I load at the processing plant, turkeys, probably alive the day before. Three days later, I am unloaded in FL, ready to go to a home.

IF that load was put on a railroad, it would have to be hauled to a warehouse, to get enough for a car. By truck. Then hauled and loaded to RR. Rail is SLOW, probably a week to FL, on average. Then unload, and haul to warehouse.

Probably several weeks from walking around. Several truck loads and unloads, etc.

RR's are running near capacity. RR has a LOT of problems with loads like this. They are best for BULK products. Grain, coal, oil, etc.
mpierce is offline   Reply With Quote