Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-17-2016, 12:34 PM   #1
HHg

The big truck stops

Just got home from a long trip.......I've decided the absolute worst part of our travels is having to stop at the "large truck stops" for fuel. I absolutely detest Pilot, Flying J, Travel America, etc....they are a necessary evil that I wish I could avoid ! Okay, I'm through

Hhg
HHg is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-17-2016, 12:45 PM   #2

Hey Hhg, You told us you detest them but didn't say why?
WyoFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 12:46 PM   #3

Evergreen Owners Club
I never have any issues with them. I stop at them exclusively when traveling.
artpe54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 12:47 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHg View Post
Just got home from a long trip.......I've decided the absolute worst part of our travels is having to stop at the "large truck stops" for fuel. I absolutely detest Pilot, Flying J, Travel America, etc....they are a necessary evil that I wish I could avoid ! Okay, I'm through

Hhg

Fueling isn't one of the enjoyments of the RV experience. However, my wife has come to enjoy truck stops and generally will walk the dogs & head into the store while I'm fueling. I almost always use the truck pumps for ease of ingress/egress and the high volume pumps. I use the Pilot/FJ charge card & as a GS life member get the max discount off the cash price. Loves Truck Stops are generally nicer than Pilot/FJ but they don't have a card for RVers. I sometimes over night at a truck stop but prefer Walmart or other box store. I refuse to go out of my way to find a smaller vendor who might be a few cents cheaper but will have to block a significant chunk of one of their fuel islands.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 01:04 PM   #5

When we went from a gasser to a DP, I found fueling at the major truck stops one of the major unexpected advantages. No more putting up with people who park at a pump and go inside for a corndog, cigarettes, gossip with friends, and then put in 5 gallons of gas. Not to mention the problem of turning out of the pump lanes with a toad following and the pumps "perpendicular" to the convenience store. I find Pilot/Flying J and TA to be good experiences. Just returned from a 4,000 mile trip and every stop with them went smoothly. What was it you didn't like?
Old 07-17-2016, 01:11 PM   #6

Your drivimg a 40 foot 15+ ton vehicle and towing another two ton vehicle. Why would you not use a facility designed specifically for that?
What is it that you don't like?
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 01:13 PM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
We use Flying J almost exclusivly because of the RV fuel pumps.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 01:17 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
ya it's not my favorite thing either. Fueling and RV parks with residents kind of takes the "adventure" out of RVing.
Atom Ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 01:18 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
The big truck stops

I have never had any real problems except those I created and not that big a deal. Usually stick to Flying J only because get a slight discount and can pay at the pump. Also if on the way home and need to empty the tanks or fill propane can take care of that also while there.
I have used the RV lanes and the trucker lanes if RV lanes not present. Seems like less of a hassle than fighting all the car lanes and small gas stations.

Steve
Old 07-17-2016, 01:22 PM   #10

Granted refueling is an necessary evil. A convenience store with pump islands perpendicular to the building and only two ea. diesel low-flow nozzles would seem more challenging for a large coach?
What's the rest of the story?

"Momma said there'd be challenging hobbies like this".
J & J, DRV Suites ES-38RSSA #9679
GM Denali, 3500HD-Max, 4x CC, 8' DRW,
EZGo-TXT, Clubcar Precedent
MtnTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 01:23 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Truck stops not my fav experience. But beats trying to find a gas station that we can get in/out of, and then the shoe horning to actually get in/out.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 01:27 PM   #12

Having finally moved to a DP, I have found using the truck diesel island so much easier than even the RV lanes at FJ, which I liked to use when filling the gassers. HOWEVER, I have also learned that we pay dearly for the ease of the truck pumps. Almost all of them are charging significantly higher prices than can be found at diesel pumps at less convenient locations such as Sam's Club and grocery pumps. My recent fill-up at a Sam's pump was 77 cents per gallon cheaper than at the Nearest FJ, and Sam's does not add 6 cents per gallon to their signage price just for using a CC. When buying 75+ gallons that difference is more than enough to cause me to "wait" to get to the pump at Sam's.
I have the Pilot-FJ charge card, but all it saves me is one walk into their store, certainly not saving any money compared to other outlets.
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 01:28 PM   #13
HHg

"Big Truck Stops"

Yes, I'm very aware they do allow easy access.....I've HAD to use them for many years and I do appreciate the easy in and easy out. Yes, I do have the Good Sam membership card for the discounts and supposed pay at the pump.

My reasons:

1. It's a given that I cannot get my 40+ foot Phaeton, plus my tow car in anything else.

2. It's a given in most stops that I'm going to have wait in line to even get to a pump.

3. It's a given (even with my Good Sam membership card) that my wife will be required to go inside to pay.

4. It's a given that I'll pay between .25 to .35 cents more per gallon of diesel

5. It's a given that the concrete will be so covered in diesel, I'll track it back in the coach

6. There's going to be a good chance that the trucker in front of me (after he pulls up to the yellow line) will go back into the store and order food, etc....that will keep me pinned in even after I'm through filling up. When I finally walk up to his truck to ask him to please move, nasty words and threats will be exchanged.

Those are the main reasons.....several other minor reasons I won't go in to.

Thanks !!
Hhg
HHg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 01:31 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by artpe54 View Post
I never have any issues with them. I stop at them exclusively when traveling.
Same here . . . They are fast and easy
Ranger Smith is offline   Reply With Quote