Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 07-25-2013, 07:40 PM   #15
I am in Chicago suburb also. Bought my MH DP from local dealer. Searched for a while and got one that we liked. It fit our budget also. If need more info let me know. Thanks

2015 Ace 30.2
2009 Porsche Cayman
1981 Hondamatic
Mahakal is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-25-2013, 09:13 PM   #16
Winnebago Owners Club
pplmotorhomes.com a consignment dealer has an excellent selection of used class A's. We bought our MH there.

cjlatour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 12:17 AM   #17
Don't rule out a National. They made a quality coach for the price point.
2004 32' National Sea Breeze 1311 Class A on a F-53 Chassis, CHF, TST TPMS, 5Star Tune.
If Dunner (RVM23) can't fix it, it ain't broke!
Cheap Handling Fix Poll. Click Here to vote?
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 02:24 AM   #18
Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
First of all, Welcome! You're in the right place.

Don't restrict yourself to Craigslist. Check out these three sites.

Most of the posted listings will have 10-20 pictures attached. Use them to check out interiors, floor plans, general features. That's what we did. Soon enough you'll learn what you want and don't want, what you like and don't like, which brands look like they're quality from the start, and which look badly beaten. Check out the RV Consumer Group www.rv.org for ratings on brands for engineering, handling, reliability, etc.

Be prepared to drive a couple of hundred miles a few times to check out the ones that look serious. When you get down to serious looking, find an honest RV mechanic and bring him/her with you to check it out, and be ready to pay for a day's time. Don't go cheap on this-- it will likely be the best dollars you spend on your search.

Good Luck, and stay with the forum..... you'll learn a lot here, too.
John & Diane, Fulltimers. RVM103 NHSO
On the road since June '12 with Lincoln, the guard cat.
2002 Dutch Star 40, Freightliner, Cat 3126, 2004 Element
JFXG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 06:49 AM   #19
First, get rid of the frustration.

You are getting good advice so far but my suggestion is to have a new mind set. Get the frustration out of your mind. You are in step #1 of the RV adventure. Enjoy the exploration for the model you want. As you look at different makes and models, keep a list of what you liked and disliked about each one. As your list grows, confusion will slowly fade. Don't compromise too much. When you find your dream coach, frustration has no chance to be in the picture.

I also suggest looking at new coaches at RV shows, etc. Floor plans and equipment on these models may be added to your "want" list for a used rig. Traveling by car and staying in a hotel should add to your desire for an RV and renew your energy during the search process. You are also going to meet a lot of nice people at RV shows. Don't be bashful, talk to them.

Good luck!
BBQ Judge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 07:06 AM   #20

Entegra Owners Club
All good advice...might also take a look at Berkshire's...low end DP that they are making some really great deals on year end 2013s. Talked to a fell last night that got 38.5% 0ff MSRP from MHSRV.com...a high volume dealer in Texas.

You might also make the short drive over to Northern Indiana where you can tour Newmar (Nappannee IN), Entegra (Middlebury and while may be above your price point,very similar to Travel Supreme in the used ranks), and Monaco (Elkhart I think, if they haven't shifted production facilities).

Big show in Hershey PA around 9 Sep. Would give you a broad range of price points and amenities to compare. Second biggest show in the east. Weekend trip to a nice area.

Good luck.
Dave and Beth
2015 Cornerstone 45J
Ford F-150 and 2016 Polaris Razor
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 04:48 PM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
I have had 3 dp's. This one is the top of the line for us. As full timers we need practical space and power. Our last coach had the basement hanging off the slides. We feel that this is not a good idea because it is so easy to overload them. I recommend a rig with the basement under the main floor like a bus.

Are you looking just to vacation for a month or so? How many are traveling? Do you need a fan over the bed, electric entrance locks, king or queen bed, air mattress...??

With all of the looking you are doing it can become very confusing. A good shopping list helps. This rig we now have was chosen in that manner. I did online searches for a 40U. It is surprising what I turned up but it took several months before we hit paydirt and had to drive 1200 mi to get it. Worth every mile!
Rick & Melissa Young & Dawson, 2011 Itasca Meridian 40U, Freightliner XCL, Cummins ISL 380HP/DEF, Allison 3000 MH, 2014 Honda CR-V, SMI AF1, Blue Ox tow equip., TST 507 TPMS, TruCenter steering control, Hughes auto transformer.
Servants On Wheels Ever Ready. Best job we ever paid to do . (full time volunteers)
jerichorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 06:19 PM   #22
You might want to check Tom Johnson's RV website. They have a good inventory of used DP's in varying price ranges. They have two locations in NC and are a high volume dealer since they cater to NASCAR teams, drivers, and fans. We were pleased with the deal we made with those folks. They had a number of used Monaco DP's when we were there and several listed now.[/QUOTE]

That's where we found our rig. We looked for over a year, some units would be advertised on line and we'd call and they'd be sold. We got lucky, found one on the Tom Johnson website. Put a deposit on it and hubby and son flew down the next weekend. Boy we were lucky idiots but it has worked out beautifully.
2008 Dynamax Dynaquest,
a good man who puts up with me, and Buck and Bull the wonderdogs.
Bucksmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 06:30 PM   #23
Newmar Owners Club
I have a rear radiator DP. I have had the belts changed by the professionals. It took less than an hour. When I inquired how they did it so fast, the tech just said they have their secrets. For me, the pro's can have that job. The price was 1 hour labor + parts. If you do this, consider only an authorized service center for the engine you have.
2005 Newmar KSDP 3910 + GMC ENVOY XUV 37K lbs Moving Down The Road
The Avatar Is Many Times Around The USA
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 07:46 PM   #24
If you travel a couple hrs to the East around Elkhart Indiana you will be in the heart of RV land and should find plenty of MH's in that area at a reasonable price.
SteveL1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 06:33 AM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
I have had three dp's all on Freightliner. One had the side radiator and it did well. This new rig has the rear mount and the mountains seemed not to bother it much to the point of having to slow down to cool.

My new floorplan is the most functional we have seen. Many of the manufactures are adopting this layout this year and maybe last. In the Winnebago line the 40U or 42QD is the one I am talking about.

Happy hunting!

Rick & Melissa Young & Dawson, 2011 Itasca Meridian 40U, Freightliner XCL, Cummins ISL 380HP/DEF, Allison 3000 MH, 2014 Honda CR-V, SMI AF1, Blue Ox tow equip., TST 507 TPMS, TruCenter steering control, Hughes auto transformer.
Servants On Wheels Ever Ready. Best job we ever paid to do . (full time volunteers)
jerichorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 07:16 AM   #26
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I don't know the schedule but several times a year Camping World Chicago has an RV show at the Lake County fairgrounds. They usually have a selection of used DPs and gassers. We bought our previous MH there and were happy with it. They also sell units on consignment and we got a great deal. The seller had already ordered a new coach and was 'motivated' to negotiate!
2013 Fleetwood Discovery 40G / 2012 GMC Acadia
Craigls2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 11:08 PM   #27
I almost for got about this Rv dealer North of Sacramento, CA. I was looking at them some years ago because a buddy of mine brought his Monaco from them. They also specialize in bank reprocessed rv's also. DeMartini RV Sales.

DeMartini RV Sales, Recreational vehicles (RVs), Holiday Rambler, Holiday Rambler Motorhomes, Monaco Motorhomes, Fleetwood, Discovery, Revolution, Icon, Pulse, Jamboree, Tioga, Bounder, Bounder Classic, Quest, Monaco Coach, Monaco Coach Corporation,
cowrv39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 05:37 AM   #28
I don't see the rad. config. (side vs. rear) as that big a deal. It's your call in the end, but I would suggest you allow the rear radiator configuration on your list? First, neither is without down side. Second, your engine is not going to need much attention, especially a newer one. Third, I can change a belt on ours (rear rad) inside of 45 minutes, with one tool, without entering the engine compartment. It's done while laying on the ground!

Last thought, a road trip to one of the larger dealers in Florida or Texas might do you some good, but will likely leave you in a stupor for a while as you absorb all of what you've seen? Unless, you go there focused on a couple of models you've narrowed your search to include. Looking at those only, without allowing others to cloud that vision, you may be able to make a purchasing decision.

1997 37' HR Endeavor, 275hp Cat, Freightliner
03 CR-V Blue Ox, Ready Brake
ahicks is offline   Reply With Quote