RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-17-2019, 01:21 PM   #1

The Future of Diesel.

We are planning to live in a motor-home full time in the near future. We expect to still be living in the motor-home at least 20 years from now.

After weighing options and studying and examining different RVs we decided on a diesel pusher (probably 2006 (ish)) over a nice fifth wheel and a truck. the reasons are myriad and not really worth digging into.

However a new concern arose recently.

California is playing with bill to outlaw diesels. All diesels. It is a stupid bill and will not pass, but it is also an indication of the direction things may go, first in the land of fruits and nuts and then copied by other states.

We do not intend and cannot afford to swap out to different motorhomes over the years. Whatever we buy will probably be our home until we are no longer able to use it due to age (or because we are dead).

If diesel gets restricted or so heavily taxed as to make a DP impractical, the options for a DP are likely to be permanently park it, or replace it. Re-powering is not likely to be a practical option. While a 5th wheel, you could just switch to an electric truck at a fraction of the cost and likely at a time it will be time to replace the truck anyway.

Many people will say it is impossible. They will not get rid of diesel or restrict it in the next 20 or 30 years. No way,. That is silly. But then lots of people said the same thing about many other government actions that have come to pass recently. Many of those "Impossible! It will never happen" eventualities have come to be. This is not impossible. It is hard to imagine, but it is certainly possible. There is already a movement for this and things often happen at a surprising speed once they start getting some momentum.

Electric transit trucks are already being produced. Can electric powered motor-homes be that far behind? How long before large numbers of diesel haters start claiming we do not need those stinky things around anymore? How long before other people start listening to them or at least tolerating them?

Other than exclamations of "that is impossible; it is silly; or why would you even dare to think that?" What are your thoughts?

I am aware many people will say this is stupid to think it is even possible. For those people I already know your thoughts, thank you, you can repeat them again here if it pleases you, but i prefer you not bother. I am more interest in what the other people have to say. If you think this is a possibility, how strongly do you feel it is possible or even likely? How long will it take?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-17-2019, 01:28 PM   #2

If your full timers why in Gods name would you ever consider license and,title in California? There are many many RV friendly states you could register in and leave all the crap behind. As for living in a MH its a good choice IF your moving frequently. If your plans are to sit in one place for mo ths at a time, they can make for a bad choice. There has been some other recent threads talking about how much older MHs depreciate. Are you prepared for that plus the really high maintenance bills to keep it on the road?

Old 10-17-2019, 01:46 PM   #3

Have you researched what types of transportation vehicles use diesel or diesel variations as fuel? If the [Mod Edit]ban diesel they would kill the entire freight transportation industry. Trains & semi's use diesel. Trains to power their generators to power the ELECTRIC motors. Jets use "jet A" fuel, basically diesel with different additives. There are also diesel powered generators that provide electricity to entire communities. That's four off the top of my "not so knowledgeable" head. I really don't think it's anything to worry about. Of course this is "JMHO" just my humble opinion.
Old 10-17-2019, 02:39 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
I am more interest in what the other people have to say. If you think this is a possibility, how strongly do you feel it is possible or even likely? How long will it take?
This subject has been talked about a lot in the past but here's my 2 cents...

Of course it's possible. Anything is possible. And I know where you're coming from with all the talk you hear these days about getting rid of fossils fuels, coal, going to electric and wind farms. These positions sound great and cater to the climate change wacko's, but in reality it would quickly shut down the economy, everybody would be worst off and IMO, stock markets would crash, riots would begin and heads would roll.

We spent the summer up in Maine this year and most all those folks up there PLUS all the other folks who live in the snow belt way up north in lower 48 use fuel oil to keep warm all winter. Ut oh...another fossil fuel. So what are they going to do, make all those millions freeze to death by cutting off the fuel oil? Or make them switch to an alternative source that most of them could not even come close to afford? And I haven't even listed the 1,000's of products that are made from petroleum.

The whole world runs mostly on fossil fuels and will for quite some time.

Now there are some pockets of applications where no more fossil fuels is used and can switch over to electric, solar or wind that can be applied where they would work and not interfere with everyday affairs. But it is IMO very limited in scope and is just not possible on a wide scale.

So no, I don't think this will be done in our life time at a minimum and probably a lot longer after that. But hearing this stuff in political campaigns and news sound bites and on the web can be a little un-nerving, I'll give you that. But looking at the facts and the reality of stuff like this, I don't worry.
Old 10-17-2019, 02:58 PM   #5

You can always move to Texas. I cant see the boys in Texas outlawing texas tea as long as they can pump it out of the ground. I could see California putting large taxes on fuel. Since the entire trucking industry delivers pretty much almost every consumer item, this would have huge implications on the price of every thing you buy. I cant see them outright banning diesel fuel until a viable alternative is presented. At this point, a large scale solution is many years away.
Old 10-17-2019, 03:04 PM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
It's going to be several decades before the balance of electrical trucks exceed diesel and another decade before the change happens for RVs. There isn't a coach builder willing to take the risk and sell an ALL electrical rig until quick low cost on demand recharging and coast to coast service is available.

Remove diesel without first having a viable and economical replacement in place and you step back 250 years if not more. There's a lot of speculation but nothing on the horizon that is direct replacement. Pretty hard to recharge a megawatt battery when power is shut off during high wind conditions or when brownouts occur due to the high wattage demand recharging a million watts in 10 hours and the grid can not support. A lot has to change and it isn't going to happen over night or even in a single if not two decades.
Old 10-17-2019, 03:23 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
We were lied to in the past. Remember "Peak Oil"? "The United States will never be fossil fuel independent"! Oh no the "Ozone Hole" will be earth's demise! Global warming...er I mean climate change..haha blah blah blah....So many were sucked in by these alarmists that they made stupid decisions based on junk science. Remove heavy government subsidization and solar and wind energy cannot compete with fossil fuels. PERIOD end of story..relax and get a life..enjoy your DP and if you have to register it in a state run by folks who still have common sense then do what you have to do.
Old 10-17-2019, 04:24 PM   #8

None of us has a crystal ball. My thoughts are follow through with your dream to full time & live life to the fullest.
Old 10-17-2019, 07:43 PM   #9

There are several technologies, that coupled with politics etc. may result in the current RV's on the road being forced out for assorted reasons.

Electric propulsion is one example, which if the transition is driven more by politics than market forces could get existing vehicles off the road. Given the sheer numbers of vehicles on the road, and the fact that average age of the vehicles tends to be several years, I would expect if left alone, ICE propulsion would be around at least a decade, probably 2 once Electric becomes a viable option for larger vehicles.

Autonomous driving systems are also another thing that could become mandatory at some point, either by government mandate, or insurance costs. Again, probably decades out, but given ever increasing traffic, and the ability of central control and tighter road density for computer controlled vehicles, it could well become a necessity at some point.

Finally, given rapidly growing populations, and abuses of assorted "camping" areas, I think many of the places folks now park, be it BLM or forest service land, or Walmart parking lots will become closed to RV use in the way we currently know it. While your diesel rig may be usable, finding areas to use it may become problematic.

Unfortunately, when it comes to the future, even with a stick and brick home, there is always the possibility of it not working out, and your loosing much, if not all of your investment.
Old 10-17-2019, 10:10 PM   #10

I checked the Magic 8 Ball. The answer is: "Not in our lifetime". Remember that in the 60's they said we'd have flying cars by now. And we'd be living on other planets. And then they said we would run out of oil by the 80's, or the 2000's. And so on and so on. Buy a rig, enjoy, don't worry, be happy.......
Old 10-17-2019, 10:25 PM   #11

Go for the dream. You could drop dead in a month
Old 10-18-2019, 09:05 PM   #12

Why do you want to only hear from the side that thinks eliminating diesel is possible? Are you looking for someone to change your mind or justify your decision?

What then? Do you wait a few years for a six-figure electric truck to come to market that may not be capable of towing a heavy 5er more than 100 miles between charges? You’ll just be that much older.
Old 10-18-2019, 09:40 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esc Pod View Post
Go for the dream. You could drop dead in a month
This^^^. Not to be pessimistic but diesel is more likely to be around than you are? Find something else more tangible to worry about.

Then there is always those asteroids, floating around and whizzing by the earth.
Old 10-18-2019, 10:26 PM   #14

Country Coach Owners Club
Next to the Industrial Military Complex that Ike warned us about, Big Oil has a strangle hold on America and won't let go until the oil is gone. As was mentioned, we will be gone first and likely our children and grandchildren. Enjoy your life.

Closed Thread

Tags
diesel