Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-20-2017, 07:24 PM   #29

In my thinking just because you carry a spare doesn't mean you have to do the change yourself.
Our Winnie Adventurer Workhorse has 19.5 tires and the spare mounts up between the rails w a simple frame hinged on the rear...unbolt and it hinges down to release the spare.
I've called Good Sams Roadside Assist and they did the change...if not you may be stuck until they can find a matching tire for you.
On a previous MH no mounting but I stored the spare under the bed instead of the basement compartment.
Roof not great as it gets UV unless covered.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-20-2017, 07:33 PM   #30

Okay, now that everybody that has called me a name similar to the very popular men's haircut in the early 60s, I did go back and see that he has a F53 size chassis. He should be able to carry a spare between the frame rails if that space is available. If their isn't a sufficient cross member than a decent fabricator should be able to create one.
Old 05-20-2017, 07:35 PM   #31
WDW

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePowells View Post
We still don't know anything about the OPs equipment in order to provide an informed view to his specific question. I think we are mostly in agreement that on a class C that we mostly either do or want to carry a spare and that most of the class As are content to call for service. The large class As mostly have the same tires as a lot of the tractor trailers so they are plentiful and you will see them being carried around on repair trucks everyday. If I had a class A I would probably carry an unmounted spare and then call ERS to change it.

2016 Coachmen Mirada 35BH which is 37' long on 19.5 tires.
WDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 08:35 PM   #32

I carry a spare mounted on a steel rim. I can't change it due to needing a high volume of air to run a 1" impact. My thoughts are I wont have to pay top dollar for a tire from a road call which may not be the style /brand I want to buy. Any shop with a 20 ton jack and a impact would be able to change it, greatly increases my options.It is a pain to get out of the basement but we seem to not miss the space it takes.
mwallin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 11:41 PM   #33

I do carry an uncounted spare for our MADP, but in the motorcycle trailer and ONLY on our way home to Alaska. When we travel in the lower 48, I see no need to carry a spare. It's just too easy to get one.
Old 05-21-2017, 06:31 AM   #34

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
While I willingly admit to being both cheap and anal about wanting to be able to fix everything anywhere, I have never even thought about tires as I consider it foolish. How are you going to raise the coach and remove a hundred pound plus, driver side tire, torqued to 450 ft lbs with traffic whipping by at 65 mph? What are you going to use fill the tire to 110 psi if it has lost air? You will need a hose down before you get back into the drivers seat. You still really want and need a roadside service provider for lots of other reasons so it doesn't make sense to not use one for tire issues. Think you really need to think though the safety issues about working on the side of the road unless you have a passion to become an organ donor prematurely.
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 06:39 AM   #35
WDW

Again I am not an advocate of changing your own tire. There area professionals who can handle that safely and reasonably efficient manner -- hopefully . I'm against being held hostage of not having someone not have the tire I need, or the one I want fair at a market price.

Last year when I bought my extra tire to create the spare that I have, a friend of mine who is a commercial sales rep and former private distributor, told me that of the Goodyear tire that I use they had to locate it out of the warehouse 200 miles away from here in Western (Buffalo)New York State. He said in fact they were only eight tires like this in all of New York. Maybe they keep more of them and some other states but it would seem to me if there that hard to find here it might be a little tougher in the west
Old 05-21-2017, 06:45 AM   #36

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooperhawk View Post
At my age I can't envision me changing one of the tires on our coach. Pretty big and mounted using an impact wrench that means I could probably not break them loose by hand anyway. I don't carry a spare for the coach.

The Toad and the Tow Dolly however have spares in the trunk of the toad.
I wouldn't change out a flat on our motorhome myself either, but when the tech dispatched by Coach-Net shows up I will have a spare tire that he or she can put on.

Fortunately, Winnebagos/Itascas come with a spare. Ours is mounted up underneath the frame towards the rear.
affreeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 06:46 AM   #37

This thread is about how to carry a spare tire, given the decision has already been made to carry one.

As to the rest, for me it is simple, if it is an outside rear tire that needs to be changed then simply drive the inside rear up onto a plank. Otherwise I have leveling jacks which can lift the tires off the ground, for lug nut removal I carry an electric impact wrench, but I also do have 19.5 inch wheels which are torqued to under 200 ft lbs, which does make it easier. If I had wheels torqued to 450 ft lbs then I would probably carry a torque multiplier to do the same job. As to a drivers side flat on the side of the interstate, this is a worst case location.
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 07:15 AM   #38

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
I have a Tiffin Allegro 36LA gasser on the 24K Ford F53 chassis. It has 255/80 x 22.5" Michelin Tires. In eight years of RVing and over 80,000 miles I have needed roadside tire service once. My inside rear tire went flat. The tire service center said a 255/80 x 22.5 Michelin and a same size from any other manufacturer is not compatible. Tire center sent 3 different size tires on the service call bc they could not find my size Michelin tire. Ends up I didn't need a replacement tire but if I did it would have been something not matching my Michelins. Hey, I know all forum tire experts have never heard of this and I am just repeating what the service tech told me.
flywithcoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 07:47 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDW View Post
What year and where is it mounted on your coach? You might have a solution in the design.
Our coach is a 2006 Sightseer 29R. I will be the first to admit that the location of the spare storage is not optimal, but it is there. It is in a storage bin located under the bed - in the slideout. It is a bear to get in, but gravity has helped to get it out.....
DryCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 08:06 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmac View Post
While I willingly admit to being both cheap and anal about wanting to be able to fix everything anywhere, I have never even thought about tires as I consider it foolish. How are you going to raise the coach [a 20 ton jack from harbor Freight (about US$45)] and remove a hundred pound plus, driver side tire, [a simple use of gravity-loosen lug nuts while still on ground, as tire lifts from ground pull top, allow to come to rest on ground-reverse to install inflated spare, rest top against hub, raise coach, push on] torqued to 450 ft lbs [leverage] with traffic whipping by at 65 mph [the same way you'd expect a tire tech to do it - safely]? What are you going to use fill the tire to 110 psi if it has lost air [HF hot dog compresor, about US$59 at HF, run generator]? You will need a hose down before you get back into the drivers seat [our MH has a shower and water heater, your doesn't?]. You still really want and need a roadside service provider for lots of other reasons so it doesn't make sense to not use one for tire issues. Think you really need to think though the safety issues about working on the side of the road unless you have a passion to become an organ donor prematurely.
Sounds like you've pretty much convinced yourself that you'd prefer to be at the mercy of the service companies during a holiday weekend. As long as you're always in contact with a cell tower, I guess that is a plan that may work in all cases.

The one point that confuses me so much - why is it suddenly safer for someone else to change your tire with traffic whizzing by at 65 mph? If you don't pull safely to the side and allow room to work, the service tech will advise you to do so before he can start. You do care about the service techs life as much as your own, don't you?
DryCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 10:52 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by DryCreek View Post
Sounds like you've pretty much convinced yourself that you'd prefer to be at the mercy of the service companies during a holiday weekend. As long as you're always in contact with a cell tower, I guess that is a plan that may work in all cases.

The one point that confuses me so much - why is it suddenly safer for someone else to change your tire with traffic whizzing by at 65 mph? If you don't pull safely to the side and allow room to work, the service tech will advise you to do so before he can start. You do care about the service techs life as much as your own, don't you?
Sounds like you're convinced not changing your own is foolish. You make good points but you also make changing a MH tire on the side of the road with harbor freight tools not really made for the task sound excessively easy. I doubt it's an easy task, especially for folks ill equipped physically or skill wise.

Now, you don't have to air the tire up to 110 lbs. You can run to a shop and have them air your tire up properly...though if you have a spare I assume it's already got air in it and it's checked regularly.

You don't have to torque the lug nuts fully. Again, get them as tight as you can and find a shop ASAP to finish the job. But I can tell you that you likely won't get close to 450 lbs. I have to torque my control arm bolts on my Jeep to 125#. That's incredibly hard and I'm a big, strong guy. And without a proper torque wrench to measure with and too much leverage you might just snap a lug off. How do you know how much force to apply to that...what? 4 foot cheater bar? 6 foot?

And I'm pretty sure we are all concerned about the tire tech's safety. But they do it all the time. They are trained in how to do it safely. They have traffic warning devices, vests, flares, lights, etc. and know how to deploy them properly. Not wanting to expose yourself to traffic doesn't mean you don't care about the safety of the guy getting paid to do it for you. It just means you recognize your limitations.

And how many hundreds of pounds of gear and tire do you have to carry around? Tire, wheel, compressor, cheater bar capable of handling 450 ftlbs, 20 ton jack, jack stands (I mean, are you really going to leave your $250K, 15 ton, 12.5 foot tall MH perched on a bottle jack while you wrestle a 150 lbs tire off and on?), etc. 300 lbs? 400 lbs?

If you've got the money and time or lack the physical prowess, why not have someone change your tire for you? It's not a common occurrence and save an actual blow out you can usually limp to a safe location or a tire shop with even a moderate leak. I don't think there is a wrong answer here. Just pros and cons everyone needs to evaluate for themselves.
Dan McMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 03:43 PM   #42
WDW

FOUND IT. -- I believe I've come across a solution. Talking to them about capacity and design and the have indicated their product will meet my needs.

Found these pictures in my research:

Name:   IMG_0617.JPG
Views: 363
Size:  18.4 KB
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0616.JPG
Views:	172
Size:	548.8 KB
ID:	162783