Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-25-2016, 06:54 AM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
The only guideline I know of is the DOT guidelines. The date codes are there for a reason. 10 year old tire casings can't be used as retreads. The guideline you are seeking is your comfort level. Some say it's 7 years, some say 10 or longer. I don't use a TPMS. I check the pressure on every tire Everytime I get ready to move. This makes a physical inspection of the tires more timely. I will probably run them until they are 10 years old. That's what makes me comfortable. For some that number is 5. If your tires look good, just make sure you inspect them and don't rely on that TPMS.

Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-25-2016, 09:55 AM   #16

That seems like sound advice. I was not aware of the DOT guidelines for recaps. Although I monitor the tires with the TPMS, I inspect them before every trip. Same with my trailer tires.

Krash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 10:03 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFXG View Post
Not to hijack anything here, but here's another preservation question about tires.
I've read several times that it is helpful to treat the tires with 303 to keep them "youthful". But is it only necessary to treat the tire surfaces exposed to direct daylight, even if only sometimes direct sunlight? Or must you crawl underneath and treat both sides of every tire in order to protect the tire's longevity?

John & Diane, fulltiming since '12 02 DS40, FL, Cat, '04 Element NHSO RVM103

I too am waiting for some answers to your 303 question!
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 10:22 AM   #18

I use 303 on my tires, but it never occurred to me to try applying it to the back sides of the tires? I am sure it would help, but I am too lazy to crawl under the coach that often.

I would like to know the answer to this also.
Krash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 10:29 AM   #19

Non-use of RV tires is the worst thing that happens to them. The emollients in the tire compound are designed to be released as the tires flex to provide protection. The periods when RV tires sit are when they are most subject to harmful effects.

Coverings like tire covers or protectents like 303 help against ultra-violet damage byt do nothing for ozone damage which seldom shows on the surface of the tire.

If you are talking a scientific research where several sets of tires are tracked over a period of years, probably won't see that. By scientific research also include empirical study where observations are recording. RVSEF has done that. Read their research.

You have to watch statement often attributed to Michelin about 10 years of use. Michelin does state that on their tire information pages but the part about dismounting the tires annually after the fifth year for internal inspection.
Lots of RV Information at www.dmbruss.com
Dale & Mark Bruss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 10:39 AM   #20

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
My tires are dated around 4707 or so. They are the original tires on my '09 and there isn't a crack or even weather checking showing, or at least none that can be seen. Now in the process of trying to get new ones but the front and tag take 365/70's and they are out of stock at Michelin, but the dealer is calling around to see if someone has a couple around.
I may not get to choose a new set due to this or I may choose to wait till Michelin makes another batch, but no ETA available either. This is kind of worrisome as I could be stranded somewhere with a bad tire and not be able to get one quickly. Michelin is the only one that makes that size tire so they need to do a better job of estimating the quantity needed!
The rig came with the SmarTire internal TPMS system and they all need replacing too. Local dealer won't touch the setup so I'm having to drive 100+ miles to one that can get them and knows how to program the unit.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 12:30 PM   #21

I am under the impression, if replaced at say 7 years, there is some value in them for truckers and some tire dealers will pay for them. Not a lot of money, but it should help lessen the dent in the wallet somewhat. My tires are date coded 2011 so I am fast approaching replacement as well. I will likely use the same tires that are on the coach now since they have given me no reason to look elsewhere.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 12:48 PM   #22

I bought my coach last year. It had Michelins on it and they looked brand new. checked dot on tire and they were 10 years old. I bought it in Florida and was heading home to Indiana. I know if a tire blows on a 30,000lb motorhome it will tear up the area it blows out. Was not worth taking the chance. So I bought new tires before I went home. My 2 Cents. Pay me now or pay me later?? Tires are cheap compared to trailer repairs at 125.00 a hour.
Jerry226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 01:06 PM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry226 View Post
I bought my coach last year. It had Michelins on it and they looked brand new. checked dot on tire and they were 10 years old. I bought it in Florida and was heading home to Indiana. I know if a tire blows on a 30,000lb motorhome it will tear up the area it blows out. Was not worth taking the chance. So I bought new tires before I went home. My 2 Cents. Pay me now or pay me later?? Tires are cheap compared to trailer repairs at 125.00 a hour.
Maybe, it is inconvenient, but I'm pretty sure if you have blowout and it damages the RV your insurance will pay. So the deductible is all your out.
Still, its a pain to deal with.
BillJinOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 01:19 PM   #24

I have always found it amusing when people say you must change your tires on these coaches at 5 years or seven years no matter what, then sell their tires on Ebay or Craigslist to some person that knows nothing about this subject and might install them and drive them on the road, all because they have lots of tread on them. If they are really unsafe after 5 or 7 years then they should be discarded. I wish there was a law against selling used tires out of date
Old 09-25-2016, 01:32 PM   #25

The Great Tire Age Debate

A financial perspective:

If your tires cost $3000, replacing them at 7 years means the amortized cost was $36/month.
At 10 years it is $25/month.
Who will take extra risk for such chump change?
My Michelins would be double that. And I'm good with that!

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 02:32 PM   #26

Unless I read wrong or don't understand the question, the poster Krash is trying to determine if his spare will be safe to use if needed.

Dale and Mark Bruss pointed out that lack of use is the worst thing for tires because the emollients

"Non-use of RV tires is the worst thing that happens to them. The emollients in the tire compound are designed to be released as the tires flex to provide protection. The periods when RV tires sit are when they are most subject to harmful effects."

Ok I am sure I will be shot down here but I always let common sense be my guide.
If you needed to put on your spare and didn't try to run the indy 500 but kept your speed low enough so that if the spare blew out you could safely get your rig stopped and off the road then you will have to call roadside assistance and deal with it.

Remember it is the ( spare )and generally not intended to take the place of a normal use tire but to get you to the a place to repair or replace the flat tire.

JMO but as I said put your spare on use caution remove at the earliest possible time.

Yes all tires will need replacing at some point but I would not replace a seven year old spare exercised or not. FYI my spare is 10 years old and I am not worried about it.
pop-sicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 03:07 PM   #27

Road side service is needed for the change of a spare, whether a mounted spare or not, unless folks are experienced, strong, and also have the tools.
I'm guessing a spare is meant as a road-ready spare for normal use.

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 03:16 PM   #28

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
A financial perspective:

If your tires cost $3000, replacing them at 7 years means the amortized cost was $36/month.
At 10 years it is $25/month.
Who will take extra risk for such chump change?
My Michelins would be double that. And I'm good with that!
The estimate for my 8 tires and new SmarTire sensors is $6,763.48 through the FMCA Advantage program. That's $1,500 less than the same service at the same dealer and paying their regular prices.

Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote