Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-25-2016, 08:21 PM   #43

Tire inspection is NOT useless on 6 year old tires in fact it is very important. I personally would change them out as I did with my own coach. But quality rv tires , when properly maintained, can last 10 years.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-26-2016, 07:42 AM   #44

Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmiles View Post
As I posted in another thread, I had a TPMS, and just never felt good enough about the operation of it to trust it, so I scrapped it in favor of a crossfire system for the rears, and old fashion tire gauge for the fronts.

So imagine my surprise the first time I put a couple hundred miles on the crossfire system, and the first thing I saw was red on both indicators! Red means plus 10%, but I've checked it with my pressure gage, and the 10% is when you first see the red. These were all the way into the red. When I checked them with the gage, they had gone from 100 psi to 123! I can tell you my TPMS never reported an this much of an over pressure situation.

My experience tells me TPMS is not the way I will be monitoring my tires in the future. I'll be setting my pressure so that it is just into the yellow, and just keeping a close eye on them.
Tire pressure changes at about 2% for each change in temperature of 10F. So if you checked your air pressure at 70F and the tire temperature increased to about 170F We would expect to see a pressure of about 120. You didn't say what size or Load Range your tires were but 120 is not an "over-pressure" for a measured hot pressure on many 22.5 tires. You are way more likely to fail a tire from low pressure or significant overload than having a hot pressure 20% higher than your cold pressure.

You didn't say what your low or high pressure warning levels were set to or what your TPMS said for the tire temperature so could only guess which is not a good policy.

RE crossfire. I understand the concept but as a tire engineer I never understood the need for matching duels closer than +/- 2 psi or less variation with a good digital gauge. Problem with Crossfire is that when one tires starts to loose air it bleeds off air from the tire that is seeing its load increase which is the exact opposite of what needs to be done. Also a crossfire will not notify the driver that something is going on and that a stop and inspect is called for. What can happen is one tire will continue to loose air while the other tire ends up with 100% overload while the driver is ignorant of what is happening to the tires. End result is that now there is a good chance you have two damaged tires.

Properly setup TPMS should give a warning as soon (10 sec or less) as you start loosing air. It should give 2nd level of warning if you are at the minimum inflation needed to support the load.

Cross fire will never alert the driver as you are moving down the road. BTW how accurate is your digital hand gauge?
Old 09-26-2016, 08:15 AM   #45

Commercial Member

The general guidelines for Motorhomes is to have the tire inspected starting at about 5 years and to replace at 10 years no matter what the inspection indicates.

I do understand that people would like a nice clear precise answer but the problem is that with load, speed and temperatures all having an impact on the life of a tire it is impossible to give a precise time of when to replace a tire.

In today's society no company can give a specific answer to the question as they would be sued if a tire failed before the "end of life" time and they would be sued if the tire lasted past the "end of life" time. We are talking about probability.

You have a sticker on your Rv telling you the inflation to use based on an estimate of how much "stuff" you will be carrying. Federal regulations say the tire load capacity at the specified inflation must be able to support the load rating of the axle. This assumes an exact 50/50 side to side load split all the time. It also assumes you do not put more or less load in your RV than what would result in each axle being exactly at GAWR. Many have learned of the importance of getting the actual load on each tire.

Maybe it would help if we thought about tread depth instead of age.
Exactly how much tread can be worn off before a tire becomes "unsafe'. Most states say 2/32 for passenger car tires but does that mean the tire with 3/32" tread will always perform equally to a tire with 10/32"? Do you always wait till each tire gets to 2/32" before replacing it? If not why not?
Old 09-26-2016, 10:12 AM   #46

Tireman9

You seem to know a heck of a lot about tires. So, as I said, I am researching new tires. Can you give me your thoughts on Hankook AH12 275/70R-22.5 as direct replacements for my Goodyear G670 275/70R225?

Particularly regarding the size, and any problems with the dual spacing?

Are these considered all position tires?
Old 09-27-2016, 08:58 AM   #47

Ford Super Duty Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krash View Post
Thanks for the inputs.

It seems from the responses that I have left the impression that I want to run my tires longer. That is not the case. I am in the process of selecting new tires now. But I guess I better throw away the spare because it is just as old as the tires in service, even though it has never met pavement. I thought a better, and more practical, solution was to see if the spare could be tested to show how badly it had deteriorated from age. Might help other to determine whether to keep, or not keep a spare?

Tireman9
Could you recommend one of these labs to me? I have no knowledge of polymer chemistry or Organic Chemistry, but I did read Goodyear’s recommendation on RV tire replacement, and they make no mention of age? So are you saying my spare tire should not be used in service because it is too old?

JohnRR
That is a long time. Were they showing signs of age? Cracking, low tread depth? Just curious.

I do understand that all things age, and that age usually can be measured. Heck, even petrified wood can be carbon dated. But I am wondering what age, or condition, can determine when a tires useful life has been exhausted. That Goodyear explanation makes the most sense to me logically. And if time is a major factor, how do we determine what the time is. I don’t mean years, I mean condition. I have read about tires that had cracks in the sidewall after one year. I don’t think anyone would say those tires are good for another 5 years in that condition. Isn’t it conversely true that a tire in good, never used condition, may still have a useful life? Or is it dead based solely on age?

By the way, a jug of milk taste bad after 4 hrs, 31 mins, at 70 degrees. I am just looking for someone to taste it and confirm.
I would keep the spare as long as it is just that. Never had any weight on it or exposure I think you will be
fine
gasser 38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 10:48 AM   #48

Commercial Member

Quote:
Tireman9

You seem to know a heck of a lot about tires. So, as I said, I am researching new tires. Can you give me your thoughts on Hankook AH12 275/70R-22.5 as direct replacements for my Goodyear G670 275/70R225?

Particularly regarding the size, and any problems with the dual spacing?

Are these considered all position tires?
I try and stay away from specific tire suggestions. Since the size is the same the dual spacing should not be an issue. Both companies seem to follow industry guidelines for dimensions. Be sure you are getting the correct Load Range.
Have you confirmed your actual tire loading with scale weight?
Old 09-27-2016, 01:35 PM   #49

Thor Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
Here is a test

Experience! Experience! Experience! I change mine every 5 to 7 years Period. I learned the hard way in over 45 years of RVing. 1998 Tropical Michelin tires 7 1/2 years old Blow out passenger front on I-10 out of Lordsburg NM, 65 MPH. Took out wiring, inner panel, tore off fender and wheel well. $3000 damage. I feel fortunate that no injuries. I now change tires on any RV when they are 5 to 7 years old. My Life and my Family is worth more than a set of tires. Same thing with brakes. Safety First. JMHO
Mel
Old 09-27-2016, 05:08 PM   #50

Same thing with TPMS. Safety first!
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 10:52 PM   #51

Certainly understandable that you wouldn't get involved in tire brand recommendations. However, you gave my a good piece of advice on the size. I was worried that certain tires had variations in dimensions, even though the tires have the same numbers on them

I weigh my coach often, but have not gotten 4 corner weights yet. I am heading to Texas, and will get them weighed at the Escapees RV park in Livingston. Currently I have weighed the axles, devided by two, then use the chart pressures, plus 5 psi.

I also found a youtube video that shows a Flying J in Brookshire, TX that has an open CAT scale, which is rare, and I will get corner weights there also.

I will be weighing my trailer too. Hope to be picking up tires on the way down.

Thanks for the tire size confirmation!
Old 09-28-2016, 10:14 AM   #52

Commercial Member

Quote:
Certainly understandable that you wouldn't get involved in tire brand recommendations. However, you gave my a good piece of advice on the size. I was worried that certain tires had variations in dimensions, even though the tires have the same numbers on them

I weigh my coach often, but have not gotten 4 corner weights yet. I am heading to Texas, and will get them weighed at the Escapees RV park in Livingston. Currently I have weighed the axles, devided by two, then use the chart pressures, plus 5 psi.

I also found a youtube video that shows a Flying J in Brookshire, TX that has an open CAT scale, which is rare, and I will get corner weights there also.

I will be weighing my trailer too. Hope to be picking up tires on the way down.

Thanks for the tire size confirmation!
If you don't know the side/side load split I suggest you use 47/53 So use the 53% number when consulting the load tables to learn the minimum inflation.

RE Inflation margin. I suggest adding 10% to the minimum inflation and if you want to end up with a 5 or 0 number round up from the +10% number.

If you run a good TPMS you can then watch your numbers (they will normally be +/- a couple psi from your hand gauge but you will soon learn and get comfortable with the range)
In the morning when I get up I turn on my TPMS monitor and do the "reset" so I get current numbers. It takes about 10 to 15 min to get all 6. This way I know my CIP and if/when it drops about 5 psi I know its time to add air. I can then get air at the next fuel stop as truck stops have the high pressure air needed by many RVs. This way I do not need to carry a compressor.
With a 10% margin on inflation, I do not have to worry about day to day +/- a couple psi.
Old 09-28-2016, 10:50 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
If you don't know the side/side load split I suggest you use 47/53 So use the 53% number when consulting the load tables to learn the minimum inflation.
Can you explain this to me? I don't understand the 47/53 that you are referring to?
Old 09-28-2016, 07:34 PM   #54

American Coach Owners Club
I believe you Guys are way over thinking this - Just me !
I don't use a tpms and haven't the last 16 years , I check my Tires every trip and Replace them on their due date 5 to 6 yrs.
I run 20 to 25 K miles a year and I park indoors when home.
UV kills tires and those of you that leave your Rig outside for months at a time are asking for pre-mature Tire issues !
NHRA225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 08:56 PM   #55

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHRA225 View Post
I believe you Guys are way over thinking this - Just me !

I don't use a tpms and haven't the last 16 years , I check my Tires every trip and Replace them on their due date 5 to 6 yrs.

I run 20 to 25 K miles a year and I park indoors when home.

UV kills tires and those of you that leave your Rig outside for months at a time are asking for pre-mature Tire issues !

Me too. Never used TPMS in 40 years. My tire pressure is rock solid 105 psi all summer long. I top off the tires adding 2 or 3 psi once a year.

Yes, way overthinking this. True.
alpha99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 09:01 PM   #56

Winnebago Owners Club
The Great Tire Age Debate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post

RE Inflation margin. I suggest adding 10% to the minimum inflation and if you want to end up with a 5 or 0 number round up from the +10% number.

If you run a good TPMS you can then watch your numbers (they will normally be +/- a couple psi from your hand gauge but you will soon learn and get comfortable with the range)
In the morning when I get up I turn on my TPMS monitor and do the "reset" so I get current numbers. It takes about 10 to 15 min to get all 6. This way I know my CIP and if/when it drops about 5 psi I know its time to add air. I can then get air at the next fuel stop as truck stops have the high pressure air needed by many RVs. This way I do not need to carry a compressor.
With a 10% margin on inflation, I do not have to worry about day to day +/- a couple psi.

Hilarious.

For the past forty (40) years, I have never had a TPMS. I look at my tires, check the pressure now and then, I have never had to add air more than ONCE A YEAR, in 40 years!

You are, IMO, chasing your tail everyday checking those pressures so often! Really quite entertaining to watch.

Chill!
alpha99 is offline   Reply With Quote