Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-29-2016, 05:27 AM   #57

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
SIZE MATTERS!!! I have Michelin RV tires on my MH. On a recent tire road service call the responding service tech brought two different size tires because they did not have Michelin tires in my size in stock. WHY? From their RV/Semi truck tire experience they have found that Michelin RV tire sizes are different than other major manufacturers. So, if you have to mix tire brands in an emergency you may end up with different sizes written on the tires but in actuality they are the same physical size. I would have never known this if I had not needed a service call. Of course i would never mix tire brands unless it is an emergency situation. Good news is I didn't need to replace my suspect tire. All you guys with years of RVing experience have you ever heard of this?

flywithcoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-29-2016, 08:50 AM   #58

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krash View Post
Can you explain this to me? I don't understand the 47/53 that you are referring to?
Take the axle weight and multiply it by .53. That will give you a weight that is slightly higher than half of the axle weight. Use that weight to determine the pressure in the tables.

The increase in weight will account for some unequal loading of the coach. If you are able to get corner weights use the highest weight on the axle to determine the pressure in all of the tires on that axle.

I add 5 lbs to the weight from the chart to account for variations in tire loading because of rutting in some of the older pavements.

Old 09-29-2016, 08:57 AM   #59

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha99 View Post
Me too. Never used TPMS in 40 years. My tire pressure is rock solid 105 psi all summer long. I top off the tires adding 2 or 3 psi once a year.

Yes, way overthinking this. True.
I as well did not have a TPMS until the coach. That is after 50 years of driving. Fortunately the investment saved a tire IMO.

We must have picked up a nail going through a road construction project. Shortly thereafter the TPMS warned me about a low tag pressure. Inspecting the tire the escaping air could be heard over the idling engine. We limped to the next town and had the tire repaired.

Without the TPMS warning the plan was to continue driving for several more hours on open highway. Not sure if there would have been any other indicators to warn about the tire going flat. IMO the TPMS saved a tire and possible body damage if the tire would have delaminated.
Old 09-29-2016, 09:33 AM   #60

Sorry--I didn't read all 5 pages of this thread but if you are an owner of a used rig, you may not know the history of the coach. Specifically, if the previous owner ever had an "extreme low pressure event" while driving, it is likely that tire was permanently damaged and will be susceptible to early failure at some point.
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 03:23 PM   #61
RVM1

The Great Tire Age Debate

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHRA225 View Post
I believe you Guys are way over thinking this - Just me !

I don't use a tpms and haven't the last 16 years , I check my Tires every trip and Replace them on their due date 5 to 6 yrs.

I run 20 to 25 K miles a year and I park indoors when home.

UV kills tires and those of you that leave your Rig outside for months at a time are asking for pre-mature Tire issues !

Quote:
Me too. Never used TPMS in 40 years. My tire pressure is rock solid 105 psi all summer long. I top off the tires adding 2 or 3 psi once a year.

Yes, way overthinking this. True.

Quote:
Hilarious.

For the past forty (40) years, I have never had a TPMS. I look at my tires, check the pressure now and then, I have never had to add air more than ONCE A YEAR, in 40 years!

You are, IMO, chasing your tail everyday checking those pressures so often! Really quite entertaining to watch.

Chill!

I love good stories!
For me, I had 49 years without TPMS, most of that time was long before it was available.
I had only one flat RV tire that could have been saved by TPMS in 1992. A small nail.
My tires are over $700 per now, and I only need to adjust psi once per year too. But we are fulltime now, so I "hired" TST507 3 years ago for $700 (monitor,12 sensors, and a booster).
My "hired hand" has been flawless and has never alerted me. It checks my tire temps and psi constantly, so I never need to. I do glance at it each morning to see my launch readings, but forget it's there for the rest of the day. It's working so I never worry or wonder or fret.
The annual amortized salary for my Tire Monitor is about $233 now and declining annually. I did have to buy one battery though!
All of us are proud and boastful of our good luck so far. I'm simply into my latest chapter and confident in my Tire Monitor.
But it is only a Tire Monitor and can only tell me if there is an actual tire event.
I suggest that everyone should hire one.

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 05:27 PM   #62

Wow! When I started this thread, I had no idea it would morph into a discussion about the virtues of having a TPMS?

So, I guess I will throw in a story of my own about why I own one.

About 17 year ago, I bought a 1999, 40’ Alpine motorhome. In business, we were doing shows all over the counter and pulling a 23’ trailer the whole time. (We put almost 100k mile on it in two years) While dragging that trailer behind us, we sometimes were actually dragging that trailer behind us!

We must have had 10-15 flat tires during the two year period. We usually found out by a car passing us and signaling that we had a problem. Now, I was younger and thought nothing about just putting on whatever the closest tire shop told me to. Then run hard again until the next tire blew. (Sometimes it was the new tire I just had installed, but we were 500 miles away from the shop by then)

I do not want to be doing all that again, so I now have a 10 position TPMS, (plus, I know a lot more about tire pressures now), and it gives me much more confidence and peace of mind.
Krash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 05:59 PM   #63
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If you can achieve that "peace of mind" your way ahead of the game.
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 06:16 PM   #64

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1475194436.918939.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	140252 8 year old GY 670 doesn't look like much but $8,000 both steers went out within a week of each other.
Old 09-29-2016, 06:29 PM   #65
RVM1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_Rooster View Post
Attachment 140252 8 year old GY 670 doesn't look like much but $8,000 both steers went out within a week of each other.

Dang! That's aweful, Rooster.
Was the cause from a leak or overtemp?

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 09:28 PM   #66
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krash View Post
Can you explain this to me? I don't understand the 47/53 that you are referring to?
If the axle load was equally split side to side it would be 50/50 but very few RVs have equal loads on each end of an axle. Some may have 51% on the heavy side others may have 55% of the load on one end of the axle. I have read a report from weighing company with one end of an axle with 1,000 more pounds load than the other. A reasonable compromise is to assume one end carries 53% of the axle load.
Old 09-29-2016, 10:33 PM   #67
Commercial Member

To all those who feel TPMS is not needed and have never had a puncture or leaking valve I am glad you have been lucky so far. Have to wonder what you would do if your oil pressure gauge or water temperature or ammeter stopped. I would guess you would not feel any great urgency to fix them as you can always check fluid levels and belt condition by looking under the hood.
Who ever heard of having a problem while driving down the road anyway.
Old 09-30-2016, 05:58 AM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
Dang! That's aweful, Rooster.
Was the cause from a leak or overtemp?

No leak, no high temp just boom.
Old 09-30-2016, 06:16 AM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_Rooster View Post
No leak, no high temp just boom.
What cost $8000. tires? or did you destroy the rims also.
Old 09-30-2016, 08:00 AM   #70
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flywithcoop View Post
SIZE MATTERS!!! I have Michelin RV tires on my MH. On a recent tire road service call the responding service tech brought two different size tires because they did not have Michelin tires in my size in stock. WHY? From their RV/Semi truck tire experience they have found that Michelin RV tire sizes are different than other major manufacturers. So, if you have to mix tire brands in an emergency you may end up with different sizes written on the tires but in actuality they are the same physical size. I would have never known this if I had not needed a service call. Of course i would never mix tire brands unless it is an emergency situation. Good news is I didn't need to replace my suspect tire. All you guys with years of RVing experience have you ever heard of this?
Can you provide details? What size and name is your current Michelin tire?