Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-30-2016, 08:01 AM   #71
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_Rooster View Post
No leak, no high temp just boom.

Have any pictures of the failed tire?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-30-2016, 08:37 AM   #72

As i've said in other threads, i went 13 years on the Michelins that came with the motorhome. I never thought about age being a factor until i started doing a little research. Now, even though there is not a precise consensus, it just makes sense. There are different rubber compounds, some that hold up better than others, but they all end up deteriorating with age. For now, and this could change, my tire's age limit won't ever go above 10 years on the MH.

Also, because i try to stay on top of tire maintenance, i never thought about using TPMS. That is, until i realized that they could save not only my tire, but damage to the MH or worse yet, my Family. This is now bumped towards the top of my to do list.

Old 09-30-2016, 10:02 PM   #73
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"Krash".....I don't have an answer for what to do with your spare. I will add that if your current tires are in good shape, replace the front two tires and wait a year to replace the rears. This will spread out your costs, while giving you piece of mind about your steer tires.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 10:56 PM   #74

Don, you always have good advice for me, so I may just do that. I was going to replace all of them and keep the spare which has never been on the road. They all look great, with no cracks or any other signs of wear. I have 12-13 32nds on every tread. But I was thinking to just replace the fronts for safety sake.

This would also give me a chance to try the Hankooks to see how I like them. Then if I do like them, put the other four on just before leaving for Alaska. And keep a couple of the GY's as spares for that big trip. Like you, I have lots of room with the trailer.

Also, I am loving my new Pacbrake!! Thanks for the recommendation.
Krash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 12:07 AM   #75

I like to compare the tire condition, age out over wear out scenario to trucking. What I've come up with is what works for me, and I'm no way setting it wrong or right for anyone else.
The number one difference in this comparison is use.
But something else that was all new to me when I moved up to the class (A) diesel pusher.
I learned on this form that on RV'ers run the air pressures a lot different than we do in the trucking industry.
RV'er adjust air pressures for Comfort in addition to load capacity.
Adjusting for comfort results in lower air pressures that lead to more flexing of the sidewalls for that extra cushion as most would like to call it.
In most cases in the trucking industry running tire air pressure lower than the standard 110psi for single vs 100psi for duel leads to more frequent tire failures.

Therefore, using the same technique for tire care on my RV as I used for my trucks, I expect at least up to ten years of safe service. Notice I'm saying expected service not what I've experienced. In the RV world, this is still a Learning experience for me.

My decision to run my air pressures this way is based mainly on what I have read on these forums.
I've read of more frequent tire failures out of the blue happening to folks who are running lower air pressures.
At every stop I use a laser thermometer to check my tire temperature. Tire temperatures are consistently cool and rolling resistance is less resulting in better fuel mileage. I frequently inspect my ties for cuts bruises and cupping and of course cracks.
And I'm perfectly satisfied that my tires are serviceable and safe.

I try not to let my tires sit on one spot longer than a month without taking to coach out for a 50 to 100 mile exercise run.
This has worked for me so far, and just my 2cts
DTW
Dtwallace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 06:06 AM   #76

The Great Tire Age Debate

Quote:
Originally Posted by steppinstone View Post
What cost $8000. tires? or did you destroy the rims also.

Body and wiring repair rim destroyed also only $650.
Old 10-01-2016, 06:15 AM   #77
RVM1

The Great Tire Age Debate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_Rooster View Post
No leak, no high temp just boom.

Did the tires check out okay during your last dismounted inspection?

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 07:10 AM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
Did the tires check out okay during your last dismounted inspection?

Tires where inspected by tire dealer but not dismounted the moral to the story is to not try to be cheap and buy new tires.
Old 10-01-2016, 07:19 AM   #79

Dtwallace. The tire pressure should always be at least enough for the tire load. If the tire pressure is correct for the load, then there is no excess flexing of the side walls.

In fact running the tire pressure higher than the tire load requirements causes crowning of the thread and a reduction of the tire contact patch and extra wear on the center tread.

Some motorhome have tires with excess load capacity and setting the inflation too high makes for rough ride and extra wear.

Trucks are a different world as they have to be ready for full loads.
Lots of RV Information at www.dmbruss.com
Dale & Mark Bruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 09:01 AM   #80

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale & Mark Bruss View Post
Dtwallace. The tire pressure should always be at least enough for the tire load. If the tire pressure is correct for the load, then there is no excess flexing of the side walls.

In fact running the tire pressure higher than the tire load requirements causes crowning of the thread and a reduction of the tire contact patch and extra wear on the center tread.

Some motorhome have tires with excess load capacity and setting the inflation too high makes for rough ride and extra wear.

Trucks are a different world as they have to be ready for full loads.
I agree.

If a truck tires are fully inflated they run over inflated approximately half the time as the other half they are carrying a load. A good dispatcher will ensure that full loads are the majority of the travel.

If a MH tire is overinflated it is overinflated all of the time as it will be scaled at the max weight if weighed properly with full tanks, etc.
Old 10-01-2016, 03:04 PM   #81

I have Michelin's both front and back. Am concerned especially for the fronts. The fronts are nine years old and about 70,000 miles. Will replace within the next two weeks. I have looked at the "YOUTUBE" video of a Class A with a left steer tire blow out. Not anything i want to have happen to me, my family, or coach. Have had two rears blow. Not nice, but controllable. Better safe than sorry.
Regards,
JimB
Old 10-01-2016, 03:39 PM   #82

I have no science to subject, but can tell you I lost both inside drives on my last road trip with 09 date codes a couple months ago. Not towing and looked new at the time
Old 10-01-2016, 03:41 PM   #83

I also have inflation and temp monitors so inflation was not an issue. They came apart at 108-110 degrees on flat road @ 65-70 and 105psi. The liner's separated on both.
Old 10-01-2016, 10:57 PM   #84

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtwallace View Post
In most cases in the trucking industry running tire air pressure lower than the standard 110psi for single vs 100psi for duel leads to more frequent tire failures.

Therefore, using the same technique for tire care on my RV as I used for my trucks, I expect at least up to ten years of safe service. .....

Your 110/100 trucking standard blends nicely with larger motorhomes as the MHs become more heavily loaded. It has been my observation that a fulltimer MH is more likely to be loaded to the limit than a camping MH.
We are fulltimers, and our DS spends its entire life at or very close to max gross. I set my tires to chart + 5Lbs, which puts me at 110 front and 95 rear.

John & Diane, fulltiming since '12 02 DS40, FL, Cat, '04 Element NHSO RVM103

JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote