Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-14-2013, 06:26 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by adonh View Post
I am making progress, I have the new cabinet attached to the side under the window and the TV lift is installed. I finished the Hickory top and door is attached with a piano hinge opens and closes when the TV lift raises and lowers the TV. It looks good. Today I finished routing the coax cable from the compartment above the drivers seat across the front concealed behind the overhead and cabinet areas. Then down the side over the door behind the curtain valance and down to the new cabinet. That was a job, but the cables are all concealed and everything above put back in place. I will be moving the Dish receiver and the the Coach switching box to the new cabinet and I ran 4 separate cables which should give me a spare or two. Pictures to follow tomorrow, just ran out steam today.
Today I got the receiver and switch box moved and connected in the new TV stand and finished securing the stand and lift to the inside wall and floor. I also cut out the old head banger. Since it was designed for a flat screen TV there is really no cabinet space to speak of so I will probably just refinish the spot with holes in Hickory wood and put some trim at the bottom. What a difference in the view from the front window. I am trying to decide if I want to keep the fans or not.

The moment of truth came when I was ready to mount the TV to the lift and see if all of measurements and clearances were correct. Pushed the up button and the door opened and the TV came up and looks perfect. Push the down button and the TV goes down and the door closes. Now I can finish the front trim and close it up. Here are just a few pictures.

Click image for larger version

Name:	New TV stand.jpg
Views:	504
Size:	200.9 KB
ID:	44153

Name:	head banger.jpg
Views:	480
Size:	142.3 KB
ID:	44154

Name:	head banger gone.jpg
Views:	485
Size:	205.1 KB
ID:	44155

Name:	TV on lift.jpg
Views:	495
Size:	191.3 KB
ID:	44156

adonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-14-2013, 08:12 PM   #72

Excellent...look forward to seeing pic of the finished product.

buck454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 09:56 AM   #73
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Fantastic job! One question..you didn't mention the memory button on the remote. You can set it to move the TV up the a pre-set position every time, but I'm sure you know that!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 04:31 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
Fantastic job! One question..you didn't mention the memory button on the remote. You can set it to move the TV up the a pre-set position every time, but I'm sure you know that!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
I have not set the memory yet, I am finishing up on the outside of the stand and trim work. I will then connect the wires and cables to the TV, clean up the place and set the level. More pictures to follow soon.

Almost done
Old 08-17-2013, 04:22 PM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by adonh View Post
I have not set the memory yet, I am finishing up on the outside of the stand and trim work. I will then connect the wires and cables to the TV, clean up the place and set the level. More pictures to follow soon.

Almost done
Here are some more pictures of the almost finished TV lift project. A few little finishing touches to complete like the trim at the floor around the cabinet and install an infrared compatible door on the small cabinet where the Dish receiver and other equipment is located. I have found a source for black plexiglass that allows the remote signal to go through it and they will cut it the size I need.

http://www.eplastics.com/Plastic/Ple...60-125IRT24X48

I am also going to work on the drawer that was in the top of the cabinet and cut it down to store the remotes. Its a tight squeeze in that little cabinet since the TV when lowered extends across the back. The original cabinet had a Corian top that matched the Corian kitchen counters so I cut it down and used it on the small front section of the cabinet

When I started working on this project I removed a 12" high section of trim that covered up the heater duct that runs along the bottom of the wall for the vent there in the bottom of the small cabinet. It was made from Hickory and had a fabric insert and the same theme was on the walls above and off to the right hand side along the wall where the table is. So I removed the fabric on the wall above the duct that would be covered up by the new TV stand. I then cut hickory strips and small trim pieces to make the front cover to the TV stand match the trim and that continues along the wall.

The lift works great and its neat to watch the door open as it lifts and silently closes as it lowers. I have been working on this at my storage space and my wife had not seen any of this. Today I took her over to take a look after I cleaned everything up and she was impressed.

Name:	TV-1.jpg
Views:	631
Size:	173.3 KB
ID:	44309

Name:	TV-2.jpg
Views:	666
Size:	195.7 KB
ID:	44310

Name:	TV-3.jpg
Views:	653
Size:	206.2 KB
ID:	44311

Name:	TV-4.jpg
Views:	644
Size:	195.0 KB
ID:	44312
Old 08-18-2013, 12:35 PM   #76
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Don, you did an amazing job! That really looks great!

Old 01-26-2017, 04:35 PM   #77

This is fantastic. Thanks for sharing
Old 01-28-2017, 01:01 AM   #78

really well done impressive,how long to complete once you started? TOM AND JOANNE
Old 01-29-2017, 07:58 AM   #79

Quote:
I finally finished my project of getting rid of the old TV hanging above the dash in the MH and installing a new 40" flat-screen on a motorized lift behind the couch. I had shown the installation of the new one here before, but wanted to now show the entire process.

This is the old 32" tube-type TV that came in the MH new.

A side view of the monster! I wish I had a dollar bill for every time I banged my head on this going into the MH!

This is a view of the cabinet after removing the TV

The cabinet shop has removed the TV cabinet to rebuild it.

There was very little insulation behind the cabinets. I put a layer of Reflectix foil/foam insulation all the way across, then packed 9 1/2" of non-backed fiberglass insulation in front of the Reflectix. This is a pic of the area after insulation waiting for the rebuilt cabinet.

Above are shots of the completed installation. Finally, my head will get a little relief!

This is the couch with the new TV on the motorized mount hidden behind.

This is with the TV raised into viewing position. A remote control raises and lowers the TV. We sit in our recliners directly across from it.
looks kinda hard to see the tv from the sofa,,, and if some one sits at the sofa , no one else can see the tv...when I see this kinda set up I wonder how you watch tv with friends????? or family..
Old 01-29-2017, 02:50 PM   #80
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVRVLUVR View Post
looks kinda hard to see the tv from the sofa,,, and if some one sits at the sofa , no one else can see the tv...when I see this kinda set up I wonder how you watch tv with friends????? or family..

Obviously don't watch TV with friends or family!

Old 01-29-2017, 09:11 PM   #81

Quote:
Obviously don't watch TV with friends or family!
lay'n on the sofa watch'n tv might be a challenge also
Old 01-29-2017, 09:25 PM   #82
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Nice job. You're going to love the TV directly across from the recliners.

Lori-
Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV EX-L AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 07:34 PM   #83

I may need to build the same kind of cabinet. So, a really an awesome job by all, but, one thing nobody has discussed is: how did these modifications affect the retracted distance (the closed up, travel ready gap) between the new couch position and any furniture on the opposite side? Can the passenger still move to middle of the rig and get food, go potty?
Old 02-13-2017, 05:29 PM   #84
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 55mph View Post
I may need to build the same kind of cabinet. So, a really an awesome job by all, but, one thing nobody has discussed is: how did these modifications affect the retracted distance (the closed up, travel ready gap) between the new couch position and any furniture on the opposite side? Can the passenger still move to middle of the rig and get food, go potty?

Not sure if this question was for me. I only moved the couch out about 6", and even with the large loveseat/recliner unit it still leaves plenty of room to walk between them!