RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-14-2017, 09:53 PM   #29

Monaco Owners Club
I didn't get the Velvita Coach, instead I bought the Breadbox Coach. Some days it's Sourdough.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-14-2017, 10:02 PM   #30

Love your post. I'm a newbie with a short class a and remain white knuckles every time I head out; even to places we have been before. Very stressful driving these big boxes.

Our first trip was down a very windy country road with trees right on the shoulders to a campgrounds to tight for our motorhome... the trip felt like hours long for those 9 miles. Got the motorhome in between the tress and branches and tested the air conditioning for the next two days while it hit 109!

Our next trip was into the mountains for a five hour drive one way... steep grades, logging trucks, morons and 105 degrees outside. The entire time at the campground all I could do was think of the drive back home. Once I hit I-5 I was much better. Almost kissed the driveway when we docked at home.

I sure hope my wife gets out of the dog show phase that caused me to get the motorhome. I just cannot get comfortable driving it and stress on the what if driving in unknown areas or breaking down.

I was much more comfortable boating than motorhoming. Give me strong currents, winds, seas and no one around for miles!

Old 04-14-2017, 10:48 PM   #31

Brokenrule, It may be time to consider some suspension upgrades, trac bar, sway bar upgrade, new shocks, etc. As well as getting your steering components professionally checked for wear.
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 12:57 AM   #32

I guess I am one of the lucky ones that have felt comfortable from day one getting behind the wheel. It helps that I have driven everything from the smallest VW to a tractor trailer. The thing you really have to learn is situational awareness, using your mirrors and your rear camera and always know what is going on outside the motorhome. The object is to relax and enjoy the drive, not fear it.
slemnah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 08:04 AM   #33

I may be lucky also, but I've got to learn all over like anything else. The feel, the surroundings, not for getting to do a pre-inspection, making sure everyone and everything is on board. After about 10 miles I start to relax more. No unusual sounds and the copilot with a smile on her face. I really feel lucky now.
spsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 08:43 AM   #34

Tiffin Owners Club
Fantastic post... loved every word of it, and I got this! Bought my 40' er last fall in Ventura CA, left the dealer at 2:30 pm on a Friday! After 6 1/2 hrs of driving through LA rush hour traffic, I arrived in Barstow...what a welcome the truck stop was. Left the next morning headed out on I40 towards Colorado. WOW that windshield is big... big view of the sunrise...headed east.

I had driven 18 wheelers about 50 years ago, so had some confidence (even if it was false), but it helped. Experienced a few things, like no windshield wiper when it started to rain, a loose battery connection which caused concern when I hit large bumps in the road (for an instant everything quit, all the dash lights come on and buzzers sound off), but as you say "I got this"!!

In the years to come, I will learn a lot and look back and smile at all the "learning" experiences and say "I got this" (finally)!!
Speck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 09:20 AM   #35

Down here in the South, "I got this" is usually followed by the words "Hold my beer".
DWRichard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 10:40 AM   #36

All very enjoyable posts.The view out the windshield is definitely worth the effort.
OverDo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 10:52 AM   #37

I know the wife is more intimidated than I am. Today she has a two day dog show about 30 miles away but we cannot stay over night so no rv. I told her to take it anyway and use it to hang out it between the morning and afternoon shows. She had every excuse not to drive it!

Now if I was available... she would insist we take it.
Old 04-15-2017, 01:01 PM   #38

Winnebago Owners Club
Great Thread

I too just purchased my first RV, a 32 fr DP. I have never driven anything big,maybe a Ford F350. Bought this RV 130 miles away from home. Unit was used and all I could think of was having problems during the trip home. I had the same feelings as other posters being this thing doesn't fit between the lines and if I had a magic marker I could put line down the side of every tractor trailer that passed me as it tried to send me to the ditch. I calmed down after the first 30 miles all interstate until I had to fuel at a truck stop. Once that was done all was OK until the last fifteen or so miles of side streets and corners to navigate. The other thing that took me a while to get used to was the air brakes in that the geometry of the brake pedal is different that a gas vehicle. Experience and confidence is your friend. I'm still working on them.
Old 04-15-2017, 05:36 PM   #39

Just keep telling yourself....No Risk, No Reward. It is scary at first and you always have to respect its size and weight but confidence does come with time behind the wheel. The first few times I went skiing, it was a lot of work and it wasn't fun but then I learned to lean forward and control my skis rather than be controlled by them.
GreyGoose57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 05:45 PM   #40

Forest River Owners Club
Our first 25-30 miles was thru the construction in Fort Worth last year. Oh man! The next 1500 or so miles were full of road construction, wind, and storms. It certainly has been easier since, but I know enough to never take things for granted.
Old 04-15-2017, 05:48 PM   #41

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by affreeman View Post
For me, the single most important thing for positioning myself on the road is to look ahead down the road. Just aim to put your body in the left wheel track of your lane and you're golden.

If you look too close in you have no reference point. Lift your head up and look down the road.

Oh, and look up! Even when driving the car now I am totally aware of the overhead clearance wherever I go.
X2 - if you are sitting on the left wheel path you the coach is centered in the lane.
Old 04-15-2017, 06:40 PM   #42

Ok..... got her home and I absolutely loved driving my coach! When my wife parked her car in the driveway, she hopped in and we took our coach to a friends house and enjoyed showing them and another couple came over also.

The ride is a little roly poly but I was blessed to drive as fast as 65 without worries! And I didn't have any issues with traffic when we got back in Rochester driving on the expressways!

I'm a happy camper....... literally!