Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 11-19-2011, 08:15 PM   #15
We had an 1986 Itasca Class A. One of the first things we noticed about our DP was that we could hold a conversation (and hear each other) while traveling down the road. The noise didn't just come from the engine, but road noise and rattles. The second thing was that my foot wasn't over heating. Even though it's an older rig, it still glides down the road like you're on a cloud.

Kent and Sally Lunda
1996 Newmar Mountain Aire/Slide 300HP Cummins8.3C
2004 Honda Odyssey (Toad)
Kjlunda is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-20-2011, 07:12 AM   #16
Thor Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We reworked our ford chassis dog house using Dynamat - you can call them (search for Dynamat) for advice on how thick and where to purchase. While I bought ours from the reseller they suggested, I found out later that most sound system specialty shops also carry it, which in our case would have made it a 15 minute round trip versus 3 hours.

It really masked the noise level we were hearing from the engine!

Cheers from Central Texas
SPICoaster - 2008 Holiday Rambler Alumascape Suite 5th Wheel
SPICoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 07:32 AM   #17
On the gas vs diesel topics I've heard over and over about how quiet the gassers are and that diesel pushers are overated. Now I hear gassers complaining about noise? What's next, complaints about maintenance costs, which are sooooooo extremely high in diesels and soooooooo extremely low in gassers?

You guys crack me up.

bucks2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 09:55 AM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Sorry to hear about your issues. I hate to say it but even a hard pull on a hill at 3600 rpm makes no diff at all. But I do remember having the Ford V-10 in my Adventurer making so much noise that I couldn't even think. Kinda reminded me of riding in a Tank in my early days in the Army.
So, needless to say, my Voyage is going to be around for a long time
2012 Itasca Meridian 42E, Roadmaster Tow System, Unified Brakes on Toad
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland. US Army Armor. Ret
Finhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 10:09 AM   #19
Wow that must be alot of noise. I have an 87 Allegro with a 454 and I can carry on a conversation with the DW, listen to music and enjoy the ride. Whats nice is I use that as an excuse to not listen to the kids. A little pay back. The only time it gets real noisey is when the fan clutch kicks in. I can't imagine a newer gas coach making that kind of noise. I will be insulating the dog house the spring to reduce the noise and heat more.
2017 Grand Design Reflection 303 RLS
1997 GMC Sierra 3500 Dually
Go Dawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 10:09 AM   #20
We pretty much had the same problem as you are and solved it by first removing all the carpet in the front area. From the drivers & passengers area back is tile. We found the carpet was about the cheapest grade one can get and there was not anything under it. We then put a moisture barrier down, and then a sound barrier. In the drivers and passengers area we put in laminate wood flooring, and then the best carpet we could find for over the dog house. Now driving is really a pleasure. There is next to no noise at all. And an added plus is the area is much easier to keep clean with the wood flooring. We would do this upgrade again.

The photos show work in process and completed.
Attached Images
R & E
No RV at the moment
OSP1268 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 01:40 PM   #21
I think this is the first thread ever with the husband WANTING to hear his wife???
All kidding aside, the insulation sound deadening material works great.
gauto5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 03:01 PM   #22
Ford Super Duty Owner
As someone else said their 2008 is quiet. Our 2008 is very quiet on the F 53 Ford chassis compared to the 2000 model we had. Sound deadening material over the engine area should give a high degree of noise reduction. In our old 2000 model I tossed a small but thivk throw rug over the engine cover and found it made for less noise, so I think with the new sound deadening materials you will see a huge improvement.
zippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 04:25 PM   #23
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have, at times, fully understood what you are saying about having to yell over the noise.. However.. For my RV this is **NOT NORMAL** and I mean NOT NORMAL.

Take a very very close look at the gasket surrounding your windshield. LOOK (and feel when driving) for leaks or errors.

if you have a microphone you can tape to the end of a stick LISTEN with a cassete recorder. have the "co-pilot" move the mic around the edges of the windshield, under the dash, around the door, etc as the rig is driven, and listen to headphones in the "Record Monitor" Jack or mode. (You can use any recorder with a "monitor" mode)

(HECK.. I could likely use my Tapkie mixer and it's monitor mode. (Forget the recorder) )
Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 09:04 AM   #24
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My 03 Adventurer is really not all that loud. Now my E450 (Same Engine)was a different story. I guess if you buy a MH expecting a Lincoln quiet ride, then one would be disappointed. IMHO, my V-10 is not loud at all and my wife and I ride down the road trying to figure out what everyone on the forums is fussing about when it comes to ride noise and comfort. Of course we did 3 cross country trips in a rattling Class C. So our perspective is squewered a bit.
2003 Winne Adventurer, Ford F53 V-10. Toad:1992 S-10, Stowmaster Towbar, Blue Ox Patriot brake system and Protect-a-Tow. Right is right even if no one is doing it; Wrong is wrong even if everyone is doing it--St Augustine of Hippo. Navy AD.
navychaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 09:19 AM   #25
At first I thought my engine was loud, but then really listened. I don't really notice any engine noise, unless going up a steep climb. The biggest noise I can hear are the tires and my rolling house displacing tons of air - I don't think insulating the doghouse is going to fix any of that.

Are you absolute sure the noise is the engine and not just the outside tire/wind noise?
dropframe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 09:36 AM   #26
We have a '91 Itasca with a 454 in it. The heat bothered me MORE than the noise. If we took a trip of any distance in the summer, I think we could have served my right foot for dinner!

I had enough one day and went looking locally for a cheap solution. I found this stuff at Home Depot:

24 in. x 25 ft. Staple Tab Insulation-ST24025 at The Home Depot

It's thin, cuts with regular scissors and took about a half hour to "fabricate" covering the inside of the dog house with 2 pieces. I secured it with an industrial grade spray adhesive and sealed the seams with aluminum tape.

FWIW: it's 2 sheets of foil type material with "bubble-wrap in the middle. I was concerned about how it would hold up to the engine heat. I've kept an eye on it and it looks fine, about 18 months later.

The improvement in lower heat and noise levels was awesome. First trip out, I heard a "strange" noise once we were up on the highway . . . scared me for a minute, then it stopped . . . came back on again a while later, then stopped again . . . once I realized that it was the electric radiator fan kicking on, I kinda chuckled . . . it had never come on before because we were getting all the excess heat!

You can still hear the engine, but it's nothing like it was before. My right foot is healing nicely! Best $40 I've spent in a while!

1991 32' Winnebago Itasca
bought used in 2009 - our first
Ken-55 is offline   Reply With Quote