Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-25-2014, 10:13 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandec View Post
Nope, that button is as you describe.

My toggle for discharging the brake air tank vents is on the left console.
i don't remember seeing a toggle for discharging at the left console, but i will go to the garage tomorrow to check it out...

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-26-2014, 06:48 AM   #30

American Coach Owners Club
My Filter and Maint Schedule

Oil and Filter--- 10,000 miles
All 3 Fuel Filters--- 8,000 miles
Dryer Filter-------- Annually
Front Hub Oil-------Annually
Chassis Lube-------3 times a year
Diff Oil ------------ 30,000 miles
Air Cleaner---------10,000 miles
Drain Air Tanks----When its parked for 2 weeks or more
Clean Radiator-----twice a year

NHRA225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 07:03 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHRA225 View Post
Oil and Filter--- 10,000 miles
All 3 Fuel Filters--- 8,000 miles
Dryer Filter-------- Annually
Front Hub Oil-------Annually
Chassis Lube-------3 times a year
Diff Oil ------------ 30,000 miles
Air Cleaner---------10,000 miles
Drain Air Tanks----When its parked for 2 weeks or more
Clean Radiator-----twice a year
Don't know where you got that maintenance schedule but it is certainly different from what Freightliner is using.
Old 04-26-2014, 11:24 AM   #32

Winnebago Owners Club
When I was at FCCC in Gaffney last year for service they told me that I had cables behind the front tires to pull every so often. In truth I have still not remembered to do it. And, sad to say, I am one of those coach owners who never serviced his air dryer. This one has been services from front to back.

Filter shelf life is often overlooked. Three years is about all the manufacture recommended for most filters. Once in service the air filter is good for up to 5 years. Even this is debatable. Like tires, it is the judgement call of the coach owner.
Rick & Melissa Young & Dawson, 2011 Itasca Meridian 40U, Freightliner XCL, Cummins ISL 380HP/DEF, Allison 3000 MH, 2014 Honda CR-V, SMI AF1, Blue Ox tow equip., TST 507 TPMS, TruCenter steering control, Hughes auto transformer.
Servants On Wheels Ever Ready. Best job we ever paid to do . (full time volunteers)
jerichorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 12:44 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerichorick View Post
When I was at FCCC in Gaffney last year for service they told me that I had cables behind the front tires to pull every so often. In truth I have still not remembered to do it. And, sad to say, I am one of those coach owners who never serviced his air dryer. This one has been services from front to back.

Filter shelf life is often overlooked. Three years is about all the manufacture recommended for most filters. Once in service the air filter is good for up to 5 years. Even this is debatable. Like tires, it is the judgement call of the coach owner.
Freightliner Gaffney is now changing air filters every two years. Yearly on the fuel and oil filters. Every three years on the dryers. They recommend pulling the cables to drain the air tanks every two weeks. Maybe you can tell I just finished Camp Freightliner .
Old 04-27-2014, 08:27 PM   #34

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by F117plt View Post
Freightliner Gaffney is now changing air filters every two years. Yearly on the fuel and oil filters. Every three years on the dryers. They recommend pulling the cables to drain the air tanks every two weeks. Maybe you can tell I just finished Camp Freightliner .
I know this is true. I was in contact with Racor and they, the filter manufacturer, told me that 3 years was an acceptable life expectancy, but with on the road use over long park times (implied by them) 5 years was not outside the capability of the filter material.

The way they put it, if the filter materials are left on the shelf in a controlled environment the materials dry out and separate. Parts of the filter can be drawn into the turbo causing a catastrophic failure. Parking in stable weather with little fluctuation in temperature and humidity is about the same. Most of us don't camp in those conditions. Even the desert has drastic day to night swings. FCCC has to protect their warranty so the worst case is a good benchmark for them.

Again, it is the responsibility of each of us to be aware of our requirements and compare them with the manufactures recommendations. For example, every time I have drained my water separator I have had no water in it. I buy fuel from active and well established stations. I tend to avoid the 'old' establishments with old equipment. Water in the tank is more likely. But, I may get caught some day. Draining the water separator before a bad fuel pickup is of no help at all.

Maintenance is very important. The frequency is the question. A simple fluids test periodically is another way to meet the requirements. I use Blackstone Labs.

I hope we are not in too great a disagreement here. I do enjoy these exchanges on the forum and I learn so much. I am willing to admit that I don't have all of the answers or the final word. If I did I would be a water walker. Definitely not there!

Happy trails.

Rick
Rick & Melissa Young & Dawson, 2011 Itasca Meridian 40U, Freightliner XCL, Cummins ISL 380HP/DEF, Allison 3000 MH, 2014 Honda CR-V, SMI AF1, Blue Ox tow equip., TST 507 TPMS, TruCenter steering control, Hughes auto transformer.
Servants On Wheels Ever Ready. Best job we ever paid to do . (full time volunteers)
jerichorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 08:55 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by docj View Post
You specifically told the OP "I would not worry too much about that Allison unless the fluid color is off". All I was doing was pointing out that it is extremely important to find out what fluid is in the Allison. If it is not Transynd I wouldn't be at all surprised if the previous owner never changed it. If that was the case I would want a fluid analysis before purchasing the vehicle.

I'm sorry if I offended you by the stridency of my advice, but maintenance of transmissions is often overlooked by RVers because they think they are "bulletproof". Unfortunately, this is only true if they are maintained.
That is right, "don't worry unless the fluid color is off". So where in there do you see me telling him NOT to service it?
Old 04-27-2014, 09:55 PM   #36

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey Run View Post
That is right, "don't worry unless the fluid color is off". So where in there do you see me telling him NOT to service it?
Many of us are unable to tell much about the condition of transmission fluid from its color as it appears to the naked eye, nor are we even able to distinguish between Transynd and the Dexron family of fluids. I would normally rely on a laboratory analysis for both of these determinations.

I didn't realize you had the ability to determine these characteristics from the color of the fluid and I apologize for doubting your advice.
docj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 06:33 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by docj View Post
Many of us are unable to tell much about the condition of transmission fluid from its color as it appears to the naked eye, nor are we even able to distinguish between Transynd and the Dexron family of fluids. I would normally rely on a laboratory analysis for both of these determinations.

I didn't realize you had the ability to determine these characteristics from the color of the fluid and I apologize for doubting your advice.
One more time, I did NOT provide any advise. WHERE do you see advise?

It seems when I attempted to make the gentleman feel a bit better about something which was obviously too late to change (he already bought the thing) I was not specific or technical enough to suit everyone here. Please excuse my attempt at kindness toward him. Next time I will be certain to email a service manual and tell the troubled soul that he/she got screwed. That is the problem with these boards, the self proclaimed "experts" tend to walk all over everyone. In order to be human, a person should also possess some positive feeling toward other human beings and hopefully not make peccary pie out of stuff which cannot be changed, i.e. he already owns the thing, so why the doom and gloom? Change the fluid and filters, have it analyzed if you want, cut the drama and move on.