Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-28-2012, 12:10 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Thank you all, great advice.

Do I get these things installed at an RV dealer or can a truck shop do it?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-28-2012, 01:37 PM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yasir View Post

Either.

Just google some terms like "RV SWAY BAR", "RV steering assist" and "RV track bar" to find those that make them and who sells/distributes them. The latest, greatest steering assist is by Blue Ox. It can be adjusted while driving down the road by a button in the cab. Kind of like the trim setting in an aircraft.

Old 06-28-2012, 02:10 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:

Hi and welcome to the forum.

A lot of good advice so far IMHO. Since you live out west, a DP would certainly come in handy on some of the hard climbs but as others have pointed out, there may well be some things you can do to your existing coach far short of replacing your coach... although generally speaking a gasser chassis will have a hard time matching the stability of a DP.

Rather than just beginning to add aftermarket parts, another option for you might be to take a drive north to Grants Pass, Oregon and make an appointment at Henderson's Line Up. They offer a Road Test Assessment where you tell them what you think you're experiencing and then they take your coach out for about a 10 mile test ride with you along for the ride.

They then provide you with a written assessment of how they feel the rig handled and a prioritized list of options which they can perform to address any problems. I did this with my brand new DP and it made a world of difference.

Best of luck.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 02:12 PM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
...Rather than just beginning to add aftermarket parts, another option for you might be to take a drive north to Grants Pass, Oregon and make an appointment at Henderson's Line Up. They offer a Road Test Assessment where you tell them what you think you're experiencing and then they take your coach out for about a 10 mile test ride with you along for the ride...
X2

If I was in that area, I would absolutely do this!
Old 06-28-2012, 02:15 PM   #19

No matter how many aftermarket handling add-ons you put on a gas coach it will never equal the ride and handling of a good DP. The difference is far more than a switch from a gas engine to a diesel engine. DP's are built on a heavier and more sophisticated (read "More expensive)chassis generally with air suspension and air brakes. Just about everything about a DP will be of a higher quality. That is why they cost more.

Jim
jauguston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 02:40 PM   #20

Yasir- the real question about aftermarket add ons is whether you will get to a driveability level that will be satisfactory. Its a gamble. You will likely notice the differences with true heavy duty sway bars & SteerSafe. Maybe not from a new "bell crank" and other stuff. The Flair was a bottom level entry offering, and every corner was cut to get the price point down, including chassis specs. Certainly the cheapest thing to try is handling upgrades, if you current "house" works for you still. I feel your pain, we traded a P30 chassis Trek because although it was a fabulous house, it was a killer to drive, and I never got a good feel for upgrades to fix the wandering. You have a larger (if GM, it may be the P32 chassis?) rig, and there are more upgrades available now than 04/05 when we switched.

In Fresno you are about a 5 hours including a pit stop from Redlands Truck & RV Performance, an iRV2 sponsor. They specialize in RVs and cover handling issues. I would rate them second in knowledge to Henderson's who are the premier handling gurus. Redlands even sells various of Henderson's aftermarket parts. They will have knowledge about your chassis & what types of upgrades are available.
Old 06-28-2012, 03:04 PM   #21

I had a 37' on a P-30 chasis with steer safe and it was a night mare in cross winds and trucks passing; just like yours. I traded up to a 39' on a Ford chasis, and man what a difference. My last one was a 40' gas on a Freightliner chasis and it was the best of all. Your basisc problem is the P-30 chasis and you can spend a ton of money trying to make it better or just bite the bullet and trade out of the P-30. I have never owned a DP with air suspension so I can't comment other than they cost a heck of a lot more and service is alot more also.
Old 06-28-2012, 04:01 PM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
If u are at the point in your life where u can budget $100k....
U should be driving a diesel.

There is nothing gasser that can compare with the ride, handling, and quiet of a diesel pusher, period.

Find the money first. Suntrust financial, eiither direct or thru destination financial or essex, is the biggie in rv loans.
Best deals on rigs less than 5 years old, but will finance back to 2002 models. They will do well over 110% loan to value.

A credit union will also loan money on an rv.

Most regular banks won't.

Back to "your new coach", i llove my 08 monaco, it's 8 bag roadmaster chassis is unbeatable (except by a 10 bag tag axle roadmaster!)
Old 06-29-2012, 05:52 PM   #23

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:

I own a 36 ft 94 Flair, low miles and wonderful but got tired of holding on so hard when a trailer passes by or if it is windy on the road. So I decided to look into Diesel and prices are just crazy. I wanted to put $50k down and possibly finance another 25-50k but I can't find something descent.
1. There are many DP's with lots of life left for less than $75,000.

2. The NADA on my rig is about $17,000. It has 88,000 miles and 17 years on its rails, but fits our needs just fine and it has perhaps another 200,000 miles to go on the drive train.

3. If you are also looking to upgrade to a longer rig, more slides, more features like additional heating and cooling, Aquahot, full body paint etc., then you are not just solving the wandering problem but also filling additional wants with the diesels you are shopping for.

I counted eight DP's with an asking price of $80,000 or less that could fit your criteria at http://Demartinirv.com
1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 05:59 PM   #24

Yep, we looked at them all and have a 13 Monaco on order

Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by H. Miller View Post
As I understand it, the downside of a gasser is the spring suspension system compared to the air bags on most diesels. We have the 8 bag Monaco and haven't noticed a truck in 15,000+ miles. Also the air brake is a great improvement on most DP's....
Old 07-04-2012, 09:23 PM   #25

Yasir,

To simply this discussion, and these are from my knowledge base of 40 years of RVing in just about everything.

1. Without question any newer coach, be it gas or diesel, will handle better than
your current coach (new technology, etc.).

2. Suspension on a diesel is superior to any comparable gas coach, more weight,
bigger frame components, air suspension, Exhaust Brake, quiet up front, brakes
that last up to 250000 miles if taken care of, etc., etc., etc.

3. Maintenance costs are almost identical if you do most of the maintenance
yourself. Diesels require less maintenance per mile than Gas ex: recommended
Gas oil change ~5000 miles, Diesel ~15000 miles.

4. Same year purchase price will be higher in a diesel coach than in a gas coach,
amenities will be similar.

5. Gas and diesel coaches are used for all types of distances, some a few miles,
some several thousand miles, most both.

6. You can find very nice quality mid priced diesel coaches up to at least
2005, maybe a little newer for < $100,000, many with 3 or 4 slides.

7. The real consideration should be floor plan, cost, and useage. If you plan to
cruise in the Rocky mountains, the diesel is the preferred choice by most.

Good luck with your choice. i'm sure you'll enjoy it

2003 Fleetwood Expedition 38N 2005 Saturn Vue
jlfbatonrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 04:31 AM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
Tag axle

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBeauchamp View Post
If it's trrailers driving by that is your biggest problem then a DP with a tag axle is the ultimate. The no-tag DP is second best and you can probably find one of those (yr 2000 to 2002) for around $75K (with a couple of slides).
Speak from experience, first coach was a class C, 2nd was a 27 ft Brave then 32 ft Adventurer then 36ft Vectra DP, then 40ft Ult. Freedom and now a 43 Newmar (with tag). I saw an improvement each time especially on first DP (because of the weight); with the tag (current RV), trailers are driving by un-noticed...

Newbie question...

What is meant by a 'tag axle'

Is that the 3rd axle I see on the big DP's ?

Thanks
Old 09-18-2012, 04:51 AM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
Hi and welcome to the forum.

A lot of good advice so far IMHO. Since you live out west, a DP would certainly come in handy on some of the hard climbs but as others have pointed out, there may well be some things you can do to your existing coach far short of replacing your coach... although generally speaking a gasser chassis will have a hard time matching the stability of a DP.

Rather than just beginning to add aftermarket parts, another option for you might be to take a drive north to Grants Pass, Oregon and make an appointment at Henderson's Line Up. They offer a Road Test Assessment where you tell them what you think you're experiencing and then they take your coach out for about a 10 mile test ride with you along for the ride.

They then provide you with a written assessment of how they feel the rig handled and a prioritized list of options which they can perform to address any problems. I did this with my brand new DP and it made a world of difference.

Best of luck.

Rick

Rick,

What changes did that outfit suggest?

Which did you do?

Thanks!
Old 09-18-2012, 05:54 AM   #28

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bukzin View Post
Newbie question...

What is meant by a 'tag axle'

Is that the 3rd axle I see on the big DP's ?

Thanks
The 2nd axel behind the drive axle on a motorhome is considered a tag axle. On tractor trailer rigs ( commercial ) it is still considered a drive axel.