Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-02-2016, 11:35 AM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoFree View Post
39' may well be too long for a gasser, but this is Newmar after all and I don't see them building a coach the chassis can't handle.

Most will agree Tiffin/Newmar are the best of the gassers. You may be right about the noise difference, but I'm hard pressed to believe the Tiffin could be significant quieter than Newmar.

And I did show the price difference at the end of my post!
Newmar just had a recall on the 2016 DS for under capacity front axle and air bags depending upon the model. There are several threads chronicling the evolving situation and how it was handled. Other manufacturers have had similar issues.

Did you have any weights of the coaches? IMO the empty gasser on springs would not be a fair comparison to an empty DP. Loading the springs will result in improved ride and handling much more than an air ride. My 450 diesel rides terribly when empty, much more docile when loaded.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-02-2016, 12:06 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoFree View Post
[COLOR="Blue"]...but this is Newmar after all and I don't see them building a coach the chassis can't handle.
You might not see it but they have. The overloaded front axle on some recent models for instance.

Old 07-02-2016, 12:11 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMan59 View Post
But did you decide on the Palazzo or the LE? Supposedly they fixed the Palazzo slide issue.
Frankly, the Palazzo irritates me more than I can tell you, I liked it wayyyyyyyy too much! I want the extra room of a 40 footer and that keeps me with the Ventana. Iím awaiting news from Newmar right now to see if theyíll make a design change Iíve requested. Iíll let you know. And yes, I understand Thor's new triple track system has handled the slide problem. Would like to hear if anyone has found different!

Quote:
Originally Posted by purrin along View Post
I just looked at the Palazzo for the first time.Very nice floor plan, and a lot better price.Good luck!
Did you drive it?

Quote:
FYI, if price was no object, he would be comparing a King Air to a Allegro Bus. And whats the deal with these prices anyway? I keep reading DP's are $100,000 more than a gasser.
That depends on the diesel their talking about doesnít it?
Old 07-02-2016, 12:14 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I thought a Freightliner/Cummins chassis would feel and handle about the same but they donít.
Why would you think that? Do a Chevy Corvette and a Chevy Cruze feel/handle the same because both are "on a GM chassis"? Freightliner Custom Chassis makes several chassis models, and within those models offers dozens of major configuration differences, e.g. different axles and gearing, different trannies, more or less GVWR, etc. Plus, the XCS chassis under the Palazzo is quite different than the XCR under the Ventana LE.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 12:18 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
Why would you think that? Do a Chevy Corvette and a Chevy Cruze feel/handle the same because both are "on a GM chassis"? Freightliner Custom Chassis makes several chassis models, and within those models offers dozens of major configuration differences, e.g. different axles and gearing, different trannies, more or less GVWR, etc. Plus, the XCS chassis under the Palazzo is quite different than the XCR under the Ventana LE.
You are righty of course. I was talking in context with what I was looking at. I know freightline has different chassis diesel combinations and that some manufacturers make additions to them as well. As I said I was talking current model specific!

BTW does anyone have the "UVW" of the Palazzo 36.2? I couldn't find it anywhere.
Old 07-02-2016, 02:16 PM   #20

WyoFree No I didn't drive one, but just looked on line at the
floor plan.I am not ready to pull the trigger yet.
purrin along is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 03:16 PM   #21

The OP subject was just excellent and as a result, we've had a mighty thoughtful discussion about the subject at hand. I'm grateful for the discussion.
Old 07-02-2016, 04:58 PM   #22

National RV Owners Club
Let me give my two cents!...ive owned both.. mostly do shorter trips ...one longer one per year. If its a top quality unit and your not putting thousands of miles on it, driving long hours, or fulltiming, the gasser is a more economical choice in the long run due to purchase cost and maintenance. Ive gotten used to driving the f-53 and i honestly dont find a huge difference in the handling....mostly notice it in the power dept...For clarification i had more of an entry level pusher one year newer than my current gas RV with a 300 go cat turbo.. Both national products....new there was about a 60,000 dollar difference between them. Both have almost identical interiors and storage space ..and both are equally as comfortable when set up at 35 and 37ft. However one day when I will put more miles on my rv and take longer trips, i'll be looking for a 40 plus footer for the interior floor space and fuel range for longer hauls...and that means back to a diesel...
Old 07-03-2016, 02:13 AM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Great post WyoFree.

Craig & Carolyn Roberts Apple Valley, CA
2006 Newmar 3910 KSDP 400 ISL Cummins Spartan Mountian Master Chassis
Toad: 2017 GMC Canyon 4X4 Crewcab
DD788Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 07:19 AM   #24

Ford Super Duty Owner
Well done post! Focused on your findings and personalized understanding. Much less emotional than most of these type. Again, thank you.

bigben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 09:35 AM   #25

A nice comparison. I would encourage the OP to look a little further and consider a DP with a tag if you want the very best ride and handling. We had gas models in the early years and they were ok for short trips and towing a lighter toad. Our first DP, a 36' 275 hp Discovery, was an eye opener. Much better ride and quieter. Our current 43' with tag is the best yet for ride, handling, sound level and load carrying capacity. We tow a heavy trailer, so gas is out of the question. In 20 years of DP ownership, the maintenance has consisted of annual oil and filter changes, $350-$400, and buying good fuel. We had two alternator failures, one was under warranty.
Old 07-03-2016, 11:06 AM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
I would also like to add how well done your post is.
I really thought, (now dont hold this against me please!), That you were going into this with your mind made up, and that you would come back praising the gasser as just better from all sides.

I was wrong!

You clearly went in with an open mind and were honest with yourself, and us, as to what you found.
Old 07-03-2016, 12:49 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by DD788Snipe View Post
Great post WyoFree.
Thankís DD7, most appreciated!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigben View Post
Well done post! Focused on your findings and personalized understanding. Much less emotional than most of these type. Again, thank you.
Hi BigBen, You may think ďmuch less emotionalĒ until I hit my bloomen-ed on the slide! But I'm recovered now... What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
A nice comparison. I would encourage the OP to look a little further and consider a DP with a tag if you want the very best ride and handling. We had gas models in the early years and they were ok for short trips and towing a lighter toad. Our first DP, a 36' 275 hp Discovery, was an eye opener. Much better ride and quieter. Our current 43' with tag is the best yet for ride, handling, sound level and load carrying capacity. We tow a heavy trailer, so gas is out of the question. In 20 years of DP ownership, the maintenance has consisted of annual oil and filter changes, $350-$400, and buying good fuel. We had two alternator failures, one was under warranty.
Hi Crasher, I considered a coach with a tag and donít want to spend that much especially on a first coach. I know I could get a good one used for what Iíll be spending new, but new just sounds right to me and my wife. A 40 footer always looked right to me and now that Iíve been in them and drove them Iím really happy with that decision. And how much good advice can I expect from a guy named Crasher?

Quote:
I would also like to add how well done your post is.
I really thought, (now dont hold this against me please!), That you were going into this with your mind made up, and that you would come back praising the gasser as just better from all sides.

I was wrong!

You clearly went in with an open mind and were honest with yourself, and us, as to what you found.
Well thankís TMan, kind words indeed! I would loved nothing better than to have had a good experience with the gas coach. It would save me a boatlaod of money and Canyon Star has a new floorplan that I really - really like. So it would have been the best of both worlds for me if it would have proven out!

Motor coach life is something I really want to enjoy and embrace and talking with you good folks here on the forum makes for a nice transition. Thank you one and all for your comments. Love to hear what you have to say!

Happy 4th of July folks!!!
Old 07-03-2016, 02:21 PM   #28

Hi Crasher, I considered a coach with a tag and donít want to spend that much especially on a first coach. I know I could get a good one used for what Iíll be spending new, but new just sounds right to me and my wife. A 40 footer always looked right to me and now that Iíve been in them and drove them Iím really happy with that decision. And how much good advice can I expect from a guy named Crasher?

Yea, the name is a bit confusing. However, if you were to follow me in my rock crawling Jeep up some near vertical waterfalls (dry of course), or down into a desert canyon and climb back out of it, you would understand the name. In spite of the risks we've taken, I've never rolled it or crashed. You are correct in buying new instead of used. Some save money buying used, but some buy into a set of nightmares that someone else got rid of. Good luck in your new adventure.

Tags
diesel, gas