Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-03-2016, 03:20 PM   #29

Believe me its cheaper to buy what you want the first time.

jrobnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-03-2016, 03:40 PM   #30

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I always say our gasser is perfect for us, for now, and for the way we use it. We still work and can only use our motorhome on occasional weekends and vacations. But all that will change in the next couple years as we are nearing retirement age. Our plan is to hit the road with our gasser and see if we like being on the road for extended time periods. If we do, an upgrade to diesel may be in order. If not, then the gasser will be fine to continue to use for weekends and vacations. I'm sure that if we like full timing the extra capacity and comfort that a diesel offers over a gasser will convince us to trade.

Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 09:13 PM   #31

Our gasser

We bought our Fleetwood bounder 35k new. Fleetwood just came out with a similar floor design in a diesel that I'd love but it's only $100k more.
We've been in wind storms, heavy rain, mountains and so far the gasser is doing fine for me. We'll take a longer trip this fall out west. Our home base during the summer will be in food county wi and we're looking to purchase a pad for the Rv in southern Florida.
If money does start growing on trees I'd love to upgrade to the diesel. Until than , happy 4th to all
Old 07-04-2016, 04:50 AM   #32

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Nice Report,
I too would love to get a DP just for the extra room and towing capability. I would love to be able to tow my Ram 1500 ECODiesel.
As far as Gasser's go, they are fine. I've taken mine from the West Coast to the East Coast and back. Some complain about the fuel capacity but that is not really an issue because you get about 450 miles per tank or better. I figure after 8 hours of pushing wind it's time to park it and rest anyway. Besides it's not always the destination that's enjoyable but the trip there can be very enjoyable.
It's unfortunate that there is only choice of gasser platform at this time, hopefully that will change. It would be nice to see some competition and new ideas, such as FRED's and air ride suspensions.
Maybe someone will offer a FRED, if the coach builders make one I will buy it.
Old 07-04-2016, 01:15 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrobnett View Post
Believe me its cheaper to buy what you want the first time.
Hi Jack, Thatís such an important statement especially for coming into it on or after retirement age. We all come into motor-homing for different reasons to accomplish different things. I for one DO NOT want a 2nd coach, I want to get it right the first time and sit back and enjoy my ONE good choice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easyrider View Post
I always say our gasser is perfect for us, for now, and for the way we use it. We still work and can only use our motorhome on occasional weekends and vacations. But all that will change in the next couple years as we are nearing retirement age. Our plan is to hit the road with our gasser and see if we like being on the road for extended time periods. If we do, an upgrade to diesel may be in order. If not, then the gasser will be fine to continue to use for weekends and vacations. I'm sure that if we like full timing the extra capacity and comfort that a diesel offers over a gasser will convince us to trade.

Sounds like a plan Easyrider and thatís part of what weíre talking about isnít it. Iím not going into my planning thinking about full time. But that said, we are planning to use it as our home for 3 to 4 months a year while out west. It seems to me its the little things that are so often the dealer breaker. Things like, I hate that small shower, the couch is too small to lay on, I hate where the TVís located, I really wanted a king size bed, the bathroom is too small to turn around in, I canít even put a toaster on this stupid counter top etc. Trouble generally doesnít overtake us because of BIG things, weíre pretty good at guarding against those. Itís the other small nagging, dog-gone-it things that end up being the deal breakers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGewl View Post
Maybe someone will offer a FRED, if the coach builders make one I will buy it.
Hey SuperGewl, what in the heck is a FRED?

Thanks for all the good comments you guys are the best!
Old 07-04-2016, 01:22 PM   #34

Oh, I get it. FRED "Foreboding Retired Eccentric Dood"! Why didn't you just say WyoFree.
Old 07-04-2016, 07:54 PM   #35

Nice report. Here is my concern. Did Thor replace the slide with something different than the lippert crap slide out. If not I would still stay away with any rv using it. I know it may be 30k less but once you deal with these slide out issues you will be wishing you spent the extra money. When my slide went out I got lucky and was able to push it in. Had no access to garbage can under sink or washer and dryer. Rv shop had the rv for almost a month. Just not worth the hassle.
Old 07-04-2016, 08:18 PM   #36

Monaco Owners Club
My understanding is they fixed the issue a while back.
Think they went to a 3 chanel track, or something like that.
Just stuff I read on the net.
Old 07-04-2016, 08:25 PM   #37

Yes Tman, they went to a Schwintek Triple Track System I believe in 2015 and they seemed to have solved the slide problem that haunted them in 2013. There are some here why know a lot more than I do who may like to jump in?
Old 07-04-2016, 09:27 PM   #38
cwk

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoFree View Post
Oh, I get it. FRED "Foreboding Retired Eccentric Dood"! Why didn't you just say WyoFree.
Try: FRont Engine Diesel.
cwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 09:52 PM   #39

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoFree View Post
Yes Tman, they went to a Schwintek Triple Track System I believe in 2015 and they seemed to have solved the slide problem that haunted them in 2013. There are some here why know a lot more than I do who may like to jump in?
I have kind of followed the Pallazo because 4 years ago, at our 1st rv show looking at class a coaches, we went in one and was also really impressed with the floorplan.
Old 07-05-2016, 10:18 AM   #40

Winnebago Owners Club
WyoFree. It is my opinion more folks replace a unit because they are unhappy with the floor plan than those who are unhappy with warranty, service or chassis issues.
Old 07-05-2016, 06:58 PM   #41

Gordon I think that's right when you say "It is my opinion more folks replace a unit because they are unhappy with the floor plan than those who are unhappy with warranty, service or chassis issues."

The first thing that was said to me when I started being interested in a motorhome was "find the floor plan you like" and I've heard it many times since. You have to selected what works for you that's for sure!
Old 07-08-2016, 09:23 PM   #42

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My first wife and I have a 40 foot gasser and recently took it through Denver, over the divide via I70 and Eisenhower tunnel and on to Vegas, then back to MS via I40. This is our first motor home. It was fine. Would I have liked to go 65 up a 6% grade? Maybe. I kept 45-50 to keep rpm at high 3's up the hills and had not too much issue coming down. Maybe one day I will drive a DP, but for now, ignorance is bliss. Overall a wonderful trip.

Tags
diesel, gas