Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-23-2017, 09:01 AM   #1

The "Perfect" Motorhome???

We currently have a 2016 Thor Axis 25.3. We have owned it for almost 6 months. We have already put some serious miles on it. Along with a long list of mods/upgrades. When we bought it we had no idea how much we'd truly love traveling and camping in it. So, due to the amount of time we are spending on the road we are looking at upgrading a little. But, at every moment we think we have it figured out we see or read something else that sends us in a different direction. So our "perfect" motorhome is ... 35ft or under; built like a Bluebird; floorplan that easily accommodates 2 kids and a dog (prefer bunks); and a diesel, all within a budget that doesn't break the bank (under 100,000).

We have looked at the Forest River Berkshire, Holiday Rambler & Fleetwood bunk models. But those all are the 39-40 foot range. We REALLY like some of the vintage buses out there and could remodel for a good floorplan. But, those are a bit scary in the amount of $$$$ to maintain them. And we want something that is reliable to make thousands of miles. Should we knock the diesel off the list? Because then the others requirements become easier.
I really wish a manufacturer out there would make a diesel bunk under 35 feet. (yes, I know the Palazzo but was hoping for something a bit better put together).

Perhaps a super C? Although we really like the openness of class A.

Decisions. Decisions. We have a long winter trip already planned, was hoping to have moved over to the new mh by then. But if not we'll still head on out in our Axis.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-23-2017, 09:59 AM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Hope you find the perfect rig for your needs!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 10:38 AM   #3

We moved away from gas coaches in 1999 when we bought our first DP. It was what we wanted at the time and have had five DP's since then. We needed the capacity and towing ability of the Diesel and grew to love the ride and everything that came along with it. If the Thor is your first motorhome and you like it, why not drive it for a year or two while you explore other brands and models. You will undoubtedly discover more options that you will want. I wouldn't jump into another one before I had more miles and trips under my belt. Maybe your planned winter trip will lead you to what you want. Visit dealers and RV shows for that perfect coach for you. I should tell you that it will only remain perfect until you see something that you really like in SOB. Good Luck and enjoy the ride.
Old 09-23-2017, 12:27 PM   #4

Palazzo 33.3 owner here. I love the coach. Its the perfect size and floor plan. I wouldn't trade it for anything. Not sure what you mean by a coach that is "better put together." The Palazzo meets all your criteria. Maybe you should give it a second look.
Old 09-23-2017, 02:33 PM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Best wishes for your search. Be patient, do your research, test drive to narrow down your choices, then be ready to "hunt" for the right unit to come along. It's a seller's market right now. Currently there are only 10 pre-owned 33.3s for sale across the US on RVTrader and they seem to be about 20-30K above your current budget. I drive the non-bunk version 33.2 on the same engine/chassis and it's a great match for this size and weight plus I am always over 10 mpg. Good luck and keep us posted.
JBDALHB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 06:14 AM   #6
Ex Millwright / Army Vet

Wanting a DP, having the amenities you mentioned and having a budget of (under 100,000) is going to immediately eliminate a lot of choices, and obviously put you in a an older MH. The purchasing budget will always steer your choices. And that's good. Always stay within your budget. But, whatever you end up with, it will not be your "Perfect" MH. With any decision, you will have to make some compromises.

Since your current motorhome is new, you're going to take a big hit on depreciation so be prepared for that. And all the money you've spent on upgrades...you're going to lose most of that too. Making the MH the way you want it and upgrading it is nice no doubt. I've made a ton on our MH too. But the only way you'll really ever get your money out of it, is if you plan on keeping it and using it.

Good luck!
marjoa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 03:25 PM   #7

We are back to looking at gas coaches. We are really interested in the Holiday Rambler Admiral 31B. Other than diesel it looks like checks most of the boxes. Our dream coach would be an old bus but they take a big checkbook to keep them up and running.
Old 09-29-2017, 09:11 PM   #8

We bought our last coach first, a 2004 Newmar Mountain Aire 4016. Couldn't be happier.

Tags
motorhome