Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-13-2016, 07:46 AM   #155

Since we've been talking about all this I started looking around for a diesel pusher with the floor plan I like that is similar to the Canyon Star

The MSRP for the Canyon Star 3710 gas coach is $187,000 and the diesel, a Fleetwood Pace Arrow 38K is $262,000. A difference of $75,000. In full disclosure, the 3610 is 38' and the 38K is 40'

Both are evening matched from bath and a half, washer and dryer etc. do you pay $75,000 more for the Pace Arrow?

I mention specific coaches so we have a good subject of comparison!

I wish I knew how to post a picture and I'd show the actual floor plans. Don't know if you'd find that helpful or not?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-13-2016, 08:35 AM   #156

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoFree View Post
Since we've been talking about all this I started looking around for a diesel pusher with the floor plan I like that is similar to the Canyon Star

The MSRP for the Canyon Star 3710 gas coach is $187,000 and the diesel, a Fleetwood Pace Arrow 38K is $262,000. A difference of $75,000. In full disclosure, the 3610 is 38' and the 38K is 40'

Both are evening matched from bath and a half, washer and dryer etc. do you pay $75,000 more for the Pace Arrow?

I mention specific coaches so we have a good subject of comparison!

I wish I knew how to post a picture and I'd show the actual floor plans. Don't know if you'd find that helpful or not?
Does the diesel have air bag leveling? Does it have a 10k hitch? Do you care if the generator is upfront, assuming you sleep in back. Do you like the engine noise in back? Is the diesel a raised rail so you're bays are clear side to side? Are you getting tile floors in the diesel? Does the diesel have an Allison transmission? AquaHot, Etc.

If those don't have $75k more value for you then why spend the money? Keep in mind, I'm not saying one is better than the other.

Now here is my thought on the engine. I have an ISC8.3. It is well powered when not towing it merely adequate towing 8k. My MH is 40'. My personal opinion is that an ISB powered MH would be merely adequate not towing and underpowered towing. Not all diesels are created equal.

Old 05-13-2016, 08:47 AM   #157

I suggest that if a person is going to spend 150k-250k for a motorhome, you buy an insurance policy as I have to cover all that can go wrong. Sure the policy is expensive, but I have had it since 2015 and with a $ 100 deductable I felt I could not go wrong. They have already replaced the washer and one of the jacks. I do keep my maintenance up on a schedule. Excell is a great program for maintenance tracking. I have a 2009 Gulfstream Tourmaster Constellation 45g.
Old 05-13-2016, 08:53 AM   #158

My hope is with the one year warrantee on a new coach that would handle problems with the coach in general. I read somewhere "have at least $20,000 in savings if buying a DP" and I took that to heart, Even for a gasser!
Old 05-13-2016, 09:18 AM   #159

The best Motor Home is the one you OWN! After all, if you don't OWN it, assuming you aren't renting, then you can't USE it!

Whatever you have, use it, enjoy it, and don't take life (or this thread) too seriously!
Old 05-13-2016, 11:20 AM   #160

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hit_the_Rhod View Post
The best Motor Home is the one you OWN! After all, if you don't OWN it, assuming you aren't renting, then you can't USE it!

Whatever you have, use it, enjoy it, and don't take life (or this thread) too seriously!
X2.....buy what ever fits your needs and get out there and have fun in it.
Old 05-13-2016, 03:36 PM   #161

Nothing beats an old "Beaver"!!
Old 05-13-2016, 07:20 PM   #162

Gulf Streamers Club
My dad told me...

As I was entering manhood my dad gave me my adult education training. It amounted to "you don't miss what you have never had".

That advice goes well for this thread. I have never owned a DP, and therefore cannot make a fair comparison or have a fair opinion. All I can say is when we bought our gasser, we bought what we could reasonably afford for the amount of time we expected to use it and have been happy with the results.

That was 6 years ago and we have since retired, sold the house and downsized to the point where everything we own is with us...so the last 18 months we have been fulltimers. We are pushing the GVWR to the limit, but are still finding things to get rid of during our monthly "let's clean house".

We don't expect ending our current full time lifestyle anytime soon, and can afford within reason what we want be it gasser or DP.

Now that the preamble is done, here is what my wife and I are discussing.

1. Are we happy with the amenities this size RV provides both in convenience items like an ice maker all the way to power going up hills? Generally the answer is we are happy. A more powerful engine/transmission combo would be nice especially as we plan on more mountainous regions in the near future. A larger bedroom would be handy as we are not as nimble as we used to be. It might be nice to have a bigger frig/freezer and a larger hot water heater. We really don't need marble or corian counters, tile floors, or an extra 1/2 bath.

2. Do we want to go above the 26,000 lb threshhold for our current drivers licenses and have to bother with getting a Class B or Class A license (Texas domicile)? We have ruled that out. We want to stay under 26,000 lbs. That means we will stay in the 36-37 foot range and know that gives us plenty to chose from. I also think we could get those few amenities like the frig/freezer in that range.

There are other considerations but those two pretty well size it up. So we have been researching our next Class A. We probably won't buy new, so we are looking to buy a 4-5 year old unit in the next year or two...2012-2014 models.

Using our research of Fleetwood coaches for comparison purposes, it appears that a DP will cost $30-40K more than a comparable gas coach.

So is the better ride and more powerful engine worth that extra cash?

I guess we won't know the answer until we go take a test drive in a DP....
Old 05-13-2016, 08:39 PM   #163

Hey KP, I hope you'll let us know after your test drive. That would be great information!
Old 05-13-2016, 09:44 PM   #164

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinewalker View Post
I guess no one noticed the whine of that V10 wound up tight...

LOL! Yeh...I did. Good lord that thing was screaming! 4,000 RPM at 60 mph...what a horrendous racket! No thanks.

A 6% grade in our DP is just as quiet going uphill as it is going down. No noise at all, at 65 mph in 6th gear at 1,800 RPM. Pulling a 2-axle trailer.

We'll have to chip in and buy him some ear plugs.
Old 05-13-2016, 10:47 PM   #165

Let’s see if I get this right, the reason you brought the equipment you presently own or have owned such as :
Tent
Pop up camper
Travel trailer
Fifth wheel trailer
Gas powered motor home
Front engine Diesel Motor home
DP motor home
Is:
Was at the price you wanted to pay
Fits your needs
What you wanted or thought you wanted
Is still fulfilling yours and your family needs and you are fully satisfied with it.
Am I forgetting anything? Oh yeah, the reason I follow this forum.
Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts
Would be a boring forum if we all had the same equipment, likes and dislikes you think?
I'd shake on that, won't you???

DTW
Old 05-13-2016, 10:51 PM   #166

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVRVLUVR View Post
with no hands on the steering wheel....ever see me drive my boat??
Nice. Nothing like WOT on the water...
Old 05-13-2016, 11:33 PM   #167

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonfu
DP's are an age thing. When in one's 20's to 50's we still have enough sense not to spend $200k on a vehicle. But suddenly when we turn 60 and the end is in sight, we think "why not buy the best, I worked for it! Most folks who buy DP's don't work on them at all. They have no clue how much work it is to change a fan clutch in a DP vs. a Gasser. Of course there is the myth about how a DP will last longer between repairs than a gasser. Not true.

Really? We bought our first DP in 2000 when I was 53, guess I didn't get the memo! And I do all my own work other than major engine work and I'm 69 now. Changed the front shocks about a month ago to the new KONI EVO 99 model shocks.
Old 05-14-2016, 12:08 AM   #168

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVRVLUVR View Post
i'll be 63 this year...hope I make it..
Let's hope you don't "ware" out soon.

Oh, and I've flown airplanes hands off many times...

Closed Thread

Tags
diesel